1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

X360 - Anti Screen Burn Features?

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by ParmMann, Sep 15, 2005.

1. ParmMann

ParmMann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    This question may be a little early, but it's one I'd like to ask nonetheless.

Does anybody happen to know if the XBOX360 will have any anti screen burn features?
    I am definately going to get the X360, it's an awesome piece of kit and like all gamers, I can't wait to get my hands on it. :smashin:

However, I think I want it even more cause I can't wait to hook it up to my 50" HD Plasma Screen, and run it through my Amp and speaker system.

I'm pretty sure that a lot of people will be hooking up their X360 to their big screens, and a lot of plasma owners will be asking similar questions.

My concern is that someone will leave the X360 on pause and I'll come back to have a Nissan Skyline forever imprinted onto my screen. :eek:

If the X360 were to have a screen saver or other built in anti screen burn features, it would bring piece of mind to hundreds or thousands of customers. Me included.

2. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Well the xbox1 does have anti screen burn measures - It automatically starts dimming the screen after a short while if you pause it, while its dloading updates etc etc.
    So i would guess the 360 will have the same.

3. ParmMann

ParmMann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Ah, thats good news! Lets hope the X360 has something similar, or better. :smashin:

4. ParmMann

ParmMann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I just had a thought, it would be so cool if the X360 had a screen saver option where the screen saver would consist of screenshots saved on the 360's hard drive.
    Would only work on the consoles with a hard drive of course, but would be very nice to see your screenshots as a screen saver.

5. andypearce

andypearce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    It doesn't stop games themselves causing screen burn and I think it's the developers that need to address it. I have a TH42PV500 and am suffering from screen burn when playing Burnout Revenge from the timer counter in the top right. I've taken to manually switching aspect ratios on the plasma to try and stop this happening but it would be much nicer if you had the optnio to move static stuff like this from the game menu.

6. ParmMann

ParmMann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Now that the X360 is out in the US, does anybody have any updates on what, if any, anti screen burn features the X360 has?

I'm paranoid about connecting it to my plasma screen, and might just use it on an LCD screen instead.

7. latinoman231982

latinoman231982

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, there. i can confirm the x360 does have a screen saver. You can also set the interval time in which it takes affect. Really nice of microsoft to include this feature.

8. latinoman231982

latinoman231982

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i was paranoid too as i have a plasma screen, but it seems microsoft have thought about us guys too that have plasmas. WELL DONE BILL!

9. Michaelknell

Michaelknell
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Will screen burn affect LCD's?

10. latinoman231982

latinoman231982

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    screen burn can occur on any television, its just more prominent and easier with a plasma. If you run in your plasma for 100 to 200 hours it not a problem, its just as likely as lcd, which is, unlikely. But that is considering the run in stage.

11. Michaelknell

Michaelknell
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    OK. But hopefully the screen saver should prevent anything anyway. Must remember not to keep my Sky + on pause for too long.

12. latinoman231982

latinoman231982

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    why, do you have lcd??????

13. Michaelknell

Michaelknell
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
  14. latinoman231982

latinoman231982

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well u havent got a problem at all. its like winning the lottery trying to get screen burn on ur lcd, like i said, IT VERY VERY UNLIKELY AND U WOULD HAVE TO HAVE THAT LCD RUNNING FOR A YEAR NON STOP TO GET SCREEN BURN! lol

15. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Pretty sure screen burn is not an issue with LCD as it uses a different type of technology (no phosphors?)
    However, have heard of image retention with LCD, although this is not permanent...

16. Michaelknell

Michaelknell
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Can you explain more about image retention please?

17. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    After a couple of bottles of wine, probably not! :devil:
    However, my understanding is that after extensive games playing/viewing the same channel hours on end, the image can still be visible on screen for a few hours (maybe a couple of days?)
    However, this image is not permanently burnt onto the display (unlike Plasma or CRT) and will eventually disappear.
    I must add though, that i have never seen this effect on my LCD :confused:

18. Michaelknell

Michaelknell
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    As long as it's only short term there's no worry then.
    Cheers

19. Galaxian

Galaxian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    It's good that the console caters for paused games etc. just like the original Xbox but it's the over bright HUD's that cause the problems.
    I wish they'd make them transparent or at least give us the option as this would help so much.
    I've recently purchased a HD plasma for Xbox360 and have currently run in for 350 hours. Playing Xbox games still produces image retention though.

Playing PGR2 retains the red part of the rev counter after only a few minutes of gameplay. For some reason red seems to be a problem where the white Kudos or Laptimes don't get retained.
    However playing Doom3 or Halo2 that have transparent HUD's for hours don't cause the screen any problems.

I'm thinking I should have gone LCD :rolleyes: