xbmc network help please and dvd backup

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by ginjim, Jan 20, 2008.

1. ginjim

ginjim
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well all this is new to me and it all sounds exciting and the more i read the more i want to do and it changes all the time.
    got myself a modded xbox with 160gb hard drive and next plan of action is to make it into a media centre for the kids bedroom
    hence backing up all their dvds onto the xbox
    so no more dvds without case and sticy ones.
    so yesterday i installed dvd2xbox and tried csi on the xbox what came out was very patchy and blocky and basically not viewable.
    it was also in blocks not in a complete series.
    i ftp 'd prison break from a backup on the pc and this came out perfect.
    my questions are if anyone could help me please are
    1.what went wrong with dvd2xbox?

2.how could i have got them all in a series?

3.prison break was an avi file is this ok or are there better and smaller files i could do?

4.what process is the best for transfering dvds to the xbox?

5.id love to use dvd profiler to show the dvd covers on the xbmc so the kids know what to watch?

ive looked everywhere for tutorials but can't really find what i'm looking for

any help is much appreciated and thanks for the time

grateful for all the effort

i have asked this on a few forums but they keep saying to ask elsewhere?
    is the a one shop stop for advice?

i have 3 xboxes al modded i was originaly going to put hdds in them but now i have read that NAS is the way to go

is there anywhere where i could read tutorials about it and how to get it in place?
    just been reading some of your posts and quite a few on here have NAS's

any help is apreciated many thanks

2. bigjb

bigjb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
  3. hackenz

hackenz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1. If it was an original DVD, then DVD2Xbox does not remove macrovision, hence the blocky video. DVD2xbox is primarily for "backing up" games. FTP is the way to go.

2. As above.

3. Avi files are fine, Divx, Xvid & even some mid resolution MP4/MKV files will play,I have some 800Mb film rips which look great & still have AC3 audio.

4. Back up your DVD's yourself, there's 1000's of sites that will give you a tutorial & there's loads of freeware software out there.You can then FTP the resulting avi file to the Xbox.

5. In the XBMC menu you can choose to view list/icons/big icons. Any image that you have on the xbox HD (or shared folders) if its 128x128 or 256x256 can be an icon for a film as long as it's file name is the same as the avi file& it's extension is changed to tbn. For example superman.avi & superman.tbn will give an icon for the film. Try mediaicons.org

6. Just buy a biggish usb drive & stick all your films/media on it. Share the folder on the network & every Xbox can access them.

4. bviking

bviking
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    A NAS device is a good solution. There are heaps of options. Pretty much any commercially available NAS device that does not require client software to be running will be useable. (From memory there was a thread over on the xboxmediacenter.com forums about compatible devices a while back).

Depending on how much you are interested in "getting involved" in the operation of the device, however, you can obtain the same result for virtually no $$ if you have If you have a spare pc (even an old pentium II) lying around.

The cheapest way is to install linux on your spare pc but if you have a spare copy of WinXP or 2000 you could probably also use that ...

My preference is debian: have a look here: http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1005985

Good luck!