XBOX 360 does not fit the screen properly

I

inrage

Hi guys, I've had this problem since I got the xbox360 but I figured I'd look for a solution.

My TV is the Toshiba 34HF85C it is a widescreen and supports 1080i.

The xbox is connected with HDMI, I can't change the aspect ratio on the TV and there are no settings in the xbox to fix this. It's cutting off probably a few cm on each side. So in the bottom right instead of "LOADING.." I'll see "LOADIN"

I'd really appreciate any help you have. I'm thinking that since the TV is 37in (not the standard 36in it will always have this problem).

Thanks again.

A quick search suggests that it is an overscan issue and that it can be corrected from the sets service menu, no idea how to access it on that set though but you should be able to find it if you search

I've tried google searches and couldn't find anything. Could you give me a link to where you found this problem?

If there is a setting to fix the overscan, I wonder if it will mess up other things (DVD, regular TV...etc)

Thanks.

I've tried google searches and couldn't find anything. Could you give me a link to where you found this problem?

If there is a setting to fix the overscan, I wonder if it will mess up other things (DVD, regular TV...etc)

Thanks.

I only did a quick search for your tv and overscan and post 417 here says someone cured the overscan problem on the same set ( well the 30" model but there will be a similar adjustment possible on the 34" )

I haven't had a proper look so didn't see if anyone describes how to enter the service menu on your set but I am sure you will be able to find the info if you search long enough. Just be careful in the service menu as you can alter things you shouldn't

I have the same overscan problem on my sd plasma but it isn't correctable via the service menu on mine

Have you tried it via a component input instead, not all tv's have the same settings over all inputs

I notice from the service menu I can only change the settings for the different aspect ratios (like widescreen 1) but when things are connected via HDMI it doesn't seem you can adjust anything.

Sounds like your TV has really bad overscan if you are missing the end of text etc.

You could try using a VGA lead instead as this will cure any overscan issues. If you get one, buy the official Microsoft one as some of the 3rd party ones produce ghosting. On my set the VGA connection is very slightly inferior to a HDMI connection but if it sorts your problem out it's a small sacrifice.:thumbsup:

Hi guys, I've had this problem since I got the xbox360 but I figured I'd look for a solution.

My TV is the Toshiba 34HF85C it is a widescreen and supports 1080i.

The xbox is connected with HDMI, I can't change the aspect ratio on the TV and there are no settings in the xbox to fix this. It's cutting off probably a few cm on each side. So in the bottom right instead of "LOADING.." I'll see "LOADIN"

I'd really appreciate any help you have. I'm thinking that since the TV is 37in (not the standard 36in it will always have this problem).

Thanks again.
If the model number is corect then your TV is 34" and not 37" but either way that wont make a difference. I see your TV is actually a CRT and some info i found suggests that its native res is 1280 x 800 but i'm really not sure exactly how a HD CRT works so that could be wrong. If it does have a native res of 1280 x 800 then i would suggest setting your xbox to 720p and see how that looks

Ya my mistake it's 34, not 37.

I tried the xbox at 720p but no luck. Tomorrow maybe I'll try component instead of HDMI and see if I can adjust the picture

notice from the service menu I can only change the settings for the different aspect ratios (like widescreen 1) but when things are connected via HDMI it doesn't seem you can adjust anything.

Are you sure you are looking at the service menu and not just one of the televisions normal adjustment menues?

Most if not all tv's have a service menu that requires a set combination of button/key presses to enter which isn't meant for the general consumer but is where a lot of this kind of adjustment is possible

I have the same problem on my Toshiba 32WLT66 connected through HDMI. It seems to cut the picture off when its on media center extender.

Here's some info that should help. Service menu codes and whatnot.

Originally Posted by fugiot
Since I know I wanted these when I first got my set, I'm going to share my ISF settings with all you 26HF(84/85/14/15/66) owners. We all know that every CRT is different, but maybe these will work or at least head you in the right direction. Also, these are optimized for HD sources.

First off, set the screen mode to "Full" and then enter the Service Menu. Turn Volume to "0", hold the 'volume down' button on the front of the set and then hold '9' on the remote until the service menu appears. Make sure to write down all of your current settings. I don't want to be to blame if my settings don't work for you. Change the settings to the following values and then press 'menu' on the remote to return.

Items #2-#23 are Geometry settings and a different for each set. Only use these for experimentation as I can guarantee you they are not the correct settings for your particular set.

2. H. POSI - 84
3. V. POSI - 1
4. H. SIZE - 20
5. V. SIZE - 40
6. V. LIN - 27
7. V-EHT - 4
8. H-EHT - 2
9. V-BLK P - 31
10. V-BLK S - 0
11. V. CENT - 31
12. V. LIMIT - 0
13. V. CORR - 13
14. V.S. CORR - 40
15. EW PARA - 10
16. TRAPEZIUM - 45
17. COR. TOP - 16
18. COR. BTM - 15
19. S. CORR - 17
20. CORNER - 16
21. C. PARA - 6
22. C. SAW - 6
23. V. SYMM - 128

The following are the picture settings and are roughly equal across all sets. They may need slight adjustments, but it will be pretty darned close to perfect.

24. R. BIAS - 69
25. G. BIAS - 63
26. B. BIAS - 93
27. R/G. DRV - 77
28. B/R. DRV - 60
Items #29 through #38 are for the 'cool' and 'warm' color temp settings. I didn't include them because they are unused.
39. R-Y GAIN - 1
40. R-Y PAHSE - 0
41. G-Y GAIN - 2
42. G-Y PAHSE - 1
43. BRI. CENT - 227
44. BRI. MAX - 232
45. BRI. MIN - 222
46. CONT. CENT - 63
47. CONT. MAX - 71
48. CONT. MIN - 55
49. COL. CENT - 42
50. COL. MAX - 43
51. COL. MIN - 37
52. SUB CONT - 0
53. TINT - 66
54. SHARP CENT - 63
55. SHARP MAX - 95
56. SHARP MIN - 31
57. TILT CENT - 138

Exit the Service Menu by pressing the "menu" button, press the tv/video button and repeat all settings on all 7 inputs.

Then, exit service menu, change to "Theater Wide 3" screen setting, enter service menu again and change V. SIZE to 50. This is ideal for widescreen 4:3 viewing from SD sources. Make sure "TheaterWide 1" is set exactly the same as "Full". "TheaterWide 2" is unused.

Once you have all the service menu set up, set your main menu settings like this.

S-video(or composite) connection:::
Brightness - 0
Contrast - 25(set to '50' for a brighter picture)
Color - 0
Tint - 0
Sharpness - 25
Cable Clear - Off
Color Temp - Medium
SVM - Off

Colorstream Component:::
Brightness - 25
Contrast - 25 for HD(50 for a brighter SD picture, 0 for night HD)
Color - 25
Tint - 0
Sharpness - 25 (set to 50 for slightly enhanced sharpness)
Cable Clear - Off
Color Temp - Medium
SVM - Off

HDMI:::
Brightness - 50
Contrast - 25 for HD(set to 50 for a brighter SD picture, set to 0 for night HD)
Color - 50
Tint - 0
Sharpness - 25(set to 50 for slightly enhanced sharpness)
Cable Clear - Off
Color Temp - Medium
SVM - Off

Yes, did you notice? All the SM settings are to make the main menu settings easy to remember by leaving most of them at default(25).

For example, Bright. Max in the SM corresponds to 'Brightness@50' in the User menu
Bright.Cent in SM = 'Brightness@25' in UM
Bright.Min in SM = 'Brightness@0' in UM.

Enjoy! Hopefully they work for you like they do for me. Looks as good as a Sony now....a non-ISF'd Sony.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom