Xbox 360 5.1 surround sound HELP PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Shayne AFC, Nov 27, 2010.

1. Shayne AFC

Shayne AFC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have the new xbox 350 with the 250gb harddrive.
    i have it on my samsung tv via a HDMI cable and have it plugged into my surround sound via an optical cable.
    the sound comes out great but it is only coming out of 2 speakers, how do i get it to come out of all 5, i have changed the setting on the dashboard to 5.1 and nothing has changed
    PLEASE HELP, thanks

2. DamianMason

DamianMason
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Is this for streaming media or for games?

If you're streaming remember you need to have DivX installed as well as the AC3 filter on your computer to playback mkvs.

3. JohnDenholm

JohnDenholm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    What surround kit?

it could be something as simple as going to to your audio settings on the Xbox and make sure the output is set to 'Dolby 5.1'

4. devildog93

devildog93
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In the Peace area....that is close enough.
    Ratings:
    +1
    As far as I understand, the 360 only accepts 2 channel audio in a stream. Unless that audio is a specific Windows codec. One of the variants of WMA I believe.

PS3 Media server does have a variant version called MAGMA that was specifically designed to make streaming 5.1 audio (DTS/DD) to a 360 possible.
    PS3 Media Server: Magma Edition
    It hasnt been updated recently, but it worked when I used to stream to my 360.:)

I have yet to find a good Windows based (WMP/WMC) for streaming HD audio or video to the 360.

TVersity, as well, can be tweaked, but I found I spent more time messing with it than actually watching videos.:thumbsdow

It hasn't been updated in a while.....and I only stream to my PS3 (using the official release....tweaked to my liking), so I can't tell you if it will work properly for you.

But another possible option for 5.1 streaming.....as well you get the added bonus of using the best media server for all your other videos and other media........IMHO:)

It real time updates, transcodes on-the-fly, higher playback success rate than all other media players I have tried.
    And the MAGMA edition might suit you well.

Peace.

5. niall campbell

niall campbell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    if you have the TV optical out to amp as well as using HDMI , then Samsung only outputs stereo 2 channel

try putting the cable from the xbox to the amp

6. Watchcote

Watchcote

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Sounds like a daft question, but have you set up your amp for 5:1 or is it set for stereo? Mine does allsorts and you have to choose the correct output!

7. Dinky Dragon

Dinky Dragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +347
    You want

Xbox (HDMI) TV
    Xbox (Optical) AMP

OR

XBox (HDMI IN) AMP (HDMI OUT) TV

8. BoonDog

BoonDog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    right, the above posts may have answered this for me already... which will put an end to it I guess :thumbsdow but let me see if I understood it correct.

I have a win7 64bit laptop with media center that connects to my 360 slim 250gb via the extender.

My xbox is connected to my Onkyo 607 via optical (toslink).
    My Xbox plays games in full dolby digital 5.1

I have the Shark007 codec pack installed.
    WMC extender plays MKVs, MP4s etc perfectly... apart from it only ever sees 2channel audio no matter what I do.

My laptop only has a standard 2 channel headphone jack, or an available HD audio driver from Nvidia if I connect it via HDMI (defeats the point of streaming!).

My questions:
    1. Because my laptop only recognises 2channels (ctrl pnl > sound), then media center only allows me to configure 2 channels via the tasks > setup, there for the stream will always be 2 channels.

Is this the reason why the xbox only gets 2 channels? Are there anyways to change this?

or
    2. is it because when you stream (even know the source file has a full 5.1 audio stream in it) WMC will only ever stream 2 channels. This would be very frustrating indeed!

Ideally I would like the streaming file to pass all of the sound info over the stream, then let the Extender/AV grab the most appropriate setup for it. Either that or actually allow a way to configure the extender sound seperately from the parent WMC on my laptop.

Am I wishing for to much here? It really is starting to drive me mad so anyone with some insight in the matter would save what ever hair I have left!:lease:

9. niall campbell

niall campbell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    why doesnt the xbox connect via HDMI to amp

then HDMI from amp to TV ?

10. BoonDog

BoonDog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    er... it does? not sure you've understood the question properly...

everything goes into my Onkyo 607.. there is no issue with the picture (which is the only thing being transmitted via HDMI from the xbox), so I only listed the audio link between devices (optical via toslink).

I have played around with formats, and forcing the shark codecs to output in 5.1 and did have some success... so think it may be more down to the encoding of the sound channels in the movies... will update if I narrow it down to the definitive answer

11. niall campbell

niall campbell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    i must be missing something then

the HDMI channel should carry the audio formats so therefore no need for optical cable ? ! ? :facepalm:

12. BoonDog

BoonDog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    yes, you can carry audio and video with the HDMI cable, but this isn't 'optimal'. As the optical output from the xbox will allow you a better digital to digital connection via the toslink, this is what I am using...

13. niall campbell

niall campbell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
  14. themediaman

themediaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Can you try watching a 5.1 movie off a USB drive, I think it may be to do with the windows media sharing, so you might be best with another software........

Good luck.......

15. The Dreamer

The Dreamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,560
    I have a similar setup (Onkyo 606) which works flawlessly when not using the TOSLINK for Audio (I have never tried).

Xbox receives stream over network, feeds into Onkyo amp via HDMI (only), amp plays 5.1 sound, (Samsung) TV displays picture from HDMI feed - simples! :smashin:

I use VOB rips of DVDs remuxed into MPG files - audio stream hasn't been touched.

HTH

16. Wyclif

Wyclif
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a similar question. Except I plan on either playing Netflix or just plan DVDs with the Xbox 360. I've got an older (~2002is) OnkyoTX-SR500 receiver. because of its age it has no HDMI ports. I have a Vizio TV with an optical port, which happens to be the most advanced audio port on the receiver as well. So is it possible to get 5.1 out of the Xbox? If so which is the proper setup?

Should I go : Vizio to receiver via Optical w/ Xbox 360 to Vizio via HDMI?

OR

Xbox 360 to Vizio via HDMI w/ the older composite/component cables which had an optical port on it to the Receiver?

17. themediaman

themediaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Optical from xbox to onkyo......for audio......

Hdmi from xbox to tv for video......at no point do you need video going to an audio decoder......

Sent from my HTC Legend using AVForums

18. The Dreamer

The Dreamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,560
    ...unless your TV hasn't enough HDMI inputs and your AV amp provides for HDMI switching - which the Onkyo does.

Also, helps eliminate any lip-sync issues one may get by feeding the Audio and Video via seperate means - note, I'm not saying that you will have lip sync issues if you choose to split A + V, just that they should be minimized by keeping them together (that, and the Onkyo allows to correct for lip-sync should you so desire.)

I have simply kept my setup the same from when I was using a TV with only one available HDMI socket, to the multitude I now have available...... - with no issues wrt surround sound.

ATB

19. Wyclif

Wyclif
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sadly my Onkyo does not have any HDMI input. The OnkyoTX-SR500 is from ~2002 and was therefore pre-broad adoption of the standard.

Should I expect HDMI video and optical audio sync issues? What usually causes it?