1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XBconnect - begginer's guide to setting up

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by john87, Apr 15, 2003.

1. john87

john87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will start this off, then we can all correct any errors or things that are unclear, or important missing information, then make it sticky (?).

:lesson: I believe XBConnect is a superior option over Gamespy. I think this is accepted by most people who have tried both.

First and foremost, what you need:
    1) Broadband internet access
    2) PC and Xbox :clown:
    3) An Xbox game capable of system linking (I'm sure 99% of Xbox owners have Halo. Also note that most other system link games are rarely played, and using XbConnect without Halo is not worth it IMO.)
    4) A network read below for options on types of networks you can setup in your home with relative ease. (including all hardware needed for this such as ethernet cable and hubs/routers etc.)

You've got broadband access, an XBox, a PC, Halo? Excellent, now it is time to setup a home network - a LAN....

[Itions for setting up networks for XbConnect:[/I]
    1) Using a Hub or Switch
    [​IMG]
    This is the most common network configuration for using XBConnect and is also the easiest to setup.
    I would suggest using a hub if you have one PC in your home and want a cheap and simple option.
    Step 1: Plug your network cable(RJ-45 cable) that comes from your modem into the uplink port of your hub. (Make sure that your uplink is switched to "on").
    Step 2: Take an RJ-45 cable and run it from one of the ports of the hub, directly to the Network Interface Card (NIC) installed in your computer.
    Step 3: Take another RJ-45 cable and run it from a different port of your hub directly to your xbox.
    NOTE: A switch may be used in place of a hub with the same basic setup.

2) Using a Router
    [​IMG]
    This is another common network configuration for using XBConnect.
    This is the best option if you want to have two computers using broadband in your home.
    Step 1: Plug your network cable(RJ-45 cable) that comes from your modem into the WAN port of your router.
    Step 2: Take an RJ-45 cable and run it from one of the ports of the router, directly to the Network Interface Card (NIC) installed in your computer.
    Step 3: Take another RJ-45 cable and run it from a different port of your router directly to your xbox.
    There are some problems involved using a router on Xbconnect, but don't worry, they are easily solved. Don't let this put you off using a router for your network. Read below on how to solve these problems.
    Additional Router software setup can be found here:
    Router Configurations

3) Using two network cards in one computer
    [​IMG]
    This is a more advanced setup. Recommended for users who are already familiar with networking.
    Step 1: Plug your network cable(RJ-45 cable) that comes from your modem into first NIC card on your PC.
    Step 2: Take a "Crossover Cable" and run it from the second NIC card on your PC, directly to your Xbox.

4) Using a USB connection from cable modem and network card in PC to Xbox
    [​IMG]
    This is the last network configuration for using XBConnect. For this setup you need at least one NIC card.
    Step 1: Plug your USB cable that comes from your modem into your PC's USB port. This should already be done, if you have a usb modem for your current internet connection.
    Step 2: Take an RJ-45 cable and run it from an installed NIC card on your PC, directly to the Xbox.

Once you have setup your network, go to www.xbconnect.com and download the XBConnect software for free. From here you should be able to get going but I will try and clear up any issues that may arise...
    When you first download the software, install it then go to your Xbox and on Halo, go first to the Multiplayer menu, then to System Link.
    After choosing your player you will be on a screen that will flash the words "searching for games," or something very similair. Now go back to your PC and register a free account. The XBConnect software will then search for your Xbox and hopefully should find it within seconds. You will be ready to start a game.

When looking for your first game, take these details into account:
    If you are in europe (nearly everyone here,) click the option to view PAL only games. For those in America, NTSC. (This may sound obvious, but I have been in many a game where someone with an NTSC conncetion has tryed to play with us.)
    Look for games with a ping below 200 or so. Games with a red cross by them are full, so obviously don't try and join them :)
    Don't join games with "***" as their pings - these are usually games where the host does not have his connection set up properly.
    If every game you see has "***" this means you are not set up properly and you will have to troubleshoot your network.

When you are in a game the host will set up on his Xbox and the game will appear on your Xbox's screen. Join it, and when the host starts the game,
    Do not press "a" on the pad to speed up the count. This causes lag in games over XBConnect 90% of the time. If someone starts to rush the time press "x" to delay the game and try telling them to stop.

*Unfinished - FAQ to be written along with troubleshooting network problems and network setup to be written in more detail*

2. mikeq

mikeq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent guide john87.

Here is an addition:

On the router setup, which is what I have, you need to go to the port forwarding setup for your router.

On the Draytek 2600We this is through a browser to the internal IP of the router (192.168.1.1 as default). You need to point both TCP and UDP ports 8602 to the PC running the XBConnect software.

So if the PC running XBConnect is 192.168.1.10 then the router should forward ports 8602 to 192.168.1.10:8602.

If your PC are assigned IP by the router(DHCP) then your XBConnect PC may not always get the same IP, you can usually force the router to give a certain MAC (the actual hardware address of the Network Interface Card) the same IP.

On my router (Draytek 2600We) in a telnet session I can type

srv dhcp fixip add <IP Address> <MAC Addr> <HostID>

This will be written to the routers config file and will always assign the same IP to that MAC. Check the help for your router.

To delete an assignment from telnet session

srv dhcp fixip del 192.168.1.123

3. mr chadwick

mr chadwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my xbox live is set up via usb modem/network card.works fine.so i download xbconnect,double click on the icon.then crash,my pc restarts itself.any advice?

4. mikeq

mikeq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is this when trying to install the software? Have you made sure your PC complies with the requirements?

Mike

5. mikeq

mikeq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Went home for lunch and delivery of my Linksys wireless/ethernet bridge (WET11) arrived.

Good news all setup in 30 minutes and XBox Live working with it.

Okay how did I do it,

Plugged the bridge into a free port on my router (Draytek 2600We) with the supplied cable, set the switch on the rear of the bridge to 'II' setting and connected the power supply to the bridge. At this point the port light on the router became orange (why, I don't know as the lights are usually yellow) but this appears to be okay.

Put the supplied CD into a PC on the same network and started the wizard. Follow the on-screen prompts.

The software should find the bridge and any other bridge on the network, click on the name of the one you want to configure.

The only part that confused me slightly was picking 'Infrastructure Mode' or 'Ad-hoc Mode', I picked 'Infrastructure Mode' as the router is a wireless router and I suppose it could be called an Access Point. On the next part you set the SSID for the wireless network but you cannot change the Channel, as it is in 'Infrastructure Mode', but it says it will set the Channel automatically. In the on-screen box was '11' but my wireless network was on channel 6 but I thought it would detect this and change it, however it didn't so I had to reconfigure my routers wireless channel to be 11.

I set the bridge to use the DHCP of the router and did not enable WEP initially to get things working.

Confirm your changes, exit the wizard and unplug the bridge from the router and the power.

Reboot the router and plug the bridge into the XBox and flick the switch on the back of the bridge to 'X', power up the bridge and turn on the XBox, everything should work.

Will try XBConnect tonight.

6. BigTone

BigTone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +953
    My configuration for XBconnect.

USB modem
    PC NIC connect to HUB
    (other pc's connect to hub)
    Ran ethernet cable from XBox into Hub
    Thats it :)

Running MS-XP pro.

Tone

7. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I use a laptop in my game room to temporatily connect my x-box to my wireless lan/broadand when playing.

It's bizarre that it works, but it does and didn't cost me a penny more! It's simpler to set-up than the site makes out.

The Win2000 Pro laptop has a 10/100 lan ethernet port, plus the Netgear pcmcia wireless card. This talks to a netgear me102 access point and a rp114 router (inc websafe firewall).

This is sort of a dual network card type set-up, which the site mentions is only for experts, but I haven't had to use any additional winroute software like the sites mention.

So, really the laptop is acting like the WET11 wireless bridge, but not costing the £95! From BigTone's post, it sounds like WinXP does' this too.

Steps:
    1. Take laptop down to x-box room. Plug in it to the mains, so no power saving kicks in later.

2. Open xbconnect on laptop and log in. This connects via wireless broadband and shows me the host list and ping times.

3. Plug-in the ethernet cable from the x-box. BTW, I use a spare switch hub I had and a straight cable, but I'm sure a crossover cable from the x-box to laptop would work just as well.

4. Join a host x-box from the list, say hello in the chat to be polite and then choose multiplayer system link game on the x-box and voila I can connect! I've played joining a few server over a few hours with no problems and about 70-90ms ping times.

Note: If the x-box cable is plugged-in before opening xbconnect, then the wireless broadband connection won't work. I think this is because the laptop will at that point have two tcp/ip networks which confuses windows routing and I think it also confuses dns name resolutino lookups. But, if it's already connected and online with xbconnect, then this doesn't seem to ever matter.

Again, from BigTone's post, it sounds like WinXP doesn't get affected by such routing confusion and the above cateat may not apply.

5. For optionally hosting games myself, I then also changed the wireless adapter TCP/IP settings to a fixed 192.168.0.2 IP lan address (not DHCP from the router) and also followed the xbconnect site's instructions to set the firewall's advanced, ports page to allow port 8602 to go straight to 192.168.0.2. I hosted a custom Sidewinder slayer game with all vehicles enabled last night, which was fun.

8. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    All the forum members who use XBconnect should meet up I reckon. Whos got a 1 meg line ?

I am only on 600k NTL and unfortunately have problems hosting at the moment. We could get a bit of an Avforums Clan thing going :devil:

9. mikeq

mikeq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay tried this last night,

XBox through WET11 ethernet/wireless bridge and laptop with built in wireless card running XBConnect all going through a wireless ADSL router.

Could log into XBConnect okay, could see all servers, could click join game both the XBox Traffic light and the Internet Traffic light were blinking away but the XBox could not find any games. Spend many hours trying to sort this, went to the help, forums etc etc tried all the deleting .ini stuff, checking that the WetMac= was pointing at the WET11 MAC address (all the relevant ports are open on the router) but nothing was happening.

So did a Remote Desktop connection (basically remote controlling the wired PC) to one of my wired PCs, making sure I redirected the router ports to that IP, fired up XBConnect on the wired PC and hey presto XBox found the games. So now totally wireless, no cables running anywhere downstairs:D

So XBox to wireless router and laptop(running XBConnect) to wireless router does NOT work.

Mike

10. mikeq

mikeq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got a 512k line here, but it would be good to get a Clan thing going, but be warned I am totally pants at Halo.

Was playing last night with 2 people, they were on the same XBox they just kept destroying me (they were of course on the same team), thing is they seemed to have loads of weapons, invisibility stuff etc I was totally out gunned. do you think they maybe had some cheats? if so were the **** can I get them. I just gave up shooting back or trying to run, but I'm sure they enjoyed themselves:rolleyes:

11. BigTone

BigTone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +953
    How do you know what line connection you have?
    Here in Hull we have a non BT telephone service, and a local ISP Karoo, we only seem to have one falvour of connection.

Tone

12. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Not with me coaching you mate. I have some really good tactics for a couple of maps. Shame my friend has just gone off to tour Australia he was pretty good.

My advice stick to one level to start with and I would make that level Blood Glutch. Lots of places to hide and ambush. It is a great leveler as well if you are playing against good people.

Always good to have all the vehicles. Very difficult to defend against when you know how to drive them. You wont believe the number of people I have run over in the jeep.

It is good when you start out to host. Then people are playing on your terms you set the rules. No point in playing experienced people when they host you are on there turf.

13. john87

john87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can see it now...
    {AVF}B1ot
    {AVF}harrisuk
    {AVF}mikeq

Heheh..

14. mikeq

mikeq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you talking ADSL BigTone, I can tell by querying my router, what equipment do you have? are you connected through Karoo. I believe ADSL requires a BT line. Do you have cable broadband?

15. john87

john87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mikeq, get your arse onto XBConnect :p :clown:

16. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    That would be cool........ I need to get my fire wall sorted so I can host again. My network is so secure I cant get even get out of it !

I think it is something to do with ping. I am blocking ping at the moment, I think Xbconnect needs it to "Keep alive" connections in periods of inactivity.

17. john87

john87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  18. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Anyone know more about routers than me ? Anyone who can host on xbconnect and uses a router let me know what you have your settings for the following (Obviously either Deny or Allow)

Response to Ping from WAN
    Web Management from WAN
    Block Client in LAN Disable
    Filter Packets from LAN
    URL Blocking
    Virtual Server
    DMZ All inbound packet from WAN is sent to specific LAN IP
    Auto 2Way Applications When trigger port received a packet from one PC in LAN,then those incoming port are opened for that PC

It used to work. I tinkered with this at some point and locked out people when I try to host. I can still join games and play just cant host. I know most of these have nothing to do with it just included for completeness.

19. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Thanks you got there before my second post ! Think I have found it. I dont have any of those routers. Put I think I know what it is on mine Auto 2Way Applications :

"When trigger port received a packet from one PC in LAN,
    then those incoming port are opened for that PC"

Sounds right. Listed under Forwarding for the Link Sys router.

I have done it so I think it will work now. I will try it out either tommorow night or Friday.

20. john87

john87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent, good luck - I hope it works... I'm itching to play someone from here on Halo :) :clap:

21. mikeq

mikeq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John87 missed your post last night, or I would have gone on. did think about it but just watched telly instead.

Will probably go on tonight.

harrisuk you have to open up/forward ports 8602 on both UPD and TCP. I forward them to the PC running XBConnect, so my routers external IP forwards any port 8602 requests to 192.168.1.10:8602 (which is the PC on my LAN)

"When trigger port received a packet from one PC in LAN,
    then those incoming port are opened for that PC"
    If a PC makes a request out on that port this means that the router knows where to send the reply to, if an unsolicited request comes in on that port and no port forwarding rules are setup the router doesn't know where to send it and rejects it(as it should be).

Mike

22. BigTone

BigTone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +953
    Just for fun I'll be hosting Halo over the holiday weekend. Look for BigTone and I'll put AV forums in the title.

FYI only had an X-Box since Sunday and not even finished Halo yet, but beer and multiplay are an ideal combination.

Tone

23. mikeq

mikeq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just took a total hammering from John87 (B1ot), tomorrow night what about an AVForums team thing. Somebody good on my side please :)

24. john87

john87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice to see you on there mike.. hopefully a few AV forum games will be played soon :)

25. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Yes I will meet up tommorow night. Footy in the afternoon then Halo blood bath in the evening :mad: I am hopeful I can now host again after some tinkering with my router which is a bonus.

26. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Well last night my wife afked to play split-screen Halo, so we spent a few hours playing the Blood Gulch map. What a woman!

The says she wants more practice before playing on-line.

However, dear diary...
    I'm not sure how I feel about being part of a husband and wife team!!!!

regards,
    {avf}Fluff100

27. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Lucky so and so. My mrs wont touch any of the gaming kit. I think the only thing I ever got her intersted in was Crazy Taxi on the DC and that was only for a couple of hours.

28. john87

john87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What a woman indeed. Lets get some matches going soon :)

Friday night (tonight) okay for anyone?

29. mikeq

mikeq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, what about 10pm ish

30. john87

john87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just saw this post at 11:30... damn, I left XBConnect at 10:00 on the dot :thumbsdow

I'll go see if you are still on now.. I guess not, see you tommorow probably... it would have been class because I have 2 xboxes running on it and a mate is round... he will be here tommorow as well though so hopefully I'll catch you then.