• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Xbox 360 120gb HDD - not being detected

foofong1

Standard Member
I bought a 120gb HDD yesterday, for next day delivery, and it came 40 minutes ago.

Despite the Amazon seller having 98% good feedback, and the seller stating 'very good' condition, I found a part of the plastic cracked and the overall casing not in 'very good' condition. However, I figured that if it works that's all that matters.
So I turn off my console, and put in the HDD, and turn it back on. I go into the memory section, and find that the only thing it's picking up is the internal memory. It doesn't even see that I have inserted the HDD.
So do the whole thing over again, I turn it off, take it out, put it back in and turn it on again - same problem. I have done this 4 times now, to no avail.

There's no error message, it just doesn't see it.

What's the problem?

brumhee

Distinguished Member
I bought a 120gb HDD yesterday, for next day delivery, and it came 40 minutes ago.

Despite the Amazon seller having 98% good feedback, and the seller stating 'very good' condition, I found a part of the plastic cracked and the overall casing not in 'very good' condition. However, I figured that if it works that's all that matters.
So I turn off my console, and put in the HDD, and turn it back on. I go into the memory section, and find that the only thing it's picking up is the internal memory. It doesn't even see that I have inserted the HDD.
So do the whole thing over again, I turn it off, take it out, put it back in and turn it on again - same problem. I have done this 4 times now, to no avail.

There's no error message, it just doesn't see it.

What's the problem?

I'm guessing it didn't come in blister packaging?

How much did you pay for it? What did it say in the advert? Where are the cracks in the case (this may indicate that someone has opened it badly)?

foofong1

Standard Member
I'm guessing it didn't come in blister packaging?

How much did you pay for it? What did it say in the advert? Where are the cracks in the case (this may indicate that someone has opened it badly)?

It came bubble-wrapped in a box, inside another box.

MAXXIMUM DIGITAL-120GB Hard Drive for Xbox 360 System (Bulk Packaged): Amazon.co.uk: PC & Video Games
That's what I bought, and including delivery cost me just under £60.

The crack is on the underside, on the mesh part towards the larger end. Also, despite it plugging in with no damage to that part of it, it isn't 'clicking' in when i insert it, and it's difficult to insert and remove, I think because a part of the plastic is a little misshapen, but it does insert (though obviously I can't be 100% sure it's inserting, because I can't see it after I've put it in... but I'm pretty certain)

brumhee

Distinguished Member
It came bubble-wrapped in a box, inside another box.

MAXXIMUM DIGITAL-120GB Hard Drive for Xbox 360 System (Bulk Packaged): Amazon.co.uk: PC & Video Games
That's what I bought, and including delivery cost me just under £60.

The crack is on the underside, on the mesh part towards the larger end. Also, despite it plugging in with no damage to that part of it, it isn't 'clicking' in when i insert it, and it's difficult to insert and remove, I think because a part of the plastic is a little misshapen, but it does insert (though obviously I can't be 100% sure it's inserting, because I can't see it after I've put it in... but I'm pretty certain)

I looks like its not an official xbox HDD and therefore not guaranteed to work.

I am sure some of the more techy guys on here will be more accurate than me but I would suggest sending it back and getting a new one.

foofong1

Standard Member
Uch...that sucks....a lot...

Although it looks like an official HDD, I just noticed it doesn't have the stickers....you know on the underside? Yeah, they're not there, although you can see in the plastic where they should be...if you know what I mean.
I really hate to send it back....paid quite a lot for next day delivery, and gonna have to pay for the return as well :/ I just don't understand what the problem is.

m1ket

Well from the link details...

Technical Details

* MAXXIMUM DIGITAL Version, Save 50% off the retail price!!
* Hard Drive Only, no adaptor cable included
* 100% Money Back Guarantee!!
* MAXXIMUM DIGITAL Product, compatable with all Xbox360s

Probably contact them doesnt sound like the official product though

astar0th

Distinguished Member
Over one of the 4 screws on the underside there should be a silver MS sticker. The sticker will fit in an indent in the plastic about 10mm square. If that's not there then it's been opened without a doubt. It sounds to me (obviously this is just my "opinion" from what you have said) like it's a cloned drive that's gone bad.

If i were you i'd get straight back onto them and get your money back. Send it back via recorded delivery as well so you have proof they have received it. I doubt you'll get the postage back but once you receive your refund, head over to the classifieds on here and pick up another for a little over half the price of what you had paid for this one. :smashin:

foofong1

Standard Member
Thanks guys, yeah I think you're right so sent it off today. I can't get a replacement (not that I want one) so I'm getting a refund from amazon. This is the third time they've screwed me over.... I'm not shopping at amazon anymore....

And I think I'll take your advice astroturf and have a look on this site :p
In the mean time I'll have to make do with not playing the Borderlands expansions....
Again, many thanks.

arcijs26

Standard Member
Hey guys i have a similiar problem. When i attach my 20 gb hdd ( original because shop bought and original microsoft stickers) my xbox 360 doesnt detect it. I bought a special data transfer cable. I connected it trough usb to xbox 360 and then it worked. Even with computer. But how come it doesnt work like it was meant to be? Do i have to download update or what?

The latest video from AVForums

JVC 4K projectors, Denon X3800 & Perlisten speaker reviews, adding a sub to 2-channel + AV/HiFi news
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom