1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox 1080i on CRT monitor

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by drbeat, Nov 16, 2003.

1. drbeat

drbeat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Philips 109S40 19ins CRT monitor can be bought for £130 (=$220) and handles 1920x1440 at 60Hz. Its connections are as follows:-

1 x VGA - 15 pin HD D-Sub (HD-15)

Can it be connected to an xbox to receive 1080i/ 720p/ 480p games and if so, how?

PS. Are 1080i movies possible, bearing in mind even the geforce 2 on PC's can manage this. What about DivX/ WMV?

2. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Not unless you have something scaling the picture to that size.

Neil.

3. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    well that depends on quite a few things. the best option is a dongle called "xbox2vga". that can covert hi-def component from the xbox to vga.

the BIG problem, is that you need a modded (chipped) xbox to do it, since you need to flash the bios with a vga-enabled bios. after that, you can use a program on the xbox such as x-box media player/center to watch divx at any hi-def resolution you choose.

4. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Precisely, and for most games all you are going to get is 640*480, as very few support higher resolutions. Although why you would want to watch poor quality divx stuff at a higher resolution I'm not sure.

Regards,
    Neil.

5. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    it's not 640x480, it's standard 480i - in otherwords: 704x480. AFAIK ALL xbox games support at least 480p (thats 704x480 progressive). Most xbox games support higher, if if they don't a large majority can be patched to do so (needing a chiped xbox once again)

6. Richard Harnwell

Richard Harnwell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    This is certainly news to me. I was under the impression that only a very small percentage of Xbox games supported higher than 480p, and certainly wasn't aware they could be patched to higher resolutions. Are you sure?

The HDTV Game Database seems reasonably up-to-date, but only lists these games as having better than 480p:

• Dragon Lair 3d
    • Enter The Matrix
    • Syberia
    • Freedom Fighters
    • NBA 2K3
    • Street Hoops
    • Tony Hawk Pro Skater 4
    • World Series Baseball 2K3
    • Soul Calibur II

This is 9 games out of 202 that they list - less than 5%.

The site doesn't mention anything about patches to make games support higher resolutions (why wouldn't they just support higher resolutions in the first place?). I'd be very keen to know where I could find them (google search no good......).

Cheers,

Richard

7. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    bah i admit it. I can't find anything now. I'm certain mroe than a few games can be patched - tbh though i never took that much interest becuase i dont have a hi-def t.v.

I'll keep looking though, so i'll post when i come up with something:)

8. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
  9. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +935
    Out of the games listed above i have two, Freedom Fighters and SC2 which are both UK Pal versions. I currently have my modded xbox set to 480 but when i have a suitable display device, i have a pj on order, if i then select 720 will these then automatically play in 720?

10. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    There are a couple of games that don't support 480p also James. A few EA games, I think James Bond was one of them. The hacks work but they are problematic and you have to mess around alot with patches etc. The true best option is to buy a cheap scaler and use that to play on VGA, the Zinwell Brightview does this well and you can use it with a PAL Xbox to get a progressive scan picture without having to mod it etc.

Regards,
    Neil.

11. drbeat

drbeat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know if the vga converter allows 1080i/ 720p on a monitor, which is 4:3?

In reply to the statement about watching DivX at hi-res, I am not talking about magnifying 320X240 DivX movies as that would be a pointless exercise. I am talking about DivX movies encoded at 1080i.

Whereas these files may not currently exist, I imagine they will become increasingly more available in the future as blu-ray discs are too far away, but HDTV graphics cards/ consoles are already widely owned. Compression techiques would be necessary in order to fit all the data onto one DVD.

There are already examples of 1080p (yes 1920X1080 progressive) files on the Microsoft Windows Media Player 9 Content Showcase and thay are encoded in wmv format at bitrates only marginally more than those for DVD. Therefore the whole movie fits onto a DVD. If you know someone with a good graphics card and a broadband connection I recommend you check these clips out. I saw them on a Dell Gx270, and the gfx card wasn't anywhere near the best. However the files were still breathtaking with no visible artifacts or pixellation.

Currently Terminator 2 is about the only 1080p film for sale on amazon, although this may change if they sell alot of them. I would defintely buy it if I had the equipment. It would be easy for them to transfer the many currently available 1080i D-VHS movies onto wmv DVD, and avoid us having to pay for an expensive HDTV and DVHS player which may be incompatible with European standards of HDTV when it is introduced here - a long long way off.

Although the XBox may not be able to handle 1080p it could do 720p. Does anyone know if you play wmv in XBMP and can it handle these clips.

12. mr_b_at_home

mr_b_at_home

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    And if it can play the hd wmv titles...will it output DD 5.1 from them too
    :lease:

13. Richard Harnwell

Richard Harnwell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    What information is that based on?

Given the CPU & memory requirements for 720P decoding & playback on a PC, I'd be very surprised if the Xbox could it. There's a big difference between 720P from a game and that from a movie....

I'm not saying it is definately impossible, just seems very unlikely.

I'm sure the PS3 & Xbox 360 wouldn't have a problem though......

14. scumball

scumball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    I got XBMC to play 1280x720 23.96fps 6mb/s XviD with AC3 audio - but it takes about a day to re-encode the original Hi-Def source and started to annoy me so I bought a Radeon 9700 Pro for £45 for my PC and use that route now to play the original .ts files.

It will drop frames on 1920x1080 files, it will drop frames on clips with a bitrate over 6mb/s, it will drop frames on clips with MP3 audio, it will drop frames on clips with a framerate over 23.96 fps (so IVTC your NTSC clips...) - so partial Hi-Def and pretty impressive for a 733Mhz chip...and set the video renderer in XBMC to the lowest quality (I can't remember the name).

WMV-HD doesn't use AC3 DD5.1 it uses WMAPro and not knowing if the XBox will output this I do know that you'll need an amp that can decode WMAPro if it does and that's incredibly rare (in fact I think there is one! - a Pioneer) - it may downmix to Stereo/Surround.

15. Richard Harnwell

Richard Harnwell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Wow - I'm impressed (and stand corrected) that the Xbox can manage this!