1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

X2:The Threat

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Hawklord, Feb 7, 2004.

1. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    I've got this game winging it's was to me and will hopefully be arriving tomorrow (£17.99 from play).
    Has anyone started playing it?
    What are your initial thoughts?

The reason I bought it was the fact that it's a title that may give me the same feeling I had whilst playing elite many moons ago. I've not come across a title that does it for me in this type of game since tbh and will be hoping this does the business.
    I've recently run out of games to play (finished deus ex2 , Call of duty, Hidden & Dangerous 2, Neverwinter night SOA and HOTU) and will be hoping this will fill the gap till the likes of Thief , HL2 and Doom surface.

anyone else going to buy this and do you know if there are any plans to make it an online multiplayer game. Wouldn't it be cool if you could fight, trade and explore the universe together:)

2. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    I got it, played it for 5 minutes, then gave up with exasperation.

The grammar in the game is dire, spelling and grammar mistakes all over the place! Lip-sync is also really bad, looks like a badly made chinese kung-fu movie in that respect.

Didn't actually get to the gameplay, as I found the controls counter-tuitive, and couldn't figure out how to modify them.

Realised it's got an average gamer rank of 6/10 at gamerankings.com :(

3. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +835
    Hawklord

Is it the recent (last friday i think) european release?. If so, i read somewhere that a lot of cosmetic improvements to the game have been made since the U.S release (which i think most reviews will have been based upon), so dont get to disheartened. Going to check this one out myself.

Dean

4. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    I received it today and have already installed (says it's the patched 1.2 version). Just going through the tutorial atm and it seems to be running very smoothly on my machine. Lots of buttons to get to grips with but initial impression is that it looks like it may tick most of the boxes.

It looks beautiful by the way:)

5. Mr_Belowski

Mr_Belowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    Keep us informed dude - I'm pretty interested in this myself, and if it continues to 'tick all the boxes' I might have to pick it up :)

6. Mr_Belowski

Mr_Belowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    Hmmm...

Looks like Egosoft have been a bit over-zealous on the piracy front :(

Some apparently legit users are reporting weird copy-protection related bad things happening, like their credits suddenly disappearing, and other stuff that screws up their games. Others are finding that the game won't install on a CD or DVD writer.

You also have to register your copy of the game before Egosoft will allow you to install patches.

Now, I can understand their zero-tolerance approach to piracy, but the fact that 'proper' users seem to be getting caught out by the copy protection is enough to put me off buying it :(.

X2's issues might be just a rumour, but I was on the receiving end of this kind of copy protection with Black and White (which I bought from a proper shop with proper money). By the time I got to the 4th island my creature just slept and crapped all the time and my worshipers needed crazy amounts of food - I'd load my save game, and they'd all go from being OK to staving to death in the time it took me to pick up and drop a load of food.

I emailed their tech support and got an incredibly rude reply suggesting that I'd have better results if I actually bought the game.

7. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +835
    no way i'd stand for that. Email someone higher up (or phone them) and complain about the attitude.

8. bodyfodder

bodyfodder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a problem like that when i first got Operation Flashpoint years ago. Their anti-piracy protection slowly made the game mess up until it crashed and needed to be installed again even if you had a real copy!

Stopped doing it after the first patch.