XBMC - which version

Rambles

Distinguished Member
I have been reading that a newer release of xbmc supports DVD menu's from dvd's stored on the network. At the moment if I want to watch 24, it will only playback the first episode and not go into the menu to enable to select the next one..

I have also found a guide about how to update my current version of xbmc - what I don't know is which version I should be using? I have looked on p2p and there are so many different file versions - which one supports the new dvd feature and is stable?

Last edited:

Monty Burns

Yeah Lisa, it *attempts* to support it.

First thing to remember is that it is still a beta and so as such it does have bugs.

Right, now on to the bugs!

For the most part, yes the menu's work ok. Some however, do not. I have a re-createable error with "Bowling for Columbine" (purchased in Germany). If I try to switch the language to English the system locks... power off time. Its not the disk for two reasons:

1 - the disk works fine in other DVD players
2 - other random menu's on random disks do not work on XBMC.

Important thing to note here though is that with my Futurama disks I *can* select "Play All" and it does, without fail. When doing this it is also possible to jump forward - not ideal but it is a work around.

With the newer builds I have also noticed stuttering from network playback or disk but, again this is only occasional and not repeatable on demand. It also only seems to affect vobs/dvd and not avi', divx or xvid etc.

For the latest build? Get it from www.xboxmediacenter.com. You have to do a bit of peeking and poking around but the download instructions are there ;)

Good luck!

I can't honestly tell you the bulld version i'm using at the moment as I am at work. It is fairly recent though, within the past week or two.

Rambles

Distinguished Member
Thanks Monty,

You sound like a man who can help, if you have a moment....

1/ I have downloaded a 17/10/05 build by T3CH - is this good or bad, this TC3H person, should I use / avoid?

2/ Do I HAVE to edit the xboxmediacenter.xml file? I can open it in notepad or IE... but I haven't got a clue what all that writing means... what's the minimum I can do to just update my xbmc build?

thanks v much

Last edited:

tobyjuggler

I've not used that T3CH one yet, but it's the 'official' version on #xbins, so I'd guess it's fine.

As for the xml file, you can edit it in notepad if you like, but most of it can be edited via the GUI on XBMC once loaded, ie it contains all the options and settings you change in XBMC. Not sure what else it contains though.

Rambles

Distinguished Member
Yes, realised that even for me that was a stupid question :rolleyes:

Anyway - 'tis done and working :clap: Initial impressions are very funky and I accessed the DVD menu in seconds from a DVD ripped to my media center in file mode. Kewl :smashin:

Last edited:

Tejstar

I only got mine installed last Sunday and think it's an awesome piece of software. Imagine if this came pre-installed on all xboxes, would have shifted a lot more units imo!

Monty Burns

Hey Lisa

You should really edit one line as a minimum. Its the first entry and its where you specify the location of your XBMC install. There are MANY more options but, it looks like you've discovered these and they are in fact fairly easy ... once you figure it out :thumbsup:

And Tej, I heard a rumour that one of the guys that started of XBMC/XBMP (the 'sort of' predecessor) was hired by Microsoft to help with the development of X360. Even if this is untrue, you can be sure that MS have taken note of XBMC - after all, it is stunning for a free bit of software and totaly transforms an Xbox.

If you look at a 360, at least on paper, it appears that MS have taken its O/S to as near to an XBMC system as they dare/allow. MS are obviously limited by politics and copyright stuff.

Lisa, I would be greatfull if you can keep me informed of your DVD experiences with the build you have. I think over the past few weeks i've put about 3 diferent builds on and really can't be arsed to do anymore until I know DVD's are perfect again - yeah, "again", this new DVD core seems to be a small step backwards for me.

Cheers anyway and enjoy your new menus! :thumbsup:

Gary D

i would imagine that M$ were really impressed (behind closed doors ;) ) with XBMC - its one of my fav bits of kit (2nd only to the plasma)

as for savine bits.

a copy out the following directories when i upgrade/replace xbmc:

albums
skins
scripts and my xml file.

Gary

Monty Burns

Gary D said:
i would imagine that M$ were really impressed (behind closed doors ;) ) with XBMC - its one of my fav bits of kit (2nd only to the plasma)

as for savine bits.

a copy out the following directories when i upgrade/replace xbmc:

albums
skins
scripts and my xml file.

Gary
Aye, so do I! I would be if I ran huge multi-national and a bunch of hacks at home put together something that sells my box much better than I do. I would also be asking serious questions of my design team.

Hope you don't copy that XML over the new one, thats a big no-no. But, yes you are right, copy it out. What should then be done is open the new one and copy into that your settings... its a royal pain in the rear. (mentioned this incase anyone new to XBMC decides to just copy over the old XML ontop of the new one) :)

nigelbb

I have found the easiest way to keep up with latest versions of XBMC is to go to the PIMPED crew web site. There are weekly builds & links to Bit Torrents for each of them. The developers contribute to the forums.
http://bitspace.dyndns.org:6560

Trending threads

Top Bottom