X800 Pro to X800 XTPE mod

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by CENSORED, Aug 28, 2004.

1. CENSORED

CENSORED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Grabbed myself a Sapphire X800 Pro VIVO this morning and replaced my 9800XT. Backed up the cards bios and went straight for the softmod. Unlocked the remaining four pipelines with the Gigabyte X800 XT bios and got 520 core and 560 (1120) mem with no issues at all. I believe heat can be a problem when modding these cards so I took the precaution of winding back core and mem to 500 and 550 respectively, I think an arctic cooler may be in order here.

Anyway, Doom 3 timedemo runs at 56 fps @ 1280 x 1024, and 48 fps @ 1600 x 1200. I urge anyone with an X800 Pro VIVO and 1.6ns memory to give this a whirl. Must be a VIVO though, doesn't work with plain vanilla X800 Pro.

2. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    your hardcore dude! I would never have thought u could unlock those other 4 pipes! I didnt think they would be in there, after all how is having them locked making the card cheaper to produce??

I actually bought a 6800GT (BFG) which came in at 370mhz clock and 1.00mhz memory.
    I clocked up the core to reach 400mhz, which is equal to the 6800 Ultra. im still going up and currently @ 410mhz! memory is maxed out @ 1.10mhz!
    With the NVidia cards, all the pipes are there to begin with so no need for unlocking any pipes! (main reason i went with the NVidia card instead of X800.)
    I was previously using a 9800pro 256.

3. CENSORED

CENSORED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From what I can make out from reading the various forums it seems that the VIVO core is basically the XT core. Rather than having the four 'lost' pipes laser cut as on others cards in the X*** range they appear to be disabled in the Pro VIVO bios hence being able to 'resurrect' them by loading up the Gigabyte XT bios. Some guys are even getting 16 pipelines out of the box with Gigabyte and the odd Sapphire card, weird eh? The mod doesn't always work as some cards have damaged pipes which means they will never be enabled, and poor luck also plays a part but overall the success rate appears to be very high indeed.

Cooling needs to be kept an eye on but many are having great success with the Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer which has the added benefit of being very quiet too. Downside is that it takes up two slots, upside is that it should get me bang on XTPE clocks.

4. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +337
    Censored,

I did the soft-mod to my X800 pro VIVO (powercolor) and it worked flawlessly. I used the gigabyte BIOS to unlock the extra pipes, and then flashed the retail XT PE bios as I heard this gives the core an extra 0.2v. Anyway, the good news is that the card is awesome. I run it at 540Mhz core and 580Mhz mem 24/7 with zero stability issues. I heard that DDR3 memory runs quite cool, and so it doesn't need any extra cooling, and I use a Danger Den Maze 4 waterblock on the GPU to keep it cool (How does 36 degrees load sound?)

Overclockers are now selling pre-modded VIVO's for people that don't want to risk doing it themselves.

Cheers

Rob

5. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +430
    I had it running at as X800XT PE with stock cooler no probs - but stuck an artic cooler on and ram sinks just to be safe - don't want to ruin a £300 + card for the sake of a few quid on extra cooling ;)

with stock cooling it only went up to 75 degrees C at full load - well within the spec @ XTPE speeds.

Idles @ about 40

...... well impressed with the performance

6. CENSORED

CENSORED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    EG,

Which arctic cooler did you use? I believe that a version 3 is required but how can you tell? I have one of these coolers that I bought from PCWorld for £9.99 late last year (cheap for that place) but I'm not sure if it will fit the X800 board.

7. CENSORED

CENSORED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just one other thing. I've played Doom 3 at XTPE core and mem clocks without a single problem, no lockups and no artefacts. If I run Aquamark I will get a lockup once in about three runs of the benchmark (66425). 3DMark03 locks up on the sound test would you believe but still gives me a benchmark (12585). If I wind back the core to 500 all benches run without a hitch so I think cooling or a volt mod may give me stability to hit 520 core with reliability. What is most amazing about this card is the memory overclock, stock is 450mHz but it will hit the XT clock of 560mHz with ease and with no dots or other corruptions. I haven't tried going beyond 560 but it appears that there is still a bit more to go on the memory. This shouldn't really come as any surprise as the Samsung 1.6ns memory is very fast but it is surprising to find it on this particular card. I'm not complaining.

8. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +430
    Funnily enough I picked mine up in PC world - it should save Rev 3 on it - fits no probs.

the stock cooler is attached with 4 screws - the artic with 2 - 1 either side of the gpu - the power connector for the fan is 2 pin on the artic - 3 pin on the card / stock - make sure you put it on the lower 2 pins looking at the card front on - ie back plate to the left.

9. CENSORED

CENSORED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    EG,

Fitted the arctic cooler OK and everything is hunky dory. Hitting XTPE speeds with no lockups or artefacts. Temps are 42 idle and 59 load. Benchmarks are only very slightly improved with 3DM03 hitting 100 extra points at 12682, Aquamark is the same as before. I get an extra half a frame running the D3 timedemo at 1600 x 1200 giving me 48.5!!! Still pretty good though.

10. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +430
    did you flash the full x800xt PE bios after the initial flash for the 16 pipelines ?
    afaik - you do the initial flash ..... then flash it back to x800pro ...... then flash to a proper retail x800xt PE bios.

Sticking some ram sinks on may help stability for pushing the clock up.
    Bare in mind though - that alot of the benchmarks are going to be CPU limited - ie your processor will bottle neck the GFX card.

11. CENSORED

CENSORED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    EG,

Flashed the Gigabyte bios to enable the additional four pipes then flashed back to my saved X800 Pro bios. I've tried several XTPE bioses and settled on the Sapphire bios and the Redline oc software. As I mentioned, memory clocks are completely mad, there are no dots or flashing textures when benching. I dare say there is more to come but the difference to my current benches will probably be only slight. I'm getting XTPE clocks and that is good enough for me.

I hear what you are saying about the cpu bottleneck, processors with large cahes such as the top P4's and the Athlon 64 seem to be the way to go for draining every last ounce of performance out of these cards. That's an expense I'm not quite ready for just yet.

12. samhain

samhain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    I did the same with my Connect 3d Vivo XT800 Pro and works flawlessly. I am not using anything other than the stock cooling.

How can I check the frame rate in Doom 3 ?

13. CENSORED

CENSORED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bring down the console and type [timedemo demo1] without the brackets and hit return. Let the first benchmark run, the framerate will appear a little disappointing but don't worry. Run it again two more times and take the average framerate of the two reruns to get your bench.

14. samhain

samhain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Thanks

Average frame rate doing as you described 67.2fps Very happy with that at 1280x1024 @32bit and High quality

15. Gliese 581c

Gliese 581c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +572
    all cards ranges are manufactured the same. e.g a 16 pipleine card will be tested to run with 16 pipes available, if it pass's then it will be shipped that way. If it fails then it will be tested with 12 pipelines and if it pass's the other 4 pipes will be disabled.

All the softmod does is re-enable these 4 pipes which is why its a hit or miss wither your card runs properly or not. Some people experience heat, graphics artifacts r corruptions or to the extreme of their card being rendered useless.

16. CENSORED

CENSORED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    aRCaM,

Yeah but some people are reporting the Gigabyte X800 Pro VIVO as coming with all 16 pipes enabled out of the box when checked with ATI Tool. Perhaps the selection process is geared more towards the GPU clock. Chips that are well inside the XTPE spec get to go on XTPE boards. Chips that are borderline get sent to the Pro VIVO production line. This would go some way to explaining the bios lockout on the VIVO chips which appears as a laser cut on non-VIVO cards. Non-VIVO X800 Pro cards cannot take the XTPE bios though there does appear to be some success bridging the laser cuts with conductive paint to enable the four pipelines, likewise with core and mem overclocks. With erratic results it has to be said. It's very much the luck of the draw.

17. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +203
    Just to give you guys an idea of how far things have come in 2 years here are my Doom3 frame rate results using my 9700pro I bought over 2 years ago.

1024x768 32bit everything on except AA = 41fps

This is just acceptable but its pushing it!!