1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

X10 should i bother or look else where

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by Docta teef, Jul 10, 2004.

1. Docta teef

Docta teef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I want to provide mood lighting for a dedicated room and was wondering if x10 would be suitable as i could extend it round the house at a later date. Having only just started looking i am not sure what is possible but i want to do the following

1) Control at least 2 if not 3 lighting zones in the room. (Do i need 3 switches or is a multiple switch available?)

2) Use IR to control it (understand i need a learning remote and an IR convertor though not sure which one)

3) I will be using either halogen or ideally LED bulbs is this a problem?

4) The only place i have found in the uk that has X10 that ive found is letsautomate they appear to have a limited number of items available the U.S. sites appear to have more stuff that looks cooler can it be made to work in the U.K.?

Greatful for any advice guys as dont have much time to look into it

2. Gooba

Gooba
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I use X10 and for the money is hard to beat. It has its faults but so has every system. I would suggest that you surf over to www.automatedhome.co.uk and join their yahoo group. It is a very active list and newbies are very welcome to ask questions.

1) There is no double switch available. If you want to use the X10 wall switches you will need one for each circuit. I have used the din rail mounted LD11 units which are much better as they have soft start, can be dimmed directly to any level and can be used with lots of different switchplates. I use the MK grid switches as they look like a normal switch. This helps with WAF!!!

2) I have a pronto neo and a IR7243? which allows me to control the lights. If you want to do scene lighting then you are probably better off using a PC with either Homeseer or similar software to control the lights. This way you can program mcros that make each bank of lights dim to different levels. This means you can also use any PC on the network or an Ipaq or Tablet to control the system.

3) Mains halogen bulbs should be okay but low voltage systems sometimes cause interference on the powerline and stop X10 from working. Some transformers are OK and it is a bit hit and miss. I don't think you can dim LED bulbs or at least when I tried they just buzzed like a swarm of bees.

4) I have letsautomate for all of my X10 purchases and they have been fine. On the links page at AutomatedHome there is a list of other suppliers within the UK. The US units can be converted but I wouldn't recommend it as mains electricty is just too dangerous. The other obvious problem is that if a modifed unit caused a fire and your insurance company found out they would probably refuse to pay-out.

Hope this helps and if you have any other questions give me a shout.

John