X58 vs Sandy Bridge??? Do I need system upgrade?

theraq

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I tried to search for comparison or any post related to my question but was unable to find any info here.

So...

I am confused :confused:

I got i7 extreme processor, X58 setup and pc upgrade bug :devil:

Recently I upgraded my i7 rig and now Sandy Bridge is out :mad:. So my X58 setup is better then Sandy Bridge I mean X58 still better then Sandy Bridge?

Couple of charts on different review sites show Sandy Bridge beet i7 processors, so if that is the case why Intel just launched couple of X58 boards? also if you see their forecast chart X58 will continue till late 2011/2012.

Why?

Can anyone help me to understand this confusion.... :lease:

Thank You

PS: I know it is a fruitcake question... but :confused:

Nope. Personally if you got the upgrade bug.... I'd wait for the true i7 - X58replacement.

Not quite sure when that is coming out, but your pc will more than cope until then.

I'm only running on a 920 D0 with a 5970, and that mashes most things I throw at it (bar Crysis!). Kinda thought about the whole Sandy Bridge upgrade for a brief moment, but decided to upgrade my case and watercooling setup instead.

B

If you want a proper performance upgrade get an SSD (if you don't have one already).

agreed i have an i7 and looking to upgrade to an SSD instead on a mobo and cpu upgrade. the sandybridge in my eyes is a stop gap between the X58 and the REAL replacements. an ssd will give a better performance boost than changing to a sandybridge setup

Hi

Thanks for your replies.

Yes I already got 120GB OCZ V2E SSD drive.

My current config is

i7 980x (Extreme Edition)
Intel DX58SO2 Board (I stick to Intel because of their stable performance as per my experience)
Noctua NH-U12P Processor cooler
12GB Corsair Dominator-GT 2000 MHz ( PC3-16000 )
1 x 120GB OCZ V2E SSD
4 x Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm
2 x Samsung HD204UI Spinpoint F4 2TB Hard Drive SATA 5400rpm
Cooler Master HAF X Full tower case
XFX HD 6970 2GB GDDR5 PCI-E Graphics Card
etc. etc. :devil:

I hope this is good enough stuff and better then Sandy Bridge?

Last edited:
Sandybridge is miles better, anyway how much for the 980x :D seriously though stick with what you have as 6 to 8 core is the future:cool: no way would i swap your current setup to Sandybridge ,

BTW are you overclocking the 980x? i hope you are.

Last edited:
Sandybridge is miles better,

:confused: didn't get you... its a sarcasm or you really think SB is better...

And yes I over-clocked it but having problems with stable memory over clocking. Bit busy now to check it next week I am off (office) so will try again.

PS: Looking for blu-ray writer any help

:confused: didn't get you... its a sarcasm or you really think SB is better...

And yes I over-clocked it but having problems with stable memory over clocking. Bit busy now to check it next week I am off (office) so will try again.

PS: Looking for blu-ray writer any help

sarcasm mate :) keep your current setup you will gain nothing on upgrading to sandybridge and you will be going from 6 core down to 4 core, just wait for Lga2011 socket.
few benches here with the 980x and 2600k Intel Sandy Bridge Core i5-2500K & Core i7-2600K Processors Review

the memory issue switch all the power saving stuff off in the bios.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

your processor is already brilliant, there is no need for you to upgrade anytime soon, dont worry about it :)

Hi

No mate simple answer your rig at stock is as good as a highly overclocked Sandy Bridge. The X58 chipset also has more features when compared to the Sandybridge socket such as 16 x 16 PCI-E for Crossfire or SLI and triple channel ram to name a few.

You also won't have possible problems with your SATA controller which the current batch of Sandybridge mobo's have.

Chris

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom