1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

xbox 129.99

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Sly, Oct 13, 2002.

1. Sly

Sly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    dixons r doing xbox @ 129.99 when u trade in some stuff,
    but game will match the price without the trade in...........
    THATS A XBOX FOR 129.99!!
    you got no excuse.....................get ya cash out!

2. ytgti

ytgti
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Wrong thread dude.

If its the one i'm thinking of its a next gen console that you trade in, so you get about £30 for it.:clown: ;)

3. Sly

Sly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    but not at game...........................
    they will just sell u 1 for 129.99!!
    pretty good if u ask me.
    :eek: :D :eek:

4. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Pretty amazing price if you ask me. I wonder just how low the three main players are prepared to go this Christmas.

5. stewarth

stewarth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Xbox will be available with Sega GT2002 and Jet Set Radio for the current standard price before Christmas as an official package.

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not really a lot of point buying a budget DVD player when the x-box is available for that price. They must be losing a fortune on each console surely, really is a bargain for that price and if anyone is prepared to pay £40 for a PS2 then I really will believe the world has gone mad!

Andy

7. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Microsoft is sinking a ton of money into XBox Live, and they want to make sure that enough people have the system to make it worthwhile.

I'm expecting a huge marketing blitz from now til X-Box-mas.

8. stewarth

stewarth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I heard the PS2 will be less than £100 by Christmas.

Microsoft are losing tons of money on the Xbox as they cannot re-engineer parts to make them cheaper to produce (as they are off the shelf products in the main).

The PS2 on the other hand has had a few re-designs to cut production costs, hence the price cuts (together with increased competition).

What are the AAA games that Microsoft will have for Xbox Live. PS2 will have Auto Modelista (add on disc later), GT4, Resident Evil Online, star Warsetc. plus the usual sports games.

9. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here's a few XBox Live titles that I can think of off the top of my head:

Halo 2
    Whacked
    MotoGP
    Madden
    NFL2K3

There's a bunch more, but I couldn't be bothered to look for them. :)

But I think the big selling point for XBox Live is that you don't have to go out and buy a bunch of peripherals to get online. If you've got an XBox and a broadband connection, you're good to go. (once you get an account of course)

Frankly, if you've got an XBox and broadband internet, I don't see any reason why not to give Live a go, at least for the first year. (after that, they start charging a monthly fee) I'm guessing that's what MS are thinking too, so they just need to get the consoles into the houses to build a thriving online community. Course, that doesn't mean online console gaming is going to succeed, but the potential is certainly there.

10. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how's PS2 going to have resi evil online, i though you could only get Code Veronica for PS2? I may be tempted to purchase a second console to keep my gamecube company at these prices... although with Mario and Resi Evil currently on the go who needs either?!

11. Dom H

Dom H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Xbox has had several parts changed for cheaper alternatives. The video chip for one.

PS2 has great games (plaed burnout 2 today loved it) but it's online plans aren't even in the same ballpark as xbox live. Expect a good proportion of ALL Xbox games released to incorporate Live.

Some of the top of my head (ish)

Unreal Championship
    Halo 2
    Project Gotham 2
    Rallisport 2
    MotoGP
    Mech Assalut
    Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II
    Star Wars: Galaxies
    Counter-Strike
    Sega GT
    Brute Force (maybe)

plus a bunch of games with downloadable content.

12. stewarth

stewarth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is what I don't understand. Resi is supposed to be Gamecube exclusive but at the Japan launch of the hard drive/adaptor one of the future games anounced was Resident Evil Online.

Theres no doubt Microsoft are going all out for Online play wereas Sonys plans are more conservative until the PS3 is launched.

13. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, Microsoft is jumping into the deep end of the online pool. (Nintendo and Sony are in the shallow end with water wings on :) )

If online console gaming takes off, it'll be MS who reaps the rewards. If, however, it's still too early for massive uptake of online console gaming, then MS will be the one to take the loss. They are definitely gambling on online gaming.

14. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hope Xbox Live does kick off since if anything it could help establish BB more in the UK. We're always playing catch-up with the rest of the world with technology and only now the UK is thinking about installing fibire-optics on a residential scale. If I've been reading the right sources, Sweden has a fibre-optic network already installed and test runs have been very positive. Hopefully the UK will invest the cash into such technology... But then I'm not hopeful (digital TV in 95% of the population by 2005? Pfft...).

Microsoft is the only company really that can pull off the online gaming scene IMO since they have the cash, the expertise and the right contacts to make it work. If they could lower the initial cost of the Xbox even more or make a similar deal that Sega did in Japan (sign up for the online service and get cash off the console.. or give it free) then it would tempt a lot more people into the gamble. No doubt Nintendo and Sony are waiting for Microsofts results before showing their plans, if any, for online gaming.

For me the fact that Capcom Vs SNK 2 will be online has sold it for me ^_^ Along with Tekki...

As for the Resident Evil thing... It is a bit odd but then Capcom have said that if sales of the franchise is not high enough then they will re-evaluate the current exclusive deal. Resident Evil : Remake bombed in Japan and I can't remember the sales figures in the US and Europe. Most people tohught the remake was the same, but we all know the score about that so an awful lot is resting on Resident Evil Zero. Personally I don't think the Resident Evil franchise is as big as it once was, much like Mario and Street Fighter.

We have now moved on to a new generation of gamers and most are only interested in how many polygons a second the engine can push, how impressive the volumetric fog is, bump-mapping etc... Which is a shame. Its the PSX cycle all over and the industry has to adapt with such changes which sadly would mean more low risk sequels than ever before...

Now, what was the topic again? ^_^

15. stewarth

stewarth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hasn't the PS2 online kit already been launched in the US and Japan or in the very near future.

Most people in my avenue, who are online, already have broadband for internet use. I found it interesting that the PS2 standard online kit does not include internet access. It will however allow downloads of games, music, films etc. What else can the Xbox offer in its online plans at least in the short term before companies become more ambitious and try new things.

I heard the Xbox online kit would be launched in November unnoficially for the hardcore gamers so the system can be tested with an officall launch early next year when the system is fully up and running.

16. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The internet kit for the PS2 has been released in Japan and the USA already, its just Europe now >_<

Sony has a very different stance to online gaming than Microsoft. Sony and Nintendo are basically saying "we'll provide the hardware, you provide the servers and software"... Unlike Microsoft which have pushed online gaming to no end, providing servers, technical support etc for anything online. Microsoft is banking heavily on Xbox Live wheras Nintendo and Sony don't quite see it being very profitable. Basically they're going to let Microsoft be the guinea pigs and keep a close eye on the results.

I'm sure its not too long now before Europe will get beta testers for the Xbox Live network and it should be one heck of an experience. I've always said that in the 2nd half of the console wars that MS might surprise a few people and Xbox Live is MS's ace card... Hopefully they will play it right and provide the right software to make it worth being online. Simply having an online option won't be enough to hide a poor videogame and just providing FPS and racers won't entice the masses either.

Microsoft needs to add some innovation to online gaming and soon but all we can do is wait...

17. stalefish

stalefish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All I want is Final Fantasy online!

18. ytgti

ytgti
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    And SOCOM US Navy SEALS.

19. JamesOD

JamesOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    According to Chris Deering (head of sony europe) FFXI will not be here till 2004 by which point the rest of the world will no longer be playing it.

The ps2 will not go online until at least Feb. when SOCOM is launched but the response has not been good in the states where a bug in the game allows 56k users to play which renders the game useless.

If pro evo or even Fifa go online that would be cool I just cannot stand stop start NFL games.

20. stewarth

stewarth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Auto Modelista and GT4 please.

21. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Heard mixed things about Auto Modellista but I know GT4 will have online gameplay... It was announced off the bat but the game won't be out until late 2003 in Japan I believe >_< Pro Evo online would be sweet and Tekken 4 should have been online as well... Hopefully more fighting games will have online gameplay and other puzzle titles... Bust-A-Move, Bomberman etc.

As for FFXI online.. I might pick that up on the PC instead but we'll see.

22. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    You will find that Online RPGs (ala FF XI) have a long lasting appeal. I know you are exaggerating, but generally you find that with MMORPGS the take up at the start is not hugely strong, as a lot of people wait and see, what with bugs and lag being major factors.

Once these are ironed out then the take-up is steady until huge numbers are reached. Look at Everquest on PC or even Ultima Online, they still boast huge numbers even though they are 5 years old.

It will be interesting to see X-Box Live, hopefully MS have learned from The Zone, which was lame last time I used it.

BTW.... on MS providing the servers etc, that has never really been the case. The online games MS supported always have been directplay based games on a peer to peer basis. You log into their game matching client, but the server for the game is run on your equipment if you are the person who opens up a lobby.

Their support for that was generally if it works great, if it don't work then it is a problem with your system then sucks to be you. This is one area console gaming should do well in, in that online games will not be a ball ache to set up. One problem they will have is ability to significantly patch the games. I can see a lot of long running bugs setting in!!!!! Especially as it takes so long to balance sides etc.

23. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,745
    Does anyone know if it's possible to use the xbox to surf the net as well as play games online ? I already have a cable modem and a PC but am looking for a cheap way of setting up a 2nd point in the lounge using the TV to surf etc. At this price the Xbox looks fantastic value.

24. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure to be honest John.. Although I haven't been looking at the dev scene for the Xbox for some time. I remember that some Linux peeps have managed to install Win2k on the Xbox and run it like a PC though... Have a browse at some of the Xbox dev sites and I'm sure they have something cooking.