Xbox 100Hz TV gaming - Opinions?

TheSwill

Standard Member
Reaction score
Did a very quick search on this so apologies if it's already been discussed, I'd hate to find out that my first topic was a duplicate.

I'd love to hear opinions on peoples TV / console setups. I've just got my new TV with a 100Hz processor and I can't decide about it. The motion blur is pretty obvious but overall I think it's a slightly better gaming experience.

Whats the general view on 100Hz modes with 360 consoles?

If you post your make and model of your TV someone else on here will probably be able to advise you to the best settings to make the most out of your purchase.

I have never seen an LCD TV where having 100hz on improved the picture, in fact it always makes it a smeary mess. For some content you may not notice the motion trails compared to it being disabled, but the rest of the picture is degraded.

While the 100Hz is certainly a good thing (in general), turn off any exaggerated options (i.e. Motion Plus on the Samsung panel in my sig).

It feels a bit fake and fluid-esque otherwise, and isn't really that great. Just my opinion on the matter :)

While the 100Hz is certainly a good thing (in general), turn off any exaggerated options (i.e. Motion Plus on the Samsung panel in my sig).

It feels a bit fake and fluid-esque otherwise, and isn't really that great. Just my opinion on the matter :)

That is the 100Hz, if you have disabled Motion Plus your TV is not doing any 100/120Hz processing.

Unlike CRT LCD/Plasma is not inherently any frequency, instead the TV does processing to invent new frames (temporal interpolation) to create new frames, a 100Hz TV with it enabled creates between 1 and 4 for every input frame depending on the input source.

Last edited:
That is the 100Hz, if you have disabled Motion Plus your TV is not doing any 100/120Hz processing.

Unlike CRT LCD/Plasma is not inherently any frequency, instead the TV does processing to invent new frames (temporal interpolation) to create new frames, a 100Hz TV with it enabled creates between 1 and 4 for every input frame depending on the input source.

I should be clearer - it's never set to 'high' as indicated by the OSD :rotfl: comprehension fail for me there!

Since I got my new TV I have been playing games with Motionflow set to Standard and topersonally I prefer it as gameplay is smoother and not so jerky and switching between the two I cant see any quality lose.

Since I got my new TV I have been playing games with Motionflow set to Standard and topersonally I prefer it as gameplay is smoother and not so jerky and switching between the two I cant see any quality lose.

It isn't such an issue for games, as to be honest they have very little detail with most rendered below 720p, but once you start getting proper 1080p film content then you should notice Motionflow ruins the detail.

It isn't such an issue for games, as to be honest they have very little detail with most rendered below 720p, but once you start getting proper 1080p film content then you should notice Motionflow ruins the detail.

I dont use Motionflow at all when watching BD's or Freeview as it produces what I can only describe as a speed up effect, I know it isnt doing anything to the speed but my eyes are telling me something different so I just leave it set to off for everything apart from 360 games.

The console is connected via HDMI to a LG 32LH5000

When watching digital tv and accidentally leaving the 100Hz (I think it's called TruMotion on LG panels) i notice that feel of a sped up picture as tho it's in fast forward but not.

What I notice more while gaming is the smudgy effect around static objects on a moving image (The HUD on most games for example). However the general image feels more responsive and ultimately smoother.

100Hz adds input lag, does it not?

The game mode on my Toshiba 42XV635 disables the 100Hz option. The AVF review of this TV says the standard input lag is 43ms but this is reduced to 20ms on game mode.

It's probably not all that noticeable, but I always use game mode and I don't notice any adverse effects from not having the 100Hz option.

100Hz adds input lag, does it not?

The game mode on my Toshiba 42XV635 disables the 100Hz option. The AVF review of this TV says the standard input lag is 43ms but this is reduced to 20ms on game mode.

It's probably not all that noticeable, but I always use game mode and I don't notice any adverse effects from not having the 100Hz option.

It adds a large amount of latency because it has to invent an extra frame for each existing frame, and that takes a lot of computation.

Game modes are generally advisable, TVs do all sorts of processing that isn't needed for gaming, but can add considerable latency.

Yep turn the damn lot off!!!

Well I did with my Lg anyway. Also consider sharpness as well
and things like noise reduction. They all cause extra processing by the TV.

Slim

only on some games do i leave my motion plus on, i find it isnt needed on most games and some games can get artifacting around small still images which are annoying, best left off i think.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom