XBL... am I in breech of contract?

scary

Established Member
Reaction score
Guys,

Just had an interesting conversation with an XBL Support agent.

Let me give you some backgound to my issue. I signed up for XBL last February (2004)... was enjoying it up until October of last year, then I moved to a non-broadband enabled area. I havent been able to play on XBL since. However, Ive just recently learned that BB will be enabled in August. I was reading on Xbox.com (after the power cord recall) that XBL will auto-renew your account, and debit my credit card :eek: (I bought an starter kit scratch card doo-dah first time round)! This was obviously due for renewal last month (Feb). I thought I would call XBL support this morning to check the status of my account. I got thru to a Scandanavian chap who was really unhelpful in authenticating me and had a generally anal attitude. After a kerfuffle, he told me that my credit card expired Nov' 04.... and M$ were not able to charge my credit card last month. He then told me that I had to pay and requested new card details... I said that this was fine, but could I leave it until August (after all, whats the point in me paying for a service Im not going to use?). He said no, I must pay now :nono: ! I told him that I would call up again in August and renew and if I lost my gamer ID then sobeit. He again insisted that I must pay now. I told him goodbye and hung-up the phone...

Where do I stand? I certainly didnt get any notification (email) that I was going ot be charged again.... I cant find the original contract and cant see anything in the T&Cs on the XBL account on my XB.

Thanks,

Mark

Not knowing about legal jargon etc i can only say that when you originally signed up to Live with your 12month sub card one of the terms was that you agreed to pay either £4.99p/m or £39.99 at the end of you 12 month sub, unless you cancelled your subscription at the end of the 12 months, which you didn't. But i guess if you just ring up and canel now you might get away with it.

Surely if you don't pay then they should just cancel your account. Then again this is M$ we're talking about here.

gthom3 said:
Surely if you don't pay then they should just cancel your account. Then again this is M$ we're talking about here.

Unless you explicitly cancel, the account is auto-renewed. Not too sure what happens if the card has expired though.

Best bet for the OP is to just officially cancel it, then when he gets broadband a few months down the line he should start a new account. The best way to do that is with a starter pack where he could get a 2 month trial, plus 12 months, plus new headset plus game. You can't keep the gamertag that way though.

Gav

all will happen is u will get 3 emails from MS saying theyve tried getting money and cc declined due to expired card, the 3rd email will say that the user name has been suspended and thats that, just sign up again in august with new name.

exact same happened with mine, mind u i did go into dashboard and doctor my expirey date to make sure they could charge me when i had a broadban break a while ago.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom