X950H vs x800m2 (upscaling questions)

Gino48

Standard Member
Hello folks, hope everyone's having fun at home. 😋

I picked up a 65 inch Sony x950h and a x800m2 4k player for the new year. Enjoying both very much.
The TV has an outstanding picture.

My question to you guys is, am I better off letting the TV upscale a 1080p BluRay disc or am I better off choosing auto 2 and having the player upscale to 4K?

If I turn upscaling off on the player, my TV will upscale the image to 1080p, 24p, 4:4:4 10 or 12 bit. The original source says 1080p at 4:2:0 and 8 bit.

Is this the best picture I'm going to get or should I let my player do the upscaling to 4K using auto 2 option?

if I use the 4K player to upscale, will it introduce artifacts or anything distracting to the original image? I like it to be close to reference as possible meaning I have no soap opera effect on and most enhancements are turned off.

I'm just wondering if I should let the TV do the upscale since it has the X1 ultimate chip....but the other part of me says maybe upscaling to 4K would be better.....your input is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks.

Morden

Hello folks, hope everyone's having fun at home. 😋

I picked up a 65 inch Sony x950h and a x800m2 4k player for the new year. Enjoying both very much.
The TV has an outstanding picture.

My question to you guys is, am I better off letting the TV upscale a 1080p BluRay disc or am I better off choosing auto 2 and having the player upscale to 4K?

If I turn upscaling off on the player, my TV will upscale the image to 1080p, 24p, 4:4:4 10 or 12 bit. The original source says 1080p at 4:2:0 and 8 bit.

Is this the best picture I'm going to get or should I let my player do the upscaling to 4K using auto 2 option?

if I use the 4K player to upscale, will it introduce artifacts or anything distracting to the original image? I like it to be close to reference as possible meaning I have no soap opera effect on and most enhancements are turned off.

I'm just wondering if I should let the TV do the upscale since it has the X1 ultimate chip....but the other part of me says maybe upscaling to 4K would be better.....your input is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks.

I have a panny ub820 connected to a my xg9505 and i find the player upscales well.

You could try both and see which looks best.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom