Xbox 360 Controllers to work with PC

J

JayList

http://news.zdnet.com/Xbox+360+cont...0_22-5902045.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=zdnn
Microsoft on Wednesday released a new controller for its upcoming Xbox 360 device which also works with PCs.

The Xbox 360 Controller for Windows will work with the upcoming Xbox 360 console, as well as with computers that have the Windows XP operating system.

"Gamers can simply unplug their controller from their Xbox 360 system and plug it into their Windows XP-based PC," Chris Donahue, director of Windows gaming at Microsoft, said in a statement. "This is a great breakthrough for the gaming industry as we make it easier for developers to create multiplatform titles."

The controller features a new design meant to improve ergonomics. It also offers "force feedback vibration support" and a button layout.

The controller sold on its own will include a driver for XP-based computers. The controller that will be sold with the Xbox 360 console will also work on PCs after people download the driver from Microsoft. The controller has a 9-foot breakaway cable that plugs into a USB port.

The device is available in North America for $39 and will be released soon in Europe and Asia, the company said.

Great News.

Read about this a month or so ago but does this mean the wireless controller comes with a USB cable? as I assumed you could only use a wired 360 controller with your computer.

Perhaps you'd have to use the play & charge kits they're selling for the wireless controllers ?

This is good news. :D

This is a damn good move from MS and one I am shocked others haven't done before.

The PS pad became almost a gaming standard for many people, if MS can make their controller the "gaming standard" it helps them sell the XBox360s, as well as a lot of over-priced controllers.

shaithis said:
This is a damn good move from MS and one I am shocked others haven't done before.

The PS pad became almost a gaming standard for many people, if MS can make their controller the "gaming standard" it helps them sell the XBox360s, as well as a lot of over-priced controllers.

actually the present xbox controller is compatible with pcs, if you changed the connector on the end for a normal usb one it was automatically detected by windows and fully useable...

I'm getting a wired controller for my second pad (only £18 on Play), its great to know that I can use it for some PC emulator action out of it aswell.

Another nice move by Microsoft, having a pad I'm fimilliar with will make me far more likely to play on my PC.
Also how about the fact that you can also link your PSP to the 360, I would imagine that raised afew eyebrowes at sony when they heard about it :)

What about mouse support

Will the xbox360 have a pc mouse type thing for aiming?

If not how do you aim guns etc? when playing games?

z5461313 said:
What about mouse support

Will the xbox360 have a pc mouse type thing for aiming?

If not how do you aim guns etc? when playing games?

Left Joystick=WASD
Right Joystick=Mouse

I'm not a fan of the mouse and keyboard set-up so no doubt when I buy a new computer in a few years from now (that is more powerful then a 360), I'll be able to use my preferred method of control. For games like Prince of Persia, its control pad or nothing, a lot of genres don't suit mouse and keyboard but are perfect for the control pad.

The controller features a new design meant to improve ergonomics. It also offers "force feedback vibration support" and a button layout.
force feedback? Does this mean the 360 will be compatible with force feedback wheels ?

Lorenzini said:
The 360 wireless controllers aren't Bluetooth, that's the PS3 you're thinking of.

I thought they both were. What do 360's use then?

Will that mean my phone/router may interfere with the controllers? Or do I have to set up a frequency or something?

Michaelknell said:
Won't it be fairly easy to get some sort of bluetooth reciever installed in your pc?

Bit pointless as the 360 controllers don't use bluetooth but RF technology like the existing console wireless pads. Apparently the PS3 will use bluetooth for it's wireless controllers though.

Moogle said:
Bit pointless as the 360 controllers don't use bluetooth but RF technology like the existing console wireless pads. Apparently the PS3 will use bluetooth for it's wireless controllers though.

As already stated!!!

Lorenzini said:
I've got a wireless phone, router and a Wavebird controller for the GC and I've never had any noticeable interference. They will have thought of this.

I use wireless controllers for my PS2, Xbox and Gamecube as well as a wireless router, gaming adapter and cordless phone and don't get any interference either.

i've just read this at xbox-scene.com

After the rumor on joystiq about interferences between the Xbox 360 (custom wireless 2.4Ghz interface?) and other devices in the Wal-Mart store we received 2 more reports:
* From Skyypunk on forums: "My local walmart (Ypsilanti, MI) also had their 360 shut off. They said that when it was on, it interfered with their wireless scanners"
* From darksar by e-mail: "I work at a walmart and we had to turn it off because it was interfering with the hand scanners working properly, couldn't connect to the system and when they did connect they had problems printing to the wireless printers we use."

For now all this stays a rumor ... as soon as we get more details or some kinda official/confirmed info about this we'll let you know.

It's probably that the Walmart staff in question haven't yet thought about changing the wifi channel of their 360s, but I'm sure MS will get round to telling them to soon.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom