Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

XBOX 360 and PS3 outputs to PC monitor?

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by PinkPig, Jun 24, 2005.

1. PinkPig

PinkPig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello there,

Right now I'm in the process of spending quite a lot of money on a new PC, and I'd really like to include in that a nice monitor, since I watch quite a lot of films and play games and so on on it - I'm thinking about something along the lines of a Dell 2001fp or 2005fpw.

However, I'm also a bit of a console fan, and would love to get an XBOX 360 or PS3 when they are eventually released - however I have the problem that I don't really have anything more than a portable TV. I watch DVDs and television using my PC and TV card, which looks great, and I'd be a bit disappointed to have to go back to the portable for a new console. So I'm considering spending a bit less on the PC and getting hold of a decent-ish TV.

But, with all this talk of the new consoles having DVI or VGA outputs, or whatever, would I be able to view them on the LCD PC monitor? I've heard that the XBOX 360 might have a VGA output. If that's the case, will I be able to directly hook it up to the PC? What about DVI? Does the PS3 support anything like this? I take it that I won't be able to connect an HDMI signal to the PC at all?

I guess this is somewhat speculation since the new consoles aren't around yet, but I'd love to know if it's expected to be possible. I did try getting a gamecube and PS2 connected to my monitor at the moment (it's a fairly old CRT) - but the picture quality is terrible, and I've tried loads of different methods from a VGA box to a TV card input, none of them look any good.

Any advice is much appreciated!

Matt G

(P.s. we're not going to have that horrible situation where the PAL console doesn't support something that the US console does, again, are we? :eek: )

2. bodyfodder

bodyfodder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. nick501

nick501

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +782
    you might well call me naive but that interview has made my mind up what next gen console to go for.....360 it is then?

excellent news about the VGA support too!

4. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    it wont be scaling to 720p at all. MS has told the dev's each game will need to meet certain criteria such as live awarness and 720p and 1080i output. the 720p will be native for the game so no scaling to this res is needed. the scaling will be down scaling if you only have a tv that supports 480i/576i