Xbox 360 can't see my PC

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by wallofillusion, Mar 4, 2013.

1. wallofillusion

wallofillusion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all

About 18 months ago, overnight, my Xbox decided it wasn't going to stream from my PC any more. I spent a while trying to fix it, but in the end I decided to just connect my external hard drive directly to my Xbox. Minor inconvenience, but oh well.

I always assumed it was a problem with my PC, so when I built a new PC last week, I was eager to give the streaming another go.

I have spent the entire day today trying to get this to work, with no luck whatsoever. I can see my Xbox fine from Windows Media Player, and configure the streaming access.

I have Windows 7 Ultimate x64

I've obviously enabled media sharing already.
    I've attempted the DRM fix.
    I've tried using TVersity.
    I've messed around with different service combinations, as suggested by various forum posts around the internet.
    I've tried turning off uPnP and forwarding ports
    I've tried manually entering the network details on my XBOX

When I run a test on my Xbox to try and find my PC, nothing shows - I simply get the dreaded "PC Not listed".

The only thing that brings mild success is restarting the Windows Media Player Network Service. If I do this while the network test is running on the Xbox, my PC will show up! But selecting it yields no real results, and I simply get told that there was a problem connecting to the PC.

It's gotten to the point where I feel that I've exhausted the internet, which, as someone who considers himself an above average user (don't we all?), is a pretty soul destroying admission. I've never felt so helpless in trying to solve a computer issue.

If you need any specifics, let me know - oh, and I thought I'd mention in case it's relevant, I'm using a BT Home Hub 2.

In conclusion: HELP!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2013
  2. Loada

Loada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    I know its really obvious but you haven't mentioned it - have you turned the built-in Windows Firewall OFF to test (via Control Panel)? Windows does insist on turning it on, particularly after a Windows Update and it can silently block stuff unless you specifically open the correct ports - you can do this if you confirm it's the culprit.

3. wallofillusion

wallofillusion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your response.

I should have mentioned this in the original post - I tried to add exceptions to the firewall, and when that failed, turned it off completely. It had no effect, unfortunately.

4. Anotherlimey

Anotherlimey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +930
    Iv'e found Serviio works great for streaming all formats from my laptop to Xbox, give it a go :smashin:

Serviio media server

Hope it works for you.

5. mattharesign

mattharesign
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    try this: Get Plex! it is awesome. truly awesome.

6. bearman3784

bearman3784

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,649
    Removed the 'reward' info, this is a helpful forum and a monetary reward isn't needed :smashin: