XBMC Live from an SD Flash Card?

Discussion in 'Home Entertainment Computers' started by PerfectBlue97, Jan 9, 2012.

1. PerfectBlue97

PerfectBlue97

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Silly question, but if I boot a small form factor PC to XBMC Live from an SD Flash memory card (as opposed to running an OS like Ubuntu, and XBMC from an internal disk), will I be able to take advantage of the full capacity (RAM\CPU, ETC) of the computer?

Also, will it be faster (because there is no unnecessary stuff loaded into memory) or slower, due to the IO on the memory card reader?

Is anybody running XBMC from an SD card, do you need a special type, or will any old card do so long as it's big enough?

2. tredman

tredman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +627
    I run xbmc from a USB flash drive with no probs. there is no difference from running it from an internal hard drive, apart from the faster speeds associated with solid state storage.

Personally I also like to take the drive directly out and image it directly to make a back up

3. PerfectBlue97

PerfectBlue97

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    What kind of SD card do you use?

Would a class 4 card (4 mbps transfer rate) cut it, or do you need a high performance SDHD card?

4. tredman

tredman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +627
    I use a USB stick, not an sd card. I'm not aware of sdhd, do you mean sdhc? That's just a high capacity version card.

Tbh I used an old 4 gig stick I had lying around, always meant to swap it out for a better one, but never got round to it. It's served me well for nearly 2 years on 24/7. So can't complain really.