1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

X2????

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Darko, Apr 14, 2005.

1. Darko

Darko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Hi

I have only just joined this forum so I am a bit new I already own a PJ its a Sanyo plc XU20b but the bulb is on the fritz and a new one is mega bucks so I am gonna invest in a new projector instead.

Here is the short list

Infocus X2
    Epson EMP-TW10H
    Epson EMP-S1H

I am using it for DVDs only and my room is fairly dark with a tiny bit of ambient light my budget is about 600 quid so if you have any other suggestions I am open to advice
    I did read your forums so I hope I am not repeating anything someone else has asked but no one seems to mention the X2

Cheers Peeps

Darko

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I've not seen much mention of the X2 either. Looks a decent machine, seems to be 4:3 aspect ratio though - if you are majoring on DVD's then a widescreen AR may be best.

The Epson TW10 is well liked - won't go wrong there.

The Toshiba ET1 should be on your list mainly because it's below £400 - no optical zoom though.

The Benq which Cyberheater seems to be so enamoured with is worth a look too.

Rainbows are more of a problem on budget DLP's so be careful with the Benq, but the overwhelming odds are that you'll be fine. And as Cyber says, DLP outperforms any similarly priced LCD by a significant margin - and who are we to argue? ;)

...PJ

3. Darko

Darko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Yup I think the epson sounds a safe bet too the tosh is a tad low in lumens thats why i left it off the list.
    And as for the debate on the whole dlp lcd thing I sat reading all last night at work and i went a bit dizzy.
    I like the look on the Benq pj too but the lamps are kinda high in price and I consume hours in a big way.
    Cheers bud

Anymore comments would be welcome chaps

4. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I'm not surprised. You'll be very pleased with whatever PJ you go for. We just like livening thing up occasionally round here by throwing in an LCD vs DLP debate.

Just ignore us. :) ...PJ

5. dj

dj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Benq 5120 can be picked up for less than £600 and includes an x-box.

It is a native 16:9 chip but the replacement lamps are expensive.

6. Darko

Darko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Where from (ie with the xbox )

7. dj

dj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I have sent you a PM.

I purchased mine from Dabs and paid just over £600 pounds once delivery was added however they are now charging £740 without the x-box.

8. Darko

Darko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Seems like a really good deal ..do you find it bright enough to use in ambient light ie in the evening with a lamp on?

And I here that DLP are susseptable to rainbow effect or is it all blow out of proportion?

9. dj

dj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I have been watching in the dark without any lights on so cannot comment on watching with a lamp on (Although we had the lights on in the hall and when the door was open the screen was still bright enough).

However the room just had curtains drawn against a large french door (2x3 meters) with light outside it was bright enough.

The colour wheel is only a 2 speed wheel the same as the X2, I have yet to see any rainbows watching colour movies. I have seen some watching B&W films by moving my sight from and back to the screen quickly while watching the screen far to one side rather than straight onto the screen.

Timh has posted some images for his in a thread below.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164148&page=4&pp=15

10. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Most PJ's rapidly "wash out" as you turn the lights on. They are watchable with a low level of light but the improvement in clarity & brightness which comes with a darkened room is significant.

...PJ

11. Darko

Darko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Prob is I have a street light right outside my window and my Girl wont let me black the window out cause and I quote "curtains set the room off" so I need to make sure wat ever I buy can compete with surrey counsels idea of safer streets hence I am stuck between a rock and a street light.

My Sanyo plc XU20b put up a good fight but i want a contender on a budget if you know wat I mean.