xbox 360 and non widescreen TVs

conebone69

Standard Member
Reaction score
i play ps3 on a 36 inch 4:3 CRT and the image scaling cuts off the sides and top of my display. i've tried every display setting and it is still the same.

does anybody know if this is the same case for xbox 360 on a non widescreen tv?

this is kind of what it looks like:

73ihd1.jpg

as opposed to how it should be:

2rnf11l.jpg

It will be exactly the same i guess, if not surely the image would be extremely squashed since all games are rendered natively at a 16:9 ratio?

do you mean it will be the same as the ps3, and that the sides will be cut off as well?

I swear there's an option to turn off widescreen in the display options menu. Does changing this not revert the image to 4:3?

This is what i'm not sure of, obviously if it was a tv channel then there would be problems due to how the program was filmed but i'm not sure how it works with games. The dash and game itself still have a native res and that res must be of a 16 x 9 ratio so surely the image will look squashed on a 4:3 tv (even if you set the console to 4:3) unless the letterbox option is used to create massive black borders at the top and bottom.

In TV a 16:9FHA image can be converted to either 14:9 LBX or 16:9 LBX for display on 4:3 monitors. To get a full frame 4:3 image you would need to "lob off" all information at the sides of frame to preserve the height. Seems the PS3 is doing a compromise of the two !

sorry, i am a nub when it comes to these things, i don't really understand what you guys are saying. i just need to know if the sides will be cut off if i play street fighter iv on xbox 360 on a 4:3 crt tv.

i'd rather have the two black bars at the top and bottom than to have the sides cut off. is there an option for this?

thanks.

sorry, i am a nub when it comes to these things, i don't really understand what you guys are saying. i just need to know if the sides will be cut off if i play street fighter iv on xbox 360 on a 4:3 crt tv.

i'd rather have the two black bars at the top and bottom than to have the sides cut off.

thanks.

The PS3 has to compromise some picture information to make the 16:9 image fit into a 4:3 monitor. You could set your PS3 to output 16:9 and you would have all of the image but everything would be squished and appear thin. Either way you will end up losing something unless you letterbox the image i.e you zoom down the 16:9 image to fit within the 4:3 monitor, you will then end up with black bars top and bottom but you will have the full (slightly smaller) image.

I'll see if I can find some images online that will illustrate it better.

Ok, take a look at this. Its not massively relevant to gaming but it does illustrate where the compromises/sacrifices need to be made.

aspectRatio.png

i just went into my service menu of my Sharp 36UF5 TV and got these values:

V02 49(073) 5

i have no idea what this means. can someone help me out or direct me to the proper place in finding how to set them so that my display does not get cut off from my ps3. thanks.

You can't really avoid it cutting off the edges. You are trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. The image is too big for the screen, and therefore you have to chop bits off to make it fit.

If you set the PS3 to output 16:9, the settings on the main TV menu may have options for letterbox .etc. but that all depends on the age of the TV.

Personally I would have used the money I spent on a PS3 to buy a new TV.

i play ps3 on a 36 inch 4:3 CRT and the image scaling cuts off the sides and top of my display. i've tried every display setting and it is still the same.

does anybody know if this is the same case for xbox 360 on a non widescreen tv?

its called "overscan" and perfectly normal.
if you want rid of it(on everything from movies, to games), then buy an lcd/plasma/monitor capable of 1:1 mapping.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom