XBMC on softmodded XBox safe for Live?

NinjaMonkeyUK

Hi everyone.

I've been hearing conflicting opinions on this matter so would appreciate some advice please.

I have recently done the softmod on my PAL XBox to enable the HD modes - 480p, 720p & 1080i. This all worked perfectly through the use of the Splinter Cell Linux save.

My question is, can I use the FTP capability on the Linux save to transfer the XBMC files across to my XBox without affecting XBox Live?

If so, do I just transfer all the files across? I have done a little reading up about the installation of XBMC on the XBMC wiki pages and it seems I may need to have an alternate dashboard installed to be able to launch XBMC.

I'm assuming that if I have an alternate dashboard installed then when I log into Live I will get banned. Is this correct?

My XBox will not be hardmodded so please bear that in mind when writing any answers.

My other option is to buy a second hand XBox and softmod that to use as a media centre.

Thanks for any advice you can give me!

triplea4uk

Get AID 3.0 its free that can sort out stuff for you, XB live will be fine as long as you set up your account before you soft mod your XB

NinjaMonkeyUK

triplea4uk said:
Get AID 3.0 its free that can sort out stuff for you,
I've already downloaded that but it looks to me like when using that you have to replace the original Microsoft dashboard with a new one to be able to use XBMC - surely that would have a negative effect on XBox Live?

triplea4uk said:
XB live will be fine as long as you set up your account before you soft mod your XB
Before I soft mod my XBox? I have had my XBox Live account for the last 6 months or so. What would happen if I was to set up my Live account after softmodding the XBox?

oddfeld

Iron Monkey said:
I've already downloaded that but it looks to me like when using that you have to replace the original Microsoft dashboard with a new one to be able to use XBMC - surely that would have a negative effect on XBox Live?

Before I soft mod my XBox? I have had my XBox Live account for the last 6 months or so. What would happen if I was to set up my Live account after softmodding the XBox?
It has an option to set up a dual boot system where it loads a Live-usable M$ dashboard if you start up with the eject button, or loads a third party dashboard replacement when you press the power button (it comes with UnleashX or EvoX but you can replace this with XBMC or whatever).

The reason for setting up your account first is because you don't have access to the network settings page to create a new account after the softmod - it dumps you straight in the Live section of the Dash (it uses exploited versions of some of the other dashboard files to load the softmod - you can't have everything). You can change most other things (IP addresses and such) from within XBMC/EvoX etc, or by running the original MS Dash as an application from within XBMC, but you can't actually create a new Live account without uninstalling the softmod (even just temporarily), since you need to log into Live in the course of setting one up, and you can't do that from within XBMC with a hacked bios resident.

So if you have a 6 month old account, that's fine, it'll already be set up and so you won't need the features disabled by the softmod.

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming to Netflix in November 2020: Tom's Thumbs.
Top Bottom