xbox 360 approved wireless routers

L

lewisrodger

my xbox complains that it needs me to use the a frequency because it interferes with my wireless controllers. it also needs to be really cheap!

GET A linksys wrt55ag Dual Band

superb for 360 and supports 802.11a (more bandwidth) as does the xbox360 wireless adapter.

why buy a 802.11a wireless adapter for £59 and use 802.11g??

obviously the high bandwidth is really usefull for streaming movies etc over wifi but hey..

Loads availible on the popular auction site ;)

There's no point in paying extra for 802.11a unless there really are no channels in 802.11b/g which will work for you.
802.11a is still 54Mbps like 802.11g, just at a higher frequency, meaning it's wavelength is smaller and therefore it's range is smaller also.

technically you are sort of correct but in reality 54g has a maximum thruput of about 24mbps whereas 54A is 54mbps.

its true you do actually sacrifice a small amount of wireless range but 802.11a is reconised in both home and corporate use for maximum bandwidth.

you look at the likes of cisco, they are heavily promoting 802.11a for wifi in the office, but the home market isnt really prepared to spend huge bucks on routers,AP's for greater transfer speeds.

if you use media center (as i do) you will really struggle streaming an HD movie (WMVHD) over 802.11g as 802.11a is recommended.

read the info about streaming media...this is the reason M$ made the wifi adapter 802.11a support as people do actually use there 360s as a media center extender aswell as a games console.

Sorrry, just read original post, didn't realise at first that the OP was actually after a 802.11a router, I assumed there was a word missing in the type. I thought he was after just a cheap wireless router that wouldn't interfere.

Seems odd that they are interfering as they are, what wireless standard are you using at the moment? And have you tried a variety of different channels?
Try running NetStumbler on your PC (if it is wireless) to see what channels are being used by other users in your area.

I have MCE on my PC and agree 802.11g is not ideal for streaming HD content, mine won't handle 1080p WMV-HD (8Mbps approx) files well; and it's reliabilty is dependent on how many other wireless networks in the surrounding area are active at the same time.

one thing i have noticed as there are soooooo many wifi routers nowadays poping up in most peoples areas the problem with interferance is really limited to what channel and how close there nearest AP is to you. with b,g you only have 12channels (13 with certain wifi cards/routers) to play with so if there are a lot of networks most probably one of them will be using the same channel.

802.11a is obviously in the 5ghz band and has over 100 channels to play with. this being a bigger plus point to anyone living in an area with 12+ routers/AP's

ive got several 1080p WMVHD/mpeg movies that i stream around the house with no problems and at the same time.

for me personally its the way to go, i use a vaio ar21s, 360, IBM T60, and various 'A' Devices(with intel pro A,B,G cards)and i have B+G disabled on my AP and router.

Works for me as there are no other 'A' routers/AP's in my area :)

I stream WMVHD's no problem over g band no problem. Afterall they are only 6mb/s which is way less than the router handles.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom