• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

x10 vs. B550

arfster

Established Member
Not really a fair comparison - the 550 is a good bit more expensive. Very roughly:

X10 - 450
S10 - 550
G10 - 650
V10 - 850

There are a lot of differences though, and which is better depends on your uses and preferences. Do you watch mostly SD, or HD? How much light/sun glare falls on your screen? Do you prefer deep blacks, or better colours? How far away do you sit from the set, and how sharp is your eyesight?

Last edited:

fcz_

Standard Member
Ok, let's compare it to B450 then.

-I would watch maybe 70% SD and 30% HD.

-In the first half of day there would be pretty much sun on tv.

-Well, i would like good colors and deep blacks, if possible. :) So, which one is more balanced in this matter?

-I watch tv from 7-10 feet. I wear glasses.

arfster

Established Member
-I would watch maybe 70% SD and 30% HD.

The scaler on the x10 and the 450 are both fairly average. For a step up, the 550+ are better (maybe 530+ with the US models?)

-In the first half of day there would be pretty much sun on tv.

The anti-glare coatings on the x10, s10 and 400/500 models are pretty basic. Any possibility to rearrange the viewing room a bit? This can have a major hit on pic quality for plasmas, even the expensive ones with top end coatings.

-Well, i would like good colors and deep blacks, if possible. :) So, which one is more balanced in this matter?

Samsung better colours, Pana better blacks. Which has more importance in your perception of pic quality seems to be very much an individual thing.

-I watch tv from 7-10 feet. I wear glasses.

Assuming your glasses bring you up to 20/20 (not always true if they've not been done recently!), at 8 foot a 50" 1080p would be ideal. However, if you're going for a 42", you'd need to be around 6.5 feet away to see the full benefit of 1080p - ie if you're further away at that size, a 720p set is much the same. This is doubly true if you're watching mostly SD anyway.

Last edited:

fcz_

Standard Member
And is there any difference when it comes to retention/burn-in?
Is it true that Panasonics are less prone to these?

arfster

Established Member
Burn-in..... don't think so, but nobody really knows since these are 2009 models.

Panasonics are definitely better for IR though. Samsungs you have to run for maybe 1000 hours to get to acceptable levels on that front, and even then they're still mildly susceptible.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom