Xbox 360 - Component to HDMI Converter - IS it worth it?

S

Samsung1080i

I have an Xbox 360 that I'm currently running to my Samsung 42" Plasma using the supplied leads set to 'HDTV'.

The picture is pretty good and the sound is great (running the digital optical lead) but I have been reading up that running the feed to the plasma as HDMI would produce a better overall picture. IS this true??

I have looked into connecting via HDMI and I have two ways to go, I either buy the Xbox 360 Elite (£250) or I have found a Component/Compisite to HDMI converter for (£50).

Obviously I'm swinging more towards the converter but I'm worried that it might not be as good as the more direct HDMI to HDMI that you would get from the Elite.

Would anyone be able to tell me if this would improve the picture quality due to it being a digital feed?

And also if the converter is a worth while investment?

Many Thanks

I wouldn't bother with the HDMI converter as it'll only be converting the image you already have, it can't improve it.

All the current new xbox 360's have hdmi out so any of those would do to get a better image. The hdmi also allows 1080p which you can't get with your current component siginal. If your TV can only handle 1080i as your name suggests then there would be very minimal improvement and your probably best staying with what you have at the moment.

Hi,

Thanks for that, I had a feeling that might be the case.

My main reason for wanting to change the feed from the Xbox to the Plasma is that when watching HD DVDS through the Xbox 360 HD DVD drive I'm getting a very faint static horizontal line that runs across the screen and its only really noticable when the screen is producing a grey or dusk image, I have trialed a few thing and have worked out that it is either the actual Xbox 360 or the component connection.

I thought by converting it to a digital HDMI feed it might solve the problem??

I have a Philips Home Cinema running HDMI and the picture is fine on that, and also sky through a scart, thats fine too.

Also you are correct my Plasma only goes upto 1080i, could this be a problem when using the 360?

I'm not quite upto speed on all this yet so please excuse my termenology.

I agree that it is probably best to leave it as is but as you could imagine this line bugs me, espcially when your watching a HD DVD, so this is my reason for looking for a solution.

Cheers

Not to hijack the thread but my tv shows too much green on the component channel and while i can get full 1080p would i loose any of the clarity going through the converter?

A cheaper option would be to see which resolutions your screen accepts into it's vga port (assuming it has one)- its only around 15-20 squid for the official vga cable and this would provide you with a progressive signal including 1080p.

Bear in mind most 360 games aren't running anywhere near 1080p so unless your planning on watching a lot of hd-dvd movies via the add-on drive I don't think that any change you make to your existing cabling would make any great shakes in pq:)

Remember any real differences that you see between Component, VGA and HDMI will be down to how your display processes the relevant signal. :lesson:

Ah i do have the vga cable but when i got my new pc i thought i'd use my massive tv as the monitor ha.

A good quality component or VGA cable will give you every bit as good a picture as hdmi. Both should introduce no visible loss if you use a good cable. Converting to hdmi from component cant improve on what it gets, it can only introduce another oportunity for quality loss. Dont waste your money on one of those convertors. Personally I would buy a good quality component or VGA cable, preferably a monster as they are far and away the best cables for the 360.

If you really insist on using hdmi then buy a 360 Arcade console (£149 at gamestation) and swap your hard drive etc over to it then stick your current console on ebay as a core. You will get a big part of your outlay back and will have the hdmi conection you want. You'll also get a new console free of RROD issues and 5 free arcade games.

The hdmi also allows 1080p which you can't get with your current component siginal.
Component can be used for 1080p as long as the TV can handle 1080p over component :)

Well yeh that's the thing i am running component all fine it's just it's a known problem that the component channel on my tv displays in a weird green shade.

I don't really wanna go through the hassle of getting a new 360 though so i guess aslong as i get a good converter it'll be all good.

I don't intend to be ignoring any advice just given!

This appears to be the answer i'm looking for..

4744.gif

http://store.gameshark.com/viewItem.asp?idProduct=3102&idCategory=96

I've seen conversion boxes going for like $400-500 and that's only $90 so £45 which is pretty damn good cos it's so simple.

It doesn't appear to be out over here yet for a while but can't see why it wouldn't work with a UK machine so i'll get one and let everyone know how it goes.

A good quality component or VGA cable will give you every bit as good a picture as hdmi. Both should introduce no visible loss if you use a good cable. Converting to hdmi from component cant improve on what it gets, it can only introduce another oportunity for quality loss. Dont waste your money on one of those convertors. Personally I would buy a good quality component or VGA cable, preferably a monster as they are far and away the best cables for the 360.

If you really insist on using hdmi then buy a 360 Arcade console (£149 at gamestation) and swap your hard drive etc over to it then stick your current console on ebay as a core. You will get a big part of your outlay back and will have the hdmi conection you want. You'll also get a new console free of RROD issues and 5 free arcade games.

I quite like the sound of that, I am wondering if the faint line might be something to do with the Xbox itself, therefore to buy a new one could solve the problems, if not nothing lost, if i can sell the old one on ebay.

Are there any other benefits or improvements with the new Elite/Arcade Xbox 360?

Also, silly question but is VGA the 'PC' socket on the back of my Plasma??? (know nothing about VGA).

If ya don't know the answer goooooogle it :D

http://images.google.co.uk/images?gbv=2&svnum=10&hl=en&q=VGA+Cable

Chris :hiya:

EDIT: Sorry to hijack thread buttt: (Hope you dont mind :D)

I've heard that if you put your Xbox into a Montior you can get HDTV effects, much better than a standard CRT T.V. I would like to try this but is it worth the money? My monitor is CRT and has nothing to do, but its old. (Using a VGA cable, plus male to male connector) Thanks :D

Price isn't everything ya know. But $400 to $500 seems abit god damn steep!

Maybe so, although the expensive boxes appear to need the plugging in of the component cable into the box then you can select what output signal you want and all that, where as this one simply plugs into the 360 itself and uses the direct signal that way so less chance of signal quality loss and all that.

Maybe.

Be aware though that the early non HDMI port 360's actually produce their signal in analog form. So all you are doing is converting to a different connector not actually increasing the quality.
I have jsut been looking into this myself as I want to do PIP on my telly and I need one of my inputs to be HDMI.

To be honest the component HDTV output is a perfectly good output.

To get true HDMI output you are best off trading in your xbox and getting an Elite (which has the new fixed motherboard and uses the new smaller transistor manufacturing process that also reduces heat, oh and the quieter DVD drive)

Does this new technology (motherboard etc..) apply to the Xbox 360 Arcade also??

The HDMI port does, not so sure about the rest, i'd of though so though.

Chirs :hiya:

Cheers...

So would I pretty much be right in saying that the digital feed that will come from the HDMI direct from the Xbox will be better than the current standard analog component leads I'm running with my early Xbox?

Yes, in some cases alot better.

Cheers Chris.

I pretty sure I'm going to have to make the switch for the new Xbox 360 after everything taken into consideration. lol:)

I have one more quick question that you might be able to help me with.

Do you think the switch to HDMI will sort out this faint line that I'm getting (mentioned earlier in thread) from the current component setup??

Thanks lee

Just make sure that when you get your new xbox 360 that it includes a 175W power supply, this will be listed on a white label on the box. This means that it has the lastest chipset. All the xbox's are now the same boards as far as I'm aware. This means that they should run cooler and queiter.

Im also considering just swapping my xbox, buying a pro or arcade or whatever then doing a little gypsie swap and taking it back *Whistles*

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom