• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Xbox 360 Elite - Amp suggestions with HDMI tv

jamiepryer

Standard Member
Hi,
im VERY new to all this, having never purchased an amp before! im sure i can find all the best advise here tho :)

I need an amp to run a pair of speakers i have.
Other items include
- 40" 1080p Samsung lcd
- Elite xbox 360
- PS3

we currently just have the sound coming out the tv speakers but want to make use of our proper speakers now.

Not sure if it helps, but the main use of the tele is for gaming and watching HD films.
Also use it a lot with windows media center, for playing music and streaming AVI from the PC.

Dont really want to spend too much money on the amp, under £500 if possible, however no idea what i would even be looking at. so if someone can give me a few options of entry, medium and high end, amps. that would be great!

sorry if ive missed anything!

thanks in advance, Jamie

davepuma

Distinguished Member
There have been numerous threads of late on this but as you have a PS3 and it is capable of decoding HD audio, you should base your buying around that IMHO if gaming is your thing.

At the bottom end of the budget (£230) you have the Yamaha 761, rising to the Sony 910, Denon 1908 and Onkyo 576. All those should be £300 or under. Above that you have the Marantz SR4002 at nearer £400. Those are all capable of LPCM audio via HDMI (using the PS3 to decode the HD audio). Budget HD audio decoding AV receivers inc. the Onkyo 605 (discounted now as an outgoing model), the Onkyo 606 (£400) and the Yamaha 763 (£500). There are new models due out in coming months from Sony (820/920 - +/- £300) and the Pioneer VSX 1018. HD audio decoding in the receiver isn't necessary for the PS3 but obviously is 'nice to have' should you choose to go with a standalone bluray player in the future.

Get round the shops and demo!

jamiepryer

Standard Member
sweet
thanks for the help mate
will head down to richersounds after work and have a look
am liking the "Onkyo 605", especially for the price and saving, so will have keen eye on that model.
Thanks again bud :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom