Xbox 360 Elite Data Migration

nathankemp

Ex Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, for those of you that wish to transfer the data from your old Xbox 360 Premium or Core consoles to your new Xbox 360 Elite you will probably be surprised, as I was, to find that your new console does not come with a transfer cable!

Fear not, all you have to do is download a pdf from the Microsoft website, complete and return it and you will receive a free migration kit from Microsoft UK within 10 days of receipt of the form.

You can download the application form from here:

http://www.xbox.com/NR/rdonlyres/B4.../MigrationorderformincludingEuropewithfax.pdf

:thumbsup:

but what about the people who are trading in there 360 premiums for an elite ? why oh why they just werent bundled in with the console or even just have a few at the shop is beyond me.not having a pop at you btw :)

Funny you should ask that question. If you buy your Xbox Elite from GAME they guarantee to give you £140 for your old Premium console if you return it to them before 31st September.

On top of that they are offering the Elite console with Bioshock for only £309.99. You should also consider that you will get £7.50 back if you have a loyalty card, which is free to sign up for.

Funny you should ask that question. If you buy your Xbox Elite from GAME they guarantee to give you £140 for your old Premium console if you return it to them before 31st September.

On top of that they are offering the Elite console with Bioshock for only £309.99. You should also consider that you will get £7.50 back if you have a loyalty card, which is free to sign up for.

£299 from gamestation for the bioshock deal

Hi everyone, for those of you that wish to transfer the data from your old Xbox 360 Premium or Core consoles to your new Xbox 360 Elite you will probably be surprised, as I was, to find that your new console does not come with a transfer cable!

Fear not, all you have to do is download a pdf from the Microsoft website, complete and return it and you will receive a free migration kit from Microsoft UK within 10 days of receipt of the form.

You can download the application form from here:

http://www.xbox.com/NR/rdonlyres/B4.../MigrationorderformincludingEuropewithfax.pdf

:thumbsup:

quicker just to phone up microsoft and give them your serial numbers

I dont need one, but what happens to the people who traded in a console for the elite. How would they supply the old serial number??

I dont need one, but what happens to the people who traded in a console for the elite. How would they supply the old serial number??

I think it's only relevant for people who have both consoles in hand.

It's quite helpful to be able to buy the new Elite from the retailer on the understanding that they will buy the old console back from you at an agreed price once you have done the data transfer, very helpful. :thumbsup:

If you register your new Elite with MS over the phone then they'll send one out to you with out the need for the serial number of your traded 360......although if you've traded it how are you going to transfer data anyway ;):D

If you register your new Elite with MS over the phone then they'll send one out to you with out the need for the serial number of your traded 360......although if you've traded it how are you going to transfer data anyway ;):D

Gamestation are allowing you to take your harddrive home to transfer your files and then take the harddrive back in.

How much are gamestation gonna charge you for the elite + bioshock deal when you trade in your prem xbox. Is it the same as game i.e £160 on top?? Thanks

How much are gamestation gonna charge you for the elite + bioshock deal when you trade in your prem xbox. Is it the same as game i.e £160 on top?? Thanks

Game & Gamestation are essentially the same company now so I suspect their pricing structure to be similar.

FYI, I enquired about the Elite/Bioshock package in the Reading branch of Gamestation today and they are quoting £319 not £299 as stated in a earlier posting. However, this may differ from branch to branch.

Game & Gamestation are essentially the same company now so I suspect their pricing structure to be similar.

FYI, I enquired about the Elite/Bioshock package in the Reading branch of Gamestation today and they are quoting £319 not £299 as stated in a earlier posting. However, this may differ from branch to branch.

Ok thanks, ill check it out tomorrow after work. I rekon that might be a bank holiday speical price i think

bought mine in gamestation worthing for £299 with bioshock on friday so they are doing it :)

If you transfer your HDD content, does that allow you to play your arcade games offline?

Nope,thats something you cant do.
you must be signed into LIVE to have full games and not demos.
same goes for the americans,with the movies they download,they cant be watched at all,when migrated.
ive already phoned up microsoft,and asked for all 11000 or so points ive spent,to be refunded,and am waiting on a call back regarding this,as once i get my elite,im going to have to make a new account on it,and redownload what i want..again,with another user account.

Hey I thought it would be a good idea if we post on here as and when the 'migration' kits arrive, im sure all the new Elite adopters have sent their form/called up.

I rang on Saturday so im hoping soon, wanna get rid of the Premium and get my money from GAME!!

same goes for the americans,with the movies they download,they cant be watched at all,when migrated.
ive already phoned up microsoft,and asked for all 11000 or so points ive spent,to be refunded,and am waiting on a call back regarding this,as once i get my elite,im going to have to make a new account on it,and redownload what i want..again,with another user account.

How did you manage that? When I phoned MS Support regarding this, they told me "that is a lie, I don't know where you read that but it's not true, we will not be doing that for you", in their finest engrish :mad:

i just phoned them..ive done it a few times now,with every console ive replaced.
when you get a new console,you cant play the games you downloaded on the last one,even if you keep the hard drive,offline..you can only play them online,when signed into LiVE.
so phone them up,explain whats happened,tell them about the fact they are demos only,offline,give them the names and points of whats been downloaded,and tell them you want them back,so you can play them offline,as you are entitled to.
and now,with the migration kits,ive been told by over 12 people on my friends list,that the games are not playable on the elite,offline,as they are all demos.
fine when signed in,but not when offline.
i got 9000 the last time,and now,with space giraffe,and others,its up to 11000.
its microsoft and the DRM fiasco,and its still going on with the elite.
they said they were going to fix it,but never have.

this is one of the threads on it:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=606231&highlight=points+refund
there are more..and lots of people have done it.
just phone back till someone will do it for you.

RottenFox,

As you know, MS have been totally pathetic regarding the DRM problem. Not only have they failed to address a major problem that has been known about for well over a year but their points refund based workaround is both time consuming and unfair especially if, like me, you chose to buy a replacement rather than send the faulty console back to MS for repair. MS reps have been telling us for a while now that you are not eligible for the points refund unless you sent your console in for repair. In fact, the latest way of dealing with the DRM issue is based on MS doing some sort of licence transfer when you get a refurb unit from them. It looks like they may be trying to reduce and eventually stop the points refund system, which of course they could do if they instigated a DRM transfer system (even if it did involve calling MS support to do it). However, MS do not seem at all interested in fixing the problem. As long as people continue to buy content from Xbox live, feeding the MS coffers, unaware that they will be hit by the issue when their 360 goes belly up or if they upgrade, why should they?

They have also made it clear that users upgrading to the Elite will not be eligible for points refund for reasons only know to the donkeys in charge at MS - not a great way to treat their already beleaguered customers but that doesn't seem to bother them.

Can I suggest that anyone affected by the pathetically restrictive DRM used by the 360 to read this thread:

http://forums.xbox.com/15042580/ShowPost.aspx

It is a very long thread that has been running for well over a year. It gives a good indication of MS's reluctance to fix the problem and the varying degrees of success users have had trying to sort the problem out.

RottenFox, I wish you luck but have a feeling you will end up banging your head against a brick wall.

I was going trade my xbox360 in for the Elite, so before i did i put my LIVE account details and games saves i wanted onto a memory card. However my 360 got the three red lights of DOOM last thursday (1 day before the realease of the Elite :mad:

So i went to Gamestation on Friday and bought an Elite outright (i'm gonna sell my other 360 once it comes back from Microsoft)

I put my Memory card into my Elite and transferred my LIVE account and game saves, then the annoying part - i then went through to XBOX LIVE Marketplace and re-downloaded all the Arcade Game's, Theme's and Gamer pictures, took ages but didn't cost me any extra Microsoft points and i don't have to worry about any transfer cables :D

I know this doesn't really have anything to do with the DRM problem as i'm alway's online anyway so offline arcade gaming isn't an isue for me

RottenFox, I wish you luck but have a feeling you will end up banging your head against a brick wall.
wish me luck if you want,but i now have my email,with my points on it,and my xbox account has been updated,directly,with the remaining points,which did not accumulate to a full card.

EDIT: i will say one thing,regarding this,and it was that i pointed out to the customer services rep,that my maps/game addons are now useless,as they were bought with the silver account,which had the points on,and they only work for that profile now..so i added them onto the points,like the crackdown downloads,GOW maps,etc.
and there is no way in hell i would buy them again,just to work on my profile.
its their fault with the stupid reluctance to fix the DRM fiasco,which,when people start to migrate data to the elite's,will become even more of a headache,as games/maps,etc all stop working.

wish me luck if you want,but i now have my email,with my points on it,and my xbox account has been updated,directly,with the remaining points,which did not accumulate to a full card.

I'm gobsmacked. I was rudely told by 3 different reps this wasn't possible, yet you managed to do it. Why treat one customer different to others? :mad:

when i first phoned up,i told them that my console was broken,and with the time they qouted me for repair,i thought,ill take it back to the store..
so when i phoned back up,i already had the no. they gave me regarding the conversation i had previously,which continued.
gave them the old serial,the new one,date of purchase,but i never said i was upgrading to an elite,only that i had one,and i needed my points,and a kit.
its not just that my games were not working,and wouldnt work,as they were on another profile,its also my addons -maps,crackdown stuff,etc,werent working also,which seemed to get the point across,and so i wanted the points for them,which they agreed,was what was going to happen.
and it did,3 days or so.

now the one thing that puzzles me,is in the states,a few of my friends on my list,got the cable,and software,and the games dont work offline..
but,and its a big one,why the need over here,for the old serial,and new one,BEFORE they send the kit out.
could it actually be,they will give an extended license out for users over here,realising that DRM is flawed.?

here is a snippet of the mail:
"Hi Scott,
Here are the MS Point codes we talked about on the phone. Each code is worth 2100 MS Points and you should insert them with your silver gamertag "RottenFox".
Here are the five 2100 MS Point codes:

xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx

Kind regards,

Werner
Xbox Support
www.xbox.com/support
0800 587 1102

Bloody Hell RottenFoxBreath I've been fighting for months to get my points back! :eek:

Well done on getting it sorted. Hoipefully I can get mine this week.

Perhaps we should start a specific thread about the MS Points DRM fiasco, as most people seem unaware of the problem.

my attitude was,its their fault,and problem,not ours.
i was nice,but forceful,and did tend to phone up,a few hours later,when they said 2 days.
the service is a bit better now,compared to me screaming down the phone,with expletives,at the last operative i got.
a real jobsworth,telling me things id heard before,redownload this,delete that.
every time i answered back with"done it,it doesnt work" they just kept on and on.
it even got to a point of me pretending to press buttons,with them on the phone,as i knew nothing would work.
keep at it though,my first time took weeks,second wasnt so bad,third was a chore,and this time,i just dazzled them with science,and explained the whole thing,and its flaws.
done,dusted in a few days.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom