Xbox 360 blurry and bad colour through component on hannspree 32" lcd

Mitchsnake

Standard Member
Reaction score
I just got the hannspree 32" lcd tv from ebuyer, It is great using the hdmi ports for my pc and freeview if fine.

I am having a problem with the xbox 360 connected to it using the Red green and blue component cable. Cable is switched to hdtv but the picture is slightly blurry, not alot but enough to notice a difference.

The picture on my friends lg tv is crisp and crystal clear, mine however is not, it looks like it's standard def instead of hd. But the 480 setting does look even worse. I have tried 720p, 1080i and 1080p so far and still it is blurry, the colours are also too colourful and bright, changing the tv settings doesn't make it a right lot better.

I have ruled out the following;

.Not the cable, (It is a microsoft cable, also tried my friends)
.Not the console (tried friends console and is the same)
.Not the tv (friend has same tv, console looks same on his)
.Settings are correct. cable switched to hdtv and console in 720p,1080i or 1080p
.VGA cable looks fine, no blur, it is crisp and clear like HD should be. But hannspree tv's stutter when using vga so can't stick with that

I am thinking of returning this to ebuyer as faulty, even though my friends is exactly the same. I've come to the conclusion that it's just hannspree tv's that have this problem that they can't display properly through component.

Is anyone else having this problem with these tv's. The dashboard doesn't look too bad but is still noticable that it is blurred. When playing a game it looks quite bad, not as bad as SD but no where near HD quality.

I also plugged friends ps3 into the tv, played burnout demo and looked excellent, switched to 360, burnout was playin on tht at same time, looked blurry and colours weren't as good.

I have run out of ideas, so i'm thinking of returning it. Can anyone suggest anything else i could try. I have read hundreds of comments saying that 360 is excellent through component, it can't be a coincidence that mine and my freinds are faulty.

I heard that with these particular models, it's a bit hit n' miss as to whether you get a decent set or one with problems. If all the cables and settings are fine, I'd either return it or contact their technical support. Think I read somewhere that they have new firmware for it?

that is strange i get a great pic through component on mine! what model did you get?

Do you see more of the picture when using VGA compared to component?

My guess is that the edges of the image are being cut off via component due to overscan, which is something that the majority of televisions do. This means that the image has to be scaled more which is why it looks softer.

VGA typically bypasses this, and any other processing the set might be doing (such as sharpness "enhancements") which is why it usually looks better on most HDTVs.

So, it's probably normal, and something you would see the majority of HDTVs. The exception is a newer 1080p display, as they often let you disable overscan with 720p / 1080i/p signals now.

i have the JT01-32E2 mdoel, i didn't expect the picture to be amazing on this tv but it should be at least clear. I have seen some pics of the 360 on this tv andit looks crystal clear through component, along with 200+ reviews on ebuyer that all say it is excellent with the 360.

Through vga i can't see any more picture, it looks the same size apart from it is alot clearer. through component edges look jagged and poles on fences etc you can see lines moving on them when you move past them, vga they are round and crisp.

Ringing ebuyer tomorrow now, was closed today, if they don't take it back i'll just keep complaining till they do, otherwise i'll have to try and sell it, which shouldn't be a problem as it isn't actually faulty. unless both mine and friends is faulty so thats why it's the same on both tv's.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom