Xbox (1) and DivX via Extender

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by gphillips, Mar 17, 2006.

1. gphillips

gphillips

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi,

I have read many comments regarding the lack of DivX and Xvid support from the Xbox 360 extender. I would like to ask if this is the same for the XBox 1 version of the extender?

I am serioulsy considering buying one, but I would like to know that everthing works, not just some things.

Could anybody list any known problems I will have with a first gen. Xbox and extender?

Also, in the Xbox forum I see that there is a "soft Mod". Will this allow the USA Extender program to work, or will it require a hardware mod?

Many thanks

2. Rambles

Rambles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,086
    Soft mod or hard mod will be fine, and if you also install xbox media center (xbmc) which is a free app, you can switch to that and playback all file types, divx, xvid, vobs etc.
    The one problem is stuttering on C4 and E4, both live and recorded.

3. gphillips

gphillips

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    THanks.

So to calrify, using the official media centre extender I cannot play any DivX or XVid? Even on the Xbox 1?

How bad is the stuttering? does it make the channel unwatchable? - And is this all the E4 channels, or just the primary "E4"?

Thanks

4. Rambles

Rambles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,086
    Correct

It is on all C4, E4 and More4 I think, it is watchable, but it will annoy you... an alternative is to re-encode the recordings on the media center pc and play them back through xbmc - for live tv - a cheapo freeview box.

5. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    The stuttering is only present if you have a DVB-T card (or USB2 box) as the TV source on the MCE system. It is not a problem for those like me who use a Sky digibox feeding an analogue TV capture card.

6. gphillips

gphillips

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    My understanding was the a Divx is just simply an AVI. If this playback is disabled, what video playback is possible?

7. Rambles

Rambles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,086
    Yes, good point Nigel - it is just Freeview that gets the C4 stutter.

Video playback via xbox V1 extender or xbox360 extender is just for MS supported codecs, so some mpg's, wmv's, dvr-ms - no vobs or divx/xvid. For that you can use xbmc on a V1 xbox.

8. MacBurp

MacBurp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    There is a software solution, called Transcode 360, that re-encodes Divx/Xvid on the fly to WMV for playback on the extender. It was written for Xbox 360, but it does work on v1 extenders including the original xbox. It does have limitations though, so you would be better off getting XBMC for your DivXs as others have suggested.

regards,
    Paul

9. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    On the official extender software you can play WMV, MPG1 and MPG2 video files oh and of course the DVR-MS.
    For playing back ripped dvds and divx I use XBMC.
    The only downer is that like lisa says C4 E4 stutter on the extender not sure why it occurs there has been some debate about the bit rate is too high but when I monitor it using the nvdida tool it so no higher than the other channels.
    and E4 +1 is fine ! I suppose due to the xbox 360 we will never get a fix from MS which is a great pity.

10. nigelbb

nigelbb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    It can't be a high bit rate as when I have been experimenting with DVB-S within MCE the bit rate is generally double that of DVB-T & I get no stuttering on C4 or any other channel.
    Considering that V1 extenders including the Xbox MCX were only sold in North America where there is no DVB-T then I think it highly unlikely that there will ever be a fix from Microsoft. ISTR that originally there was no problem with these channels & the Xbox MCX so the solution really lies in the hands of the broadcasters.

11. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I agree with you Nigel RE bit rate I think it was Sanderton on avforums who stated it was a bit rate issue for E4 C4. I wasn't aware that USA don't use DVB-T cards so guess there will never be a fix unless the tramsitters revert back to the old settings which is doubtful.