XBMC HD etc questions

Calzor Suzay

Long story short,
Bought an XBOX ages ago, chipped it myself, added another HDD, played it a bit, toyed with XBMC as it was, moved onto other stuff and left it in the cupboard, back to the present...

Recently bought a 50" 720P tv so I'd like to hook the xbox back up for downloaded movies, access to my MP3s and maybe some of those daft party games when your mates are around and drunk, I'm getting on a bit to be sat in front of it all day gaming away :rotfl:

Can the xbox chuck out a 720P HD picture?
What's the best way to connect it to the TV, I have either component or VGA and would like to make use of optical sound to my amp. I may buy a Wii in the future which will take the component connection up so is vga HD compatible and does a cable exist that will give me VGA and optical?

Does any software exist that can rip a DVD (Film) straight to the HDD on the fly?

Is a wireless adapter for the xbox good enough to stream films from my PC to it to watch on the tv?

Intya

Novice Member
XBMC chucks out a very nice 720p picture for upscaling films & DVDs, but you'll need a component cable to do it, which are becoming harder to find now. Avoid the cheapy ones, try and get a hold of the official one, probably around £25 on fleabay at the moment.

You can get VGA cables for the xbox, but that's a little more complex, you're better off getting some cheapy 2-1 phono adaptors from Maplins and plugging both component cables into the TV.

Google dvd2xbox, that'll do what you're asking. And a standard 802.11g wireless adaptor is fine for streaming DVDs over a network, cos I do it and it works perfectly. :thumbsup:

Kebabhead

Novice Member
Long story short,
Bought an XBOX ages ago, chipped it myself, added another HDD, played it a bit, toyed with XBMC as it was, moved onto other stuff and left it in the cupboard, back to the present...

Recently bought a 50" 720P tv so I'd like to hook the xbox back up for downloaded movies, access to my MP3s and maybe some of those daft party games when your mates are around and drunk, I'm getting on a bit to be sat in front of it all day gaming away :rotfl:

Can the xbox chuck out a 720P HD picture?
What's the best way to connect it to the TV, I have either component or VGA and would like to make use of optical sound to my amp. I may buy a Wii in the future which will take the component connection up so is vga HD compatible and does a cable exist that will give me VGA and optical?

Does any software exist that can rip a DVD (Film) straight to the HDD on the fly?

Is a wireless adapter for the xbox good enough to stream films from my PC to it to watch on the tv?
You need something like this but you will need to buy the necessary component cables

As with regards to copying films to the HDD the best way is it to FTP from your PC straight to your Xbox. You can either do this via wireless router or Cat5e crossover cable which you can get real cheap off ebay. You'll need FlashFXP as well

John

Would DVD2Xbox not be an option ?

Kebabhead

Novice Member
Would DVD2Xbox not be an option ?
If your're DL stuff off the web then no

Only thing with DVD2Xbox is it dumps everything in the games folder. You then have to go into file manager section and transfer it to the XBMC Video folder

John

If your're DL stuff off the web then no

Only thing with DVD2Xbox is it dumps everything in the games folder. You then have to go into file manager section and transfer it to the XBMC Video folder
Ah yes, forgot he was talking about pirated movied :D although I'm sure with DVD2Xbox you can select a destination folder

GingerMagic

Novice Member
Just FYI...

The xbox will only output 720p in ntsc mode. If you have a pal xbox you'll need a little program to swap the bios over to ntsc mode. Can't remember what it's called but google it and have a look.

calibos

XBMC has probably come a long way since you last saw it!! And I'm just using the bog standard Project Mayhem 3 skin here.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom