Xbox 360 could be the best media extender ever but....

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by SportiveUK, Dec 28, 2006.

1. SportiveUK

SportiveUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Right, I know there have been discussions on this before and I have read the majority of them but as yet I have not come up with what I would call a simple solution to what I want to do! And as it's frustrating me I wondered if people that do use the 360 as a media extender could maybe put my mind at ease (or tell me to stop being silly and go play some games!)

Quite simply I want a NAS device holding all my music, photos, video etc to be able to stream stuff directly to the 360, without having to turn on my PC. :eek:

It seems daft buying another media extender to do this when the 360 is already in place, is connected to all my AV gear and would do the job superbly, if it was allowed to do it. I realise that MS want everyone to buy Vista and no doubt many PC users will but given the move to seemless integration of technology into the home etc it appears that barriers keep being put in the way of things that would work really well!

There must be a clever boffin out there that can design something that will fool the 360 into thinking it was allowed to talk to other devices? Am I really asking too much or am I completely missing the point somewhere?

At is stands (IMHO) the 360 isn't the greatest media extender in the world, it's just a tribute.....

2. Br0ken

Br0ken

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,314
    I've no idea what a NAS device is but if you got a link to the one you have might be able to reply with something more useful.

3. fraggenstein

fraggenstein

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I feel your pain - I want this too!

4. john316

john316

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Network Attached Storage device - typically some sort of external hard drive with a network port on it. Some of them have mini OSs built into them so act like a network server but without the typical overheads.

5. Br0ken

Br0ken

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,314
    Ahh i see thanks, will take a look at some in detail or if some one wants to post their particular model?

6. ghost5

ghost5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    I would also like this feature.

I haven't used the 360 as a media extender yet as I have vista beta 2 installed on my laptop (won't work) and I'm not upgrading to RC1 as the final version is out in around 30 days.

Anyway, as I use a laptop with only a 60GB drive I found it a right pain swapping USB drives around when I got rid of my PC (which had 3 HDD in it), so I bought a NAS with a 500Gb sata drive so I can access my files all the time.

I would firstly like to know could I access these files through the 360 to my laptop then to the NAS, and then secondly (and the better option) access these files straight from my 360 to the NAS (without my laptop being on).

I can't see it letting me do that though as the NAS uses it's own file system, and the only external files it recognises are FAT32.

7. ghost5

ghost5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    Mine is a synology disk station, and I think the model is DS 101-g

Thanks

8. Br0ken

Br0ken

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,314
  9. lansalot

lansalot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    If you check the forums on their website, you'll see that happy xbox360/twonkymedia users are few and far between.

I'm using both WMP11 and TVersity. Though for movie playback, I'm still using my old xbox with XBMC which is far less stressful on the server. May be an other option - that would stream files off your NAS far easier than the 360 is ever likely to (IMHO).

10. Br0ken

Br0ken

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,314
    I did check out the forums, there's always going to be people who can't do something and will try to get help on a forum no matter what the medium is. But the general support from the Twonky dev's is quite good. Several topics on the forum are in the nature of "it worked perfectly until MS did an update...".

I don't think you read the thread fully, these guys want to stream directly between NAS device and the Xbox360 so they don't have to turn on a PC, which I think is a very sensible want. And Twonky (seems) to allow that functionality, I don't have a NAS device so can't try it out, might purchase a cheap one for fun to see how well it works.

Agree with you though that TVersity is a pretty easy way stream video and other media to your Xbox360 but, you've gotta leave your PC on to do it!

11. ghost5

ghost5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
  12. ghost5

ghost5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    cant try this yet as I need to access my NAS interface screen and it wont run on my copy of vista :(

Ive added twonky to my favourites and am sure to try it when I get the final vista and get everything working properly again :(

13. Kronenbourg

Kronenbourg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    If I could stream all the DivX and MP3's from my terastation onto my 360 it would be the greatest bit of kit ever....for now though that honour is held by my chipped XBMC running Xbox.

Have converted about 75% of my DVD's (around 300 of them) to DivX now - dont feel like converting them to wmv and installing vista just to watch them via the 360.

14. PAH

PAH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Those of you thinking or are using your 360 as a media extender, have you somehow managed to quiten the damn thing? I was tempted to use it along with the new HD DVD player as a relatively cheap way of getting HD for movies but the noise is way too offputting to be sat in the living room.

The noise alone kills it as anything like a serious contender.

15. Br0ken

Br0ken

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,314
    One of the reasons I went back to XP, was getting annoyed with hackin at programs to make them work with Vista Beta's.

Don't blame you mate thats a lot of movies to convert! But Tversity transcodes on-the-fly so you can still stream your divx movies to your 360, but to be honest if you've already got xbmc all setup i'd stick with that too.

Yup, turn the tv up :thumbsup:

16. Br0ken

Br0ken

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,314
    Actually I was just thinking, wouldn't the interface for your NAS device be webbased? i.e through a browser? Can't see why vista would moan about that?

17. SportiveUK

SportiveUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I am glad someone agrees with me on that!

The only other way I could think of doing things which might be semi-workable is to buy a small low-spec laptop with MCE installed which I could leave on but would power down after say 30 mins of inactivity... it could also come to life with any network activity meaning I could switch on the Xbox and just start watching/listening to things. I assume that streaming stuff from a NAS via the laptop (both wired to router) would not cause any data transfer issues. It still seems a bit over the top so I'll investigate the Twonky thing a bit further...

18. ghost5

ghost5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    If I remember right (havent tried in ages to get it to work) I can only do a limited amount of things via the web.

All admin things like setting up passwords, mapping drives etc has to be done through the software.

thanks though

19. gregh

gregh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I looked into this, I didn't think Twonky would stream video, it would stream pictures and music.

regards,

Greg

20. smokedog

smokedog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    You need a reasonable spec PC, as it would need to transcode Divx or other formats the 360 can't read. Also you wouldn't able to play HD material (ts files) with a low spec PC.