XBOX 360 100" PJ image...

Houldey

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was just wondering what you all thought of the quality of the average XBOX 360 game on a large screen.

I've got a 100" 720p screen, and it certainly doesn't exactly do the 360 any favours. Jaggies (aliasing) are obviously more visible, as is the fact that the games are obviously not putting out 720p images, rather the 360 is just upscaling them to 720p.

Secondly, due to the above fact about most games less than 720p native res., would a 1080p PJ (all other things being equal) give no increase in perceived quality? I suppose the 360 would then upscale to the PJs native res. and therefore if the 360 is good at this jaggies would be less prominent. But a low res. texture is a low res. texture at the end of the day.

Don't get me wrong, a bigger screen is still way more immersive, but sometimes it's just like, wow, this image isn't incredible. Fifa 09 is what got me noticing this the most, as you can barely read the names on the strips in the arena. However, I do believe that Fifa is a particularly bad offender as far as GFX are concerned.

Any opinions would be interesting,

H

P.S. I assume that this is the correct forum for a post of this nature.

play on a 108" all the time and never notice jaggies...using a720p projector too, mainly play FPS, but have played fifa and never noticed anything. doesn't mean tehya weren't there, just not enough for me to notice

about 12 feet

Hi all,

I was just wondering what you all thought of the quality of the average XBOX 360 game on a large screen.

I've got a 100" 720p screen, and it certainly doesn't exactly do the 360 any favours. Jaggies (aliasing) are obviously more visible, as is the fact that the games are obviously not putting out 720p images, rather the 360 is just upscaling them to 720p.

You'll still get aliasing if the game is native 720p or 1080p and has no little or AA, it's got very little to do with resolution (CoD 4 for example looks great and that's 1024x600 + 2xAA)

1080p adds nothing for Xbox 360 unless the game actually is 1080p, the 360 has excellent scaling to 1080 but you'll only get a higher pixel density with the occasional scaling artifact, there's no more detail lurking in there.

I haven`t played in 100" the maximum i have played in about 55 inch not bigger than that....... the experience must be awesome :)

Whats your pj and what connections you using?

I've had my xbox on a 100ish inch screen for the last 3 years. I've just changed from a 720p to a 1080p projector. On neither projector would I say the pic is bad, its very sharp and clear. In fact it was a lot easier to read text etc on the screen than viewing it on a tv. I havent played it to see it, but it sounds like yours isn't set up right if you can barely read the strips etc on fifa.

I've had my xbox on a 100ish inch screen for the last 3 years. I've just changed from a 720p to a 1080p projector. On neither projector would I say the pic is bad, its very sharp and clear. In fact it was a lot easier to read text etc on the screen than viewing it on a tv. I havent played it to see it, but it sounds like yours isn't set up right if you can barely read the strips etc on fifa.

yeah that would echo my thoughts...i'd suspect a setup issue

Well, I'm no tech. noob. It is definitely set up correctly. The 360 is connected via HDMI with the dashboard set to 720p). The PJ is the HD65. It is clear why the names on the shirts aren't very readable. It is simply because although the shirt looks 'big', it only occupies relatively few pixels on the large screen. I assume it's easier to read on a smaller screen, as more smoothness will be perceived due to the fact that you can't identify individual pixels.

Anyway, I think as always I just expect too much. Ultimately, console games need to reach at least 1080p native res. before blowing the image up doesn't highlight its shortcomings. Roll on next gen.!

Cheers for the feedback,

H

I use my 360 on my HD65 via component and I cant see any problems with it at all...

Everything looks sharp and clear to me.

My PJ is about 13ft from the wall, and I sit about 14/15ft from the wall. And my visible image is 116" :p

I have my xbox projecting an image about 7ft wide, using an Optoma hd700x. I sit about 8ft back from it and it looks stunning.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom