Xbox 360 "Backawards Compatible"

Couldn't care less about it being backwards compatible. You won't get £20 selling an xbox in a years time anyway, so I'll just hang onto mine if i deem there are any games worth keeping.

Given what they quote, it doesn't at all say it's going to be backwards compatible with Xbox games. All it says is that if developers make versions of a game for both the original Xbox and new Xbox, their Xbox Live features must be compatible between the two versions.

It will be pretty neat if it is backwards compatible, but no matter how big a selling point it would be, it's dependent on whether they're able to get the new Xbox to properly emulate the XGPU.

I read only the HDD version would be backwards compatible, the standard non hdd pack would/will not. Like another incentive to get the more expensive hdd 360 hardware pack. Still, 2 weeks Fri and we'll probably know for sure.

For me being backwards compatible is very important. I have a large xbox collection that I still haven't played. Given the fact that I'll most likely get a Xbox 360 on launch I don't wait to have to keep changing consoles - especially given decent launch titles on the 360 are likely to be scarce!

Backwards compatability did PS2 sales no harm at all. It's not a fundamental need, but helps because:

- as with all new consoles, Xbox 360 will have a small catalogue of games for the first 6 months or so
- it will increase 360 sales to current Xbox owners with large catalogues of games that they still haven't finished (that'd be me and Tejstar then!)
- you can sell your old Xbox without worrying about it.

It makes sense that MS do it, though it may only be technically possible on the HDD version, due to the hard drive caching that Xbox does.

Having the ability to buy XBOX games for your 360 is like having a budget range in some ways. If shops were to sell this angle it could be very appealing to parents looking for xmas presents. However, I have read that DS game sales have been hurt because some DS owners have been able to play GBA games on it meaning there isn't a rush to buy DS games they wouldn't normally buy due to a shortage of titles. I read onew report that suggested 30% od DS owners in USA haven't bought 1 game. Probablt more than that as some gamers would have bought 2 or more games. I would never have bought Spiderman 2 normally, but did for PSP mainly because I wanted another game and lowered my standards. Not liking USA sports games means that rules out roughly 10 of the 24 launch games straight away so my options were limited.

"Standard" 360 owners wont be able to play Xbox games due to two reasons, 1) original Xbox games use its hard disc for contents, and patches to get the games working on Xbox live, and 2) because the new console will require codecs that are loaded onto the HD for the new 360 ATI GPU chip to run the graphics that the original Xbox games used with its Nvidia chip.

How many people will get the cheaper version I wonder ? Depends what the price difference is I suppose. In my opinion the Hd is one of the best features of the xbox and essential for Xbox 360.

My concerns around the 360 revolve around the HD. 40gb (which was pictured) is both not enough in terms of capacity for what I'll be using the console for (media center) and also, 40gb drives are not made anymore are they?

Id much rather them offer a range of HDs from 100gb upwards.

i'll base my choice purely on price. i didnt use the ps2 backwards compat even though when i first heard of it i thought it was a great idea. but im not paying an extra say ton for a HDD to use xbox one games and use the webtv thing. i remember there was rumours of three different versions

I reckon that they should offer you a range different hdd sizes to suit your needs. 40GB is probably sufficient for most, but it would be nice to have larger units for those that want to pay for them.

Remember original XB came with a few GB HD. Mine currently has a 120GB in....I know people who have 300 GB drives in their xbox.

It will happen with XB 360 as well unless the drive is propritary (Which there is a very good chance this time)

harrisuk said:
It will happen with XB 360 as well unless the drive is propritary (Which there is a very good chance this time)

Rats! I hope not.

Well considering MS have been busy bunnies over the last three years get ready for serious restrictions to the Modding options this time round.

They have been hiring experienced "hackers" for a few years now to close as many holes in the new system as possible. They no it’s impossible to stop people doing it they are just going to make it extremely difficult (Like Nintendo did so well with the Gamecube)

Expect:

HD to be locked and non compatible with PC architecture. No standard cables / connectivity. Sealed modular components to limit ingress by non MS technology. Don’t expect to happen to the 360 what has happened to Xbox that’s for sure.

Limited media compatibility from the DVD-ROM drive. We all know is possible to stop DVD drives playing certain types of media. I fully expect the drive in the New console to not read any type of DVD / CDR. I mean non at all.

But all this is common knowledge. People will still crack the system eventually, you just wont see the large scale "Computer Fair" and hobbiest market that has supported the xbox. It will be time and cost prohibitive this time around.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom