XBMC Wireless PC Playback

sdkmway

Hi All

Hoping someone here can point me in the right direction.

I've finally got the XBOX wirelessly chatting with the PC. Using XBMC, audio playback of files from the PC is fine. When I playback video files though its a different matter. After selecting the file from the SMB share, after a short pause the screen displays a small screen that seems to indicate its loading but then goes back to the file menu again.

I'm assuming its something to do with the XBMC cache. Do I need to clear this out? If so where? In the settings I've set the cache as high as it will let me.

Any help appreciated.
Cheers
Kev

richard plumb

try using an alternative method just to check whether its your network or perhaps your SMB setup?

I like using CCXgui for streaming off my PC and haven't had any problems even when the PC is downloading off the internet at full chat. I use SMB from my NAS, but thats wired to the xbox.

pjclark1

My xbox has no problems with wireless video playback.
I'm just sharing the files on my PC, you don't need to bother
with any silly streaming programmes.

sdkmway

Had another play around tonight and reduced the size of the network cache (i think) and that allowed videos to be played. I guess this was hogging all the space and by reducing it gave space back to others.

Kev

PaulBrum

Standard Member
SDKMWAY - risking opening up a can of worms - but can you tell me how you got your xbox connected wirelessly to your PC.

I'm looking at doing this once I've softmodded my XBox (awaiting the forums softmod kit) - my aim is to be able to play xvids, kvcd's. mpegs & avi files on my HD TV (via the xbox) in my conservatory - my PC is upstairs in the office.

Any advice appreciated.

Paul

mekonj

Novice Member
Sorry to jump on this thread but...

I have my xbox wirelessly connected to my pc. I have my pc connected to a Linksys WRT54G wireless router via ethernet cable upstairs in the office, and I have my xbox connected to a Netgear WGE111 wireless game adapter downstairs in the living room. My wireless network is encrypted using WPA and MAC filtering.

It works perfectly and I can stream movies (not HD quality) with 5.1 audio straight to my xbox with no skipping/loss of audio.

Hope this helps,

mekonj

sdkmway

PaulBrum said:
SDKMWAY - risking opening up a can of worms - but can you tell me how you got your xbox connected wirelessly to your PC.

I'm looking at doing this once I've softmodded my XBox (awaiting the forums softmod kit) - my aim is to be able to play xvids, kvcd's. mpegs & avi files on my HD TV (via the xbox) in my conservatory - my PC is upstairs in the office.

Any advice appreciated.

Paul
No probs. I've got a Linksys Wireless G Broadband router upstairs thats connected to the internet and the main pc. The xbox is connected via a belkin ethernet bridge. i couldn't get the bridge working straight off and had to install it on another pc to get the settings and set up the security, then put it back on the Xbox and it worked fine.

May have been a long way round for me but it worked.

Kev