1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

X1; Distance Selling and Returns. What's the retailers view

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by alan5757, Aug 14, 2004.

1. alan5757

alan5757

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Looking for some advice. Been trying to get a demo of the infocus X1 in the Newcastle Upon Tyne area without success. It's at an amazing price when you think the Screenplay 4800 (its very near relative) was £1200 just about 3 months ago. However, don't want to buy blind in case of rainbows especially as my wife suffers with epilepsy.

Have seen previous threads on distance selling, which seem to suggest it is ok to buy one, and if it turns out to be unsuitable then just make arrangements, within 7 days, to return it.

Does this mean I can actually use it putting a number of hours on the bulb? Or does this mean it can sit in the box unused while I think about its suitability for 7 days.

I'd be grateful for the views of other members with previous first hand experience of distance selling, and even more grateful for the views of the retailers who frequent the forum (although I appreciate this is a thread they mightn't like to get involved in).

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Distance selling regulations aren't provided for "home demo" or "approval" purposes.

Items returned must be saleable again "as new".

Basically, no, you can't make use of this regulation. Better get on the phone & locate your nearest stockist for a demo.

Best of luck.

:smoke:

3. alan5757

alan5757

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Despite all my enquiries still unable to get a demo of the X1. Took a gamble, and bought it.

Watched LOTR - Two Towers. Yes, I can see rainbows. So can my wife. Not enough to spoil the film. Watched Nemo - awesome, no rainbows. Watched a clip of a golden oldie, Pinochio - no rainbows. These were via s-video. Then checked out the football on sky, using composite. This produced a better image than I was expecting. I'll cope with it quite happily in the short term. Again no rainbows.

Overall, I'm very pleased. While we see rainbows - we can live with them. It's much better when you start watching the film, rather than watching for rainbows. Cartoon films see great - so young kids (who don't understand, shouldn't have issues with rainbows. Watching football is fine, probably because they try to keep the picture bright and less contrasty (stands to reason as you wouldn't see much of the game otherwise). At £600 quid or thereabouts - go for it. Can't believe that 6 months ago I was considering rear projection. Its a different league

4. alan5757

alan5757

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    And another thing.

At £600 it is almost disposable. I'll get 3-4 years from it with a 4000 hours bulb. Then can either buy a new bulb or sell it cheap, and re-assess the market at that time which will have moved on by leaps and bounds

5. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Glad you're happy with your choice..... :smashin:

£600 for a new front projection set-up....... :eek: Soon everyone will want one !!! :thumbsup:

Sean.