1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

X1 vs AE200?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by cyberheater, Dec 20, 2003.

1. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    Just curious. Has anyone had the opportunity to test these two systems side my side. I would be interested in finding out which has the better picture/contrast/blacks/artifacts.

I understand the specs of both machines but I think specs can be very misleading.

I know it's a long shot but thanks anyway.

2. Chipster

Chipster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi cyberheater

As you havent had much of a response to your question, I can only add my 2 cents based on viewing the X1 and taking on board comments from various dealers regarding Panasonic in general.

X1
    Personally I thought the picture quality was OK for a budget PJ, It didn’t quite have the depth of colour I was looking for, and I was expecting slightly better contrast being a DLP PJ. True, the black level was marginally better than the Z1 but not much in it. The biggest downfall for me was the dreaded rainbow effect, what can I say, has someone slipped something into my coffee???. This PJ is to be avoided at all costs if you suffer from this artefact. Even if you don’t, chances are someone in your family or one of your guests may. Fan noise also seemed a bit loud to me.

A couple of dealers actually told me that they refuse to sell this PJ if in any doubt that it will be returned by a dissatisfied customer.
    Conclusion: A very cautious buy.

Panasonic.
    I declined a look at the panasonic range in general based on dealers comments of very poor customer service and reliabilty issues.

I'm sure many present owners will disagree and are very happy.

You can see my personal side by side review of budget PJs here.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=108373

Hope that helps.

Chipster.

3. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    Thanks Chipster. I think it was one of you posts on the X1 that made me think to ask the question.

4. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've seen both & I'd choose an AE200.

:smoke:

5. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    Thanks Kramer. That's all I need to know.

Does anyone know of a cure for upgraditus.

6. Paul Williams

Paul Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi cyberheater

Personally (as a very satisfied X1 owner) I would not consider a Panasonics, but I haven't experienced the AE500. The rainbow issue would appear to be vastly over emphasized as this machine is a great seller in the US and if it was that bad there would be loads of s/hand units around. The up and comming unit would appear to be the Z2 - based on forum traffic here and in the US and recent polls of both the X1 and Z2's found that the majority were (pre)ordered blind. The issue is as always, the satisfied customers just get on and use the PJ's, the dissatisfied minority are far more vocal. This is not that there views are not valid, but again tend to attain undue emphasis.

Paul.

7. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    Good point Paul,

And at both avforums and avs, there are people more vocal as it is a good place to describe, analyse and spot a fault.

As I now regularly state imo, DLP leaves LCD images trailing and as long as the rainbow problem is minimal then I would say DLP is the way to go.

Saw Jurrasic Park 3 on the X1 and it looked superb.

Cap:)