Xbox 360 connectivity options to Phillips 23" LCD

stu1wyatt

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm currently trying to work out the best way to get connectivity to a Phillips 23" LCD.

It has a Scart socket and DVI connector, obvioulsy we don't want to use SCART if we can avoid due to quality issues.

Is there a way I can get the 360 to work with a DVI connector, will a standard VGA to DVI connector allow this if we were to purchase the Xbox 360 VGA cable.

Also a PC will be run aswell through the DVI so is it okay to use a DVI switcher, I'm assumming this sown't cause any issues.

Cheers for your help.

A standard vga-dvi connector should work, a friend of mine has a 19" nobrand tv that only has a dvi connector and he uses a component-dvi cable which works fine. Obviously your need a separate cable for sound

Big question is does the DVI input support analogue? because if its digital only then an adapter wont work.

Good question, not sure about that as I'm trying to help a friend out.

Is the Tv badged as being 'HD Ready'? if so then the DVI socket will accept an analogue signal and id imagine it came with the same cable that my friends unbranded tv came with, a component to dvi cable

Yep it's branded as HD ready, didn't know you could get a Component to DVi cable.

If so can someone point me in the direction so I can point my friend in the right direction on this.

Cheers for your help guys

Something like this Adaptor should do the trick. I rang my friend and it turns out i had it a little bit wrong, he has a component to vga cable which is then plugged into a vga-dvi adaptor! the back of his Tv must look like a nightmare!

yep that'll work, i've got the 26" version and the vga - dvi adapter works a treat.

Thanks POOON - I'm the guy Stu1wyatt was helping - ordered the cable today, so will let you know how I get on

cheers :)

No worries

back to the drawing board as cable only allows viusal feed. on the philips TV the sound only comes in when selecting 'PC' through the the TV menu - not ideal, so now daughter has 23" LCD HD TV in bedroom - she's happy, I'm not... but that's my own fault for not questioning my techy friend with attention defecit disorder correctly. :)
if I go back to the start and ask the correct question, you guys will be able to help me no doubt as I am the first to admit that I am of very limited technical knowledge.

I have an office, in that office I want to run a PC and an xbox 360 through one screen without the need to remove connectors etc as my wife will use the room to do study related stuff on aforementioned PC and I will use room to play on Xbox360.
Want best picture possible, so assume monitor with 2 VGA ports ( and buy component/VGA cable for xbox) or component & vga port on monitor.

ideally want 21-23" screen. PC is still in box (new Dell). not adversed to LCD TV , but after above issues appreciate the monitor is probably vbest way to go. right back at start I did ask techy friend if Apple monitor would accept 360 and he said no, so thats why I went down the PC/TV route as I assumed rightly/wrongly that no monitor would work (see earlier statement about me being technophobe!

please, please help

Whats the EXACT model of the 23" philips that you were going to use so i can look up the manual for it as you should be able to get sound and picture together from the 360 on that Tv

I'll do my best to make it work! but you might need to buy more stuff :)

thanks Pooon,
its a 23PF4321/01 - more stuff isn't a problem - mind you prising it out of my daughters room now might be.

is there a monitor that will accept PC and 360 (with VGA cable)? might be easier and quicker and cause less arguments to go that route - either that or I buy a new TV for the lounge and hope I can play on the 360 once in a blue moon - not ideal.
I'm sure there are others out there who are running a PC and 360 off one screen?
reason I want to do this is I want to be able to join the 360 live community whilst sitting at a comfy desk (pretending to work)

thanks in advance

You can use one of these -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/belkin-omnivi...4QQihZ004QQcategoryZ45341QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It is a KVM box and is the exact one I use so that I can switch between my Laptop and 360. I have a component input but prefer to use this because I benefit from the DVD upscaling.

I even use it to output the sound for both through my stereo.

The only issue with this particular KVM is that there is a constant flashing led showing which connection you are using. If that annoys you go for a similar high quality KVM. I had a cheap one from ebay and the quality was awful. Belkin is a decent brand.

Let me know if I can help any further.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom