X5000, X7000 or Hold on till Year End......

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by AidenL, May 1, 2016.

1. AidenL

AidenL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,419
    Hi all,

Im thinking about upgrading my projector from the X500. Im very happy with how it performs, delighted in fact, but I'm prepping for UHD.

With Summer coming, I won't use my dedicated room as much, we will use the living room downstairs more in Summer.

Im wondering therefore should I jump now and get an X5000 or X7000, or wait, as there will always be something better coming at year end. Im also torn between the X5000 and X7000 - remember fully blacked out dedicated room, so the 7000 should be better but the question is, can we see the difference and how often will the far reaches of the wide colour gamut, which the 5000 can't reach, actually be utilised?

Im realistic, and I don't think there will be a sub 10k laser native 4k with JVC contrast levels. But there might be a bulb driven 4k JVC and I might regret not waiting for it.

Just wondering what you guys think, all opinions necessary.

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  2. Hillskill

Hillskill
    Moderator/Games Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,451
    Well I'm not exactly sticking my neck out by saying "there will definitely be a better option next year". Our demo day over at Kalibrate was invaluable for me personally. I'd have no qualms about hopping on a JVC that can take a 4K signal having seen one in action. Really don't think there is any merit in trying to pursue an HDR 4K high end PJ at the moment. Maybe the TV market would have sorted it's own questions by this time next year with PJs some time after that.

Get a decent JVC that can playback UHD and just enjoy movies IMHO.

3. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,011
    From what little I've seen I don't think the increase is resolution is that important overall, but the other specs of UHD (not so much HDR) make a more visible difference, IMHO

Currently, because UHD/HDR is in an early stage, I would say stick with what you have, or go for an X5000 or X7000, so you're getting some of what's now just becoming available without paying the earth for it. Then, when UHD/HDR has settled down and is ready for prime time, it will be cheaper and maybe even true 4k.

Gary

4. AidenL

AidenL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,419
    I think the same, the 5000 is the sensible option but I worry it might not have the contrast of my 500. But the 7000 is a fair bit more expensive.

But as it would be stopgap till native 4K JVCs it might be a waste to get the 7000, but my room is blacked out and that's what it was made for......

5. AidenL

AidenL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,419
    Did you think HDR was very dark at the demo day?

6. Hillskill

Hillskill
    Moderator/Games Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,451
    I wouldn't have described it as dark no. The JVC yielded the brightest image over the Sony. I think the point of my post was really that I found HDR a definite improvement in PQ but in the grandscheme I didn't feel it was something I simply had to have. My understanding is the HDR PQ on panels is far more dramatic at this stage of the tech than on projectors. We viewed the opening scene of Sicario in SDR, HDR, 4K, 1080p on both the Sony and JVC by the end...my conclusion was simply that it's a bloody good scene of a film. So my takeaway, once you reach a certain level of quality kit, in the right environment it should all be about good content IMHO.

7. jacked

jacked

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +419
    I`m in a similar position and will be changing my projector this year for something 4K, but I am going to wait and see what is announced for release later in the year.
    I don`t expect the new models to be next-level ground breaking so I am prepared to consider the 2015/6 outgoing models instead. Depending what the new models offer it could make more sense to go for an X5000 / X7000 and get a better deal or look at ex-demo or second-hand when others do upgrade.

I have decided to include a Lumagen Radiance Pro with any new projector as I think this will probably offer more future-proofing and be beneficial to whatever model I choose, and by which time all the HDR / calibration options should be in place.

Dave

8. AidenL

AidenL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,419
    So you saw no significant advantage then? Hmm, making me think now, maybe the X5000 will be enough as a stopgap.

9. indus

indus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    Good topic Aiden. I'm in a very similar situation and am trying to figure out what to do. However my current PJ (Sony vpl-hw10) isn't as good as yours so I'm really itching for an upgrade.

Bandyka is just about to swap his 5000 for a 7000 so it will be interesting to see his findings.

10. AidenL

AidenL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,419
    Yeah, I'm finding it a real head scratcher.

I'm actually afraid that apart from UHD capability, I may not see a difference after splashing the cash.

I'll definitely be interested to see his conclusions also.

11. Hillskill

Hillskill
    Moderator/Games Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,451
    Not sure what the dealer situation is over there but it may even be worth you taking the short flight over and visiting a demo room. You need to at least A/B between a native Sony 4K and a JVC e-shift 4K picture. You'll then be best prepared to add in an HDR signal to that and see what you gain.

12. AidenL

AidenL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,419
    I was thinking about that, there's nowhere over here with a full range on display.

I'd have to hop the sea - more I read though, for my room, as I've spent so much time and cost getting it Devored, I should stump up for the X7000. It does have better contrast.

And it's all about the blacks! :D I think eshift does a pretty good job, when balanced against the extra cost of the Sony 520.

Seems most think also that these models will last another year and if JVC so a native 4K PJ, it will be 10k plus and sit at the top of the range. That would make sense.

13. Markkk

Markkk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I've got the X7000 playing UHD with a Panasonic UB900,on low lamp with HDR,and can't see how the picture is going to get much better
    Unbelievable picture and can't wait to the next film[emoji106]

14. pRot3us

pRot3us
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,989
    @AidenL What iris setting are you using on your X500 when the lamp is new?

15. AidenL

AidenL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,419
    I used between -11 and -8 on my screen on low lamp.

16. pRot3us

pRot3us
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,989
    You may be ok with the X5000 with regards to black levels then. The X7000 goes darker than the X5000 with the iris clamped right down. I was worried when upgrading from my X35 that the black floor would be compromised due to the new, brigher lamp, but the X7000 can actually go darker while still having brighter whites/better contrast. If I'd gone for the X5000 I think the black floor would have been worse than the X35 even at -15 (at least when the lamp is new).

I'm extremely happy with the X7000, it's a fantastic projector and even without having seen full fat 4k UHD blu ray yet I have no problems recommending it.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  17. AidenL

AidenL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,419
    Had that worry myself, that the brightness might overpower the blacks.

I could chance the X5000 but I'm still tending towards the X7000.......

18. HAWK-EYE

HAWK-EYE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +512
    Cine4home calibrated tests

X500 cine4home test unit
    Low / D65 / min zoom / Iris closed / 260 Lumens @49,000:1
    / / / iris -8 = 570 Lumens @36,000:1

X5000 cine4home test unit
    Low / D65 / min zoom / Iris closed / 480 Lumens @31,000:1
    / / / Iris -8 = 820 Lumens @ 25,500:1

X7000 cine4home test unit
    Low / D65 / min zoom / Iris closed / 320 Lumens @107,000:1 <<<,MY MONEY
    / / / Iris -8 810 Lumens @54.000;1

But considering how little you are going to use it I would wait for the next offerings.

Last edited: May 2, 2016