• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

X900 v X950 series - key differences?

Dazza Cole

Looking to choose between these 2 series. But wondering what the downgrade is to the 900? I’ve seen statements like “HDR”, but as I see it the 900 still has DV so will have the dynamic HDR. As a keen gamer and movie watcher keys for me are motion, response/lag, as well as obviously a great picture quality. The HDMI 2.1 element is definitely on my mind as I plan on both PS5 and XB series X. So the balance in my mind is potentially losing benefits of 2.1 in a year or two, but what is the downgrade to the 900? Thanks in advance for input!

LCDseeker

Distinguished Member
Looking to choose between these 2 series. But wondering what the downgrade is to the 900? I’ve seen statements like “HDR”, but as I see it the 900 still has DV so will have the dynamic HDR. As a keen gamer and movie watcher keys for me are motion, response/lag, as well as obviously a great picture quality. The HDMI 2.1 element is definitely on my mind as I plan on both PS5 and XB series X. So the balance in my mind is potentially losing benefits of 2.1 in a year or two, but what is the downgrade to the 900? Thanks in advance for input!

Yes the main difference is the XH9005 can't get as bright as the XH95, probably 300-400 nits difference which is quite significant if you want true HDR performance. Plus the XH95 has better processing tech on board but it's fine margins and I've only read good reviews from owners on this forum for the XH9005. If you're not a pc/pro gamer then I wouldn't worry too much about 2.1 buy if it's a deal breaker then it rules out the XH95.

don320

To put the difference into pc & laptop terms, the XH90 has on board graphics, the XH95 has a separate graphics card.
So although the on board graphics are good, they'll never match having a separate card.

Dazza Cole

Thanks guys. The main part about 2.1 I see having an immediate effect is the VRR tech. Just can’t believe Sony didn’t include this on the flagship set. Going to look at the LG CX instead, I can’t shrug the feeling that I’d suffer from buyers remorse with either of these sets

StefanBFC

Thanks guys. The main part about 2.1 I see having an immediate effect is the VRR tech. Just can’t believe Sony didn’t include this on the flagship set. Going to look at the LG CX instead, I can’t shrug the feeling that I’d suffer from buyers remorse with either of these sets

Completely agree, I've told myself I'm going to wait a year now. Probably the best option to be honest.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom