Xbox 360 and Hitachi 32LD7200

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
Reaction score
Just got my vga cable today to use with my 32LD7200, but unsure what settings to have it on.

It was easy with the component as all I had to choose was 720 or 1080 but now with the vga cable there are loads of different screen resolution settings in the xbox 360 and not to mention any that might be on the tv. Any ideas people? Should I just set the xbox console to the highest res, 1366 x something if I can recall?? and leave the tv settings as normal?

Thanks
Greg

As the 360 outputs 1280x720 then it's probably best to use that. If you use the higher res then the 360 is just upscaling the 720p image to fit. Saying that, your set will probably upscale the 720p signal to 1360x768 as that's the native resolution of the panel in your LCD TV unless there is an option on the TV not to upscale the signal.

Try both 1280x720 and 1360x768 and see what looks best. You have a very good LCD TV to try them on :)

IIRC, the highest resolution available on the 360 is the native resolution of the 32LD7200.

I had the VGA cable with mine and used those settings with great results:)

With the VGA cable, I use the highest setting of the 360 (1360x768) and have the WXGA Mode of RGB2 set to 1366x768. I've also used the auto adjust function and adjusted the brightness settings etc (YMMV). It all looks fabulous now.

sdb123 said:
IIRC, the highest resolution available on the 360 is the native resolution of the 32LD7200.

I had the VGA cable with mine and used those settings with great results:)
i've got this tv to ..do you need an adapter for the vga lead? i can't see were it would fit.also is it that much better over the lead that came with the xbox?cheers
signs

anybody :lease:

Thanks all for the replies. I did have the xbox set to the highest anyway, but not the TV, so have changed it to WXGA mode and auto adjusted it as suggested and it looks great! :)

signs said:
i've got this tv to ..do you need an adapter for the vga lead? i can't see were it would fit.also is it that much better over the lead that came with the xbox?cheers
signs

anybody :lease:

Well it depends if you got the core or premium pack. Not too sure really as I can see a slight difference between component and vga. Still looks amazing!

As for the vga connection, just have a look at the back of the tv, you will see the vga connection. It's RGB2 i think. It's not on the same row as the component connections it the next row in.

PlexShaw said:
With the VGA cable, I use the highest setting of the 360 (1360x768) and have the WXGA Mode of RGB2 set to 1366x768. I've also used the auto adjust function and adjusted the brightness settings etc (YMMV). It all looks fabulous now.

Hi PlexShaw if you wouldn't mind could you tell me what settings you have chosen, brightness, etc.

lewmac - you could check out the link in my sig line... ;)

lewmac said:
Hi PlexShaw if you wouldn't mind could you tell me what settings you have chosen, brightness, etc.
Disclaimer: I know nothing about the correct setup of AV gear. The settings I use basically make the picture when using the VGA cable look less washed out and similar that that of using component with the mighty Lordpeewee's settings. YMMV.

Here goes:

Contrast: +10
Brightness: -5
Colour: +21
Hue: 0
Picture Enhancement: Off
Colour Temp.: Normal
Back Light: +4

You may well find these settings entirely unsatisfactory, and I wouldn't blame you if you did. I'm actually going to have to revert back to component soon (long story), but when using VGA with these settings, the image seems less "washed out" and more like it does when using component.

I am, as always, open to suggestions on ways to improve on such "glorious" settings.

I used DVE to configure my XBOX settings with VGA. The colour setting on my Hitachi is 0 this give accurate colours. Brightness is 0 and I think contrast was about -5. Backlight was also -5.

So in summary

Contrast: -5 (I think)
Brightness: 0
Colour: 0
Hue: 0
Picture Enhancement: High
Colour Temp.: Normal
Back Light: -4

so how much better is the pic between the VGA and the standard leads that are supplied with the premuim pack
Cheers

It's a bit better. Not loads, but the picture is definitely much more clearer and sharper. Certainly worth the outlay for the cable.

It's a bit better. Not loads, but the picture is definitely much more clearer and sharper. Certainly worth the outlay for the cable.

bit of a blast from the past this thread :)
it's a bit of a long story why i did'nt use my vga lead ,but i might get another one now,cheers Greg

Well having read this thread I ordered one of these VGA cables from Amazon to replace my cable that came with the Premium Console.

Got a feeling I must be missing something, I've fiddled around with the settings for a couple of hours now and can't get a picture that is anywhere near as good as I got with component. Not as bright, not as clear and certainly not as shart (everything seems blurred).

I've used the same settings as mentioned above and with a backlight of +4 I feel as though I need a torch just to see it!

Anyone got any more advice on what settings I should be using?

Cheers Chaps!

I have the same tv as you mate and have both cables and to be perfectly honest I think the component is better. Does your TV buzz on dark scenes too? :(

How do you eliminate the small black border caused by the 6 missing pixels down the right hand side of the screen when using VGA.:confused:

Caused by the difference between the TV's 1366 x 768 and only outputting 1360 x 768 on the 360.:confused:

Just on a side note anyone else very impressed with the sound on this set?

I was so impressed that I packed up my 5.1 system and just use the TV's speakers cleared a few wires in the process too.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom