X3 Upgrade Options?

mattkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I currently run a JVC X3 in a v dark, but not strictly batcave, room. I finally got round to recalibrating it recently (dispcalgui generated 3D LUT run in madvr) and it's still performing admirably (average deltaE is ~0.35, max is ~1) and looks great. Unfortunately I think it's finally gone beyond dark (I think it's doing about 6fL) which is not entirely surprising as I've noticed the bulb now has 1800 hrs on it :)

So the Q is what to do next? Obviously the simple cheap option is buy a new bulb but I don't really keep current with PJs so not sure what else is out there. Search suggests there is a new epsom (9300) on the horizon then there is the jvc x5000 or x7000 or possibly a sony model though they seem much more expensive?

So lets say the budget is ~£5k and requirements are

- currently using 92" screen
- can imagine switching to a scope screen (similar height) in the life of the next projector
- only source is a PC so no current expectation of native 4k content
- 3d is almost never watched

I have very much enjoyed the X3, not sure what the technical terms are but I like the texture of the picture basically. I have increasingly noticed motion as a deficiency though so would be nice to improve that aspect.

I have demoed an X500 in the past and was underwhelmed by it (in terms of an upgrade from the X3 that is). I have also demoed a Sony VW300 and was initially impressed by it though ultimately decided against it on black level grounds.

Any thoughts welcome!

I think that considering you have tried the X500 and VW300 already then you either need to spend more (VW520ES for example for better blacks than the VW300) or try another make such as the Epson you mention. The VW500ES didn't impress me in terms of black levels side by side with an X500 (both fully calibrated via Lumagen), but I gather the VW520ES is improved in this regard. However, tales of panel degradation on Sony projectors has put me off buying one anytime soon.

Talking JVC; the newer X5000 is more of a development of the X500 so while it is brighter, you have a relatively small screen, so you probably won't benefit from the extra brightness.For example, my X500 could hit 14fL on your screen with the aperture at -15, so you would just have too much brightness with the X5000 IMHO.

Motion is supposed to be improved over the X3 models with the X500 but it has never really bothered me even when I had the older HD350, so perhaps I'm not the best to comment. However, if you've tried the X500 already then I doubt the X5000 will change that opinion. FWIW I find that setting the sharpness/detail settings (or MPC in later models) very low helps with motion as higher settings just introduce noise. In my case I feed it from a Lumagen with it's own sharpness/Darbee settings which I feel gives a cleaner image than ramping up MPC settings. Probably not dissimilar to your PC based upscaling/LUT system though.

Might be worth trying the Epson LS10000 as I've seen previous JVC owners move to them and seem pleased. I've not seen one myself, though I did read there is a possible replacement due to be announced later this year. Early feedback on the new Epson 9300 seems positive, but the black levels are reported to be poorer than the JVC, so I think an extended demo will be necessary to see if it's acceptable to you and whether the cost to change gives enough benefit in other areas.

i was not impressed with the colour of the epson laser pj at bristol in febuary, coming from an X3 (with Lumagen LUT calibration), although they mentioned the epson was supposedly uncalibrated.

Never say never but my inclination is that taking a step back on black level is not an option.

I didn't used to find motion an issue on my x3, it's just something that I've noticed it over time and it is still a minor issue really, i.e. it's not a reason to upgrade but it is something I would like to fix if I were to upgrade.

Those 1800hrs have been done in a shade under 3 years btw. If I put a scope screen in then the TV goes so that number will go up by some amount but I doubt it will go up that much as a fair chunk of that use is by the kids and that activity will (mostly) move to a different room soon. However no TV does mean that a PJ that can deal with some ambient light will be useful.

@KelvinS1965 by "spend more", do you include the X7000? or did you just mean a higher end Sony?

I meant to spend more on the VW520ES though the X7000 should give you an improved black level over the Sony and your existing X3.

As you may know I'm not a fan of using a projector for everything, but I don't think you'll have a problem with any of your proposed projectors: Most TV tends to be 16:9 so you'd be at the same size as now for this ambient light viewing. As per my X5000 comments previously you'd have plenty of aperture to open up for ambient light viewing and the VW520ES is a similar light output IIRC.

Perhaps the laser powered LS10000 might be a better choice given that TV use scenario? Near instant switch on and 30,000 hours on the light unit should give you plenty of years viewing.

I think they all have lens memory which would be useful if you do go scope. IMHO TV viewing would be better with side bars rather than stretched to 2.35:1, plus it helps with the generally lower image quality of broadcast TV compared with BluRay/UHD.

I currently run a JVC X3 in a v dark, but not strictly batcave, room. I finally got round to recalibrating it recently (dispcalgui generated 3D LUT run in madvr) and it's still performing admirably (average deltaE is ~0.35, max is ~1) and looks great. Unfortunately I think it's finally gone beyond dark (I think it's doing about 6fL) which is not entirely surprising as I've noticed the bulb now has 1800 hrs on it :)

So the Q is what to do next? Obviously the simple cheap option is buy a new bulb but I don't really keep current with PJs so not sure what else is out there. Search suggests there is a new epsom (9300) on the horizon then there is the jvc x5000 or x7000 or possibly a sony model though they seem much more expensive?

So lets say the budget is ~£5k and requirements are

- currently using 92" screen
- can imagine switching to a scope screen (similar height) in the life of the next projector
- only source is a PC so no current expectation of native 4k content
- 3d is almost never watched

I have very much enjoyed the X3, not sure what the technical terms are but I like the texture of the picture basically. I have increasingly noticed motion as a deficiency though so would be nice to improve that aspect.

I have demoed an X500 in the past and was underwhelmed by it (in terms of an upgrade from the X3 that is). I have also demoed a Sony VW300 and was initially impressed by it though ultimately decided against it on black level grounds.

Any thoughts welcome!
I to have an X3 but not in a bat cave. When the lights go down as well as sun the picture is great. Sadly now I've changed my sky box to 2160p I can't use sky with projector. I also can't use my Xbox one s due to settings. I can only use bluray, unless I want to constantly change output on sky box . So now stuck with upgrading my projector and would be interested in options. It seems to be the options are the jvc x5000 it the new Epsom

Perhaps the laser powered LS10000 might be a better choice given that TV use scenario? Near instant switch on and 30,000 hours on the light unit should give you plenty of years viewing.
just to clarify this one.... I watch basically no TV, my wife watches a minimal amount, kids watch some.

EDIT: Having said that, I think the longevity aspect (that is normally associated with TV usage) is perhaps still important for me given that I am sitting here in the dark typing this while my PJ simply provides a backdrop for music playback. I guess that's how we get to 600hrs a year on the bulb.

The VW520 is too much for sure, I love having a pj but I'm not spending £8k on one (after all, how will I afford burning cash on making speakers if I spend it on a PJ :eek:)

If the VW520ES is too expensive, then that should rule out any Sony options since you've already said you don't want to have a worse black level than now, since you've already written off the VW300ES (I doubt the VW320ES will make that much difference to black level). So that's Sony out.

The X7000 is too expensive and the X5000 probably not that much different to the X500 in your set up since you won't need the extra light output and the '5000 has a lower native contrast than the '500. So that's JVC out.

You don't need the quick start of the laser light engine. So that's the LS10000 out.

In that case, either wait to see what new models get announced next month/early Oct and/or go and have a demo of the 9300 once the production units are available, though I have a feeling the black level won't be to your liking.

Either that or stick a new lamp in the X3 and carry on building speakers. :)

I like the logical summary :)

it seems the options are;

- buy a new bulb
- try the LS10000 & 9300 (and if possible compare to the X5000 perhaps?)
- wait til the autumn and see what gets announced as the next batch of models

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom