1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XBMC - how high (def) does it go?

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by richard plumb, Oct 19, 2005.

1. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    Anyone got a definitive list of what can be played through a modded xbox using XBMC?

Obviously I can play divxs etc, but I'd like to try some hidef stuff. I've never bothered before, but with the new TV I'd like to try.

Can it play 720p, if so, are there any restrictions? (codec, bitrate, sound format etc)

Can it play 1080i, if so, are there any restrictions?

Alternatively how good a job does it do in scaling if I play back 'normal' video but have the dash set to 720p/1080i? Does it prefer one or the other (720p/1080i)? big difference compared to 'real' HD, or to a good TVs own scaler/deinterlacer?

I'm pretty much moving to the xbox being only for XBMC, so I don't care about implications for games etc

2. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    The Xbox really isn't up to hidef. The visualisations work OK in 720P and while XBMC will play wmvhd in 720P the frame rate is something like .5 frames per second.

You can try looking at some of the divx-hd, these play with just occasional stutters, try http://www.divx.com/

On the bright side the XBMC menus look nice in 720P !

You're best bet is to head over to www.xbox-scene.com

Hope that helps

Slingshot

P.S. Try it but I find XBMC scaling pretty bad, IMO it doesn't play movies well (I know everyone will disagree) but my Pioneer DVD player is way better.

3. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Agreed, kind-of :)

It does have some small issues/bugs as a DVD player (XBMC) but, to cut it some slack, it is written by a bunch of geeks at home (no offence to the geeks, great work!) and is just coming out of Beta. I can happily play DVD's but, occasionaly I will have issues using menus of a DVD. For example, I just bought some dvd's where the default language is German, if I try to change "Bowling for Columbine" to English, it locks up. As said though, these issues are rare.

Although dedicated DVD players are better, they do not do all an XBMC will do and this is why it wins the battle for my tv/projector space :)

4. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Sorry didn't mean to sound like I was slagging off XBMC, it's probably my most used bit of kit, I think it's awsome. However if people aren't interested in any of it's many other features i.e. music, weather, scripts film trailers and so on then a dedicated DVD player will be a better bet.

It's not the features that are the problem for me, it's just the whole image from an xbox seems soft, I think it's the xbox itself rather than XBMC. To be honest I prefer the look of my PS2 for playing movies than the Xbox.

Slingshot

5. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Didn't think you were slagging it off at all! I thought you were being totaly fair :thumbsup:

People need a true impression of things from us that have used it or they could end up wasting money on our overhyped recommendations and that would not be fair. Too many people would of just said its great and tried to sell it as the ultimate dvd player, its not, its maybe the ultimate (at the moment) dvd toy though?

You were absoloutley correct in your summary of it compared to a DVD player imho. Its maybe a 5 or 6 out of 10 for DVD playing so a dedicated DVD player is better.

More honest opinions are what these boards need.
    :)

6. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    so being completely honest, would it be better just to keep with standard SD interlaced output, and let the TV scale to its native resolution? and stick with SD Divx / DVD so no hiccups?

I was considering eg TV shows in 720p (maybe TS format?), but you'd recommend against this?

7. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,034
    The best divx format files are the 960x520 DD5.1 ones you can get of the US TV shows, they are great quality and XBMC plays them without a problem. 1280x720 divx files will play but you may get the odd stutter here and there. I'd still set the dash to 720p myself.

8. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    cheers zAndy. I'm currently keeping an eye on the 960x540 ones. Will get component leads and set to 720p - where is a good place to get the official MS hidef leads from? I had a bad experience with some 3rd party ones

9. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Whats the deal with this? I have set my bios to NTSC and also set 720 as well, does this mean that my hidef compatible display device is now showing XBMC in hidef by default? I've not found anything inside XBMC itself to tell IT to go HiDef

:confused:

10. ant73

ant73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You need the (US) HD Cables, and the NTSC bios before you get the option (in Dashboard) to turn on the HD resolutions.

11. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    got and done (see above).

So, back to my original question.

does this mean that my hidef compatible display device is now showing XBMC in hidef by default? I've not found anything inside XBMC itself to tell IT to go HiDef.

(XBMC is setup to be my dash)

12. ant73

ant73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry.

There will be an option to set the GUI res to 720p or 1080i - then in the My Video options set the "upscale to Gui resolution" option to Yes.

13. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Kewl cheers.

Haven't noticed this option before but, I shall have another snoop tonight. Thanks for the info.

14. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    for 960x540 vids, is it best to set it to 1080i? the TV will do some scaling anyway, but wouldn't that be the cleanest output from the xbox?