X900F brightness

md123456

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I bought the x900f. When watching in a dark room the tv is much too bright . You need sunblock. The recommended settings on some websites are to turn down the brightness to 1 (=100 nits). I was wondering, what is the point on buying a high nits tv (=1000) if you can’t use it? The TV comes highly recommended to watch movies in a dark room. And that is why I bought it. So now I have to watch movies with brightness 1 (100 nits). So why investing in an expensive high nits tv if you can’t use it? A cheaper low nits TV could do the same thing… In HDR it gets VERY bright. Brightness changes automatically to the highest setting .And the lightsensor doesn’t work in HDR mode. So again I need sunglasses ! Think I am going to return it since it makes no sense to pay for high nits you won;t be able to use. Or am I missing something? TV should be recommended to watch in bright room. Or am I missing something here?

Hi all, I bought the x900f. When watching in a dark room the tv is much too bright . You need sunblock. The recommended settings on some websites are to turn down the brightness to 1 (=100 nits). I was wondering, what is the point on buying a high nits tv (=1000) if you can’t use it? The TV comes highly recommended to watch movies in a dark room. And that is why I bought it. So now I have to watch movies with brightness 1 (100 nits). So why investing in an expensive high nits tv if you can’t use it? A cheaper low nits TV could do the same thing… In HDR it gets VERY bright. Brightness changes automatically to the highest setting .And the lightsensor doesn’t work in HDR mode. So again I need sunglasses ! Think I am going to return it since it makes no sense to pay for high nits you won;t be able to use. Or am I missing something? TV should be recommended to watch in bright room. Or am I missing something here?

As an XF9005 owner this makes no sense to me. You can alter the settings for every form of source material and unless you do a factory reset your television should save and hold these settings indefinitely. I have my set in a very bright room so use brightness around 20-25 for most viewing sources, even in a dark room at night. Just have a play around but I've never seen a recommendation to turn the brightness to 1. As for a cheap television producing good HDR, that is incorrect, you'll just have poor HDR, although you are correct that cheaper sets are getting brighter.

Thank you for your reply. The setting, brightness to 1, comes from rtings. My point is why paying for a 1000nits and watch in 100nits or 300nits. I watch movies in the evening like a normal human being. So what's the fuss about the 1000 nits. Or is this tv capable of producing his 1000 nits when needed in small details even with brightness setting to 1 or 5,6,7 ?

rtings: For a dark room, we set the TV 'Brightness' to 1, which gave us a luminosity of about 100 cd/m². This should be good for most dark rooms and home theaters. If the TV is still too bright, you can lower the 'Brightness' to minimum, but beyond that, you will have to go to the 'Motion' tab, set 'Motionflow' to 'Custom', and set the 'Clearness' slider to a higher value to engage the black frame insertion feature, which will lower considerably the TV luminance.
For a room with an average lighting, we set the TV 'Brightness' to 9, which gave us a luminosity of about 200 cd/m². This should be good for most average rooms with some light, during the day. Once again, you can adjust it a bit more to accommodate your room.

Last edited:
I have Gamma - 2 and brightness at 30, perfect for darkrooms.

I got a message from Adam at Rtings and things cleared up. On SDR you can play with the brightness and on HDR the TV does it for you. It will use a 1000 nits for exposions and so on and wil dimm for normal content.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom