1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

X1 component connections

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by willncc, Jul 19, 2004.

1. willncc

willncc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apologies, I know this is old news, but I've read the FAQ on this and am none the wiser.

I don't really understand the various resolutions (480i and all that), but I have recently taken ownership of a Panny E-55 DVD Recorder. Will I be ok connecting the component outputs to the VGA input on the projector (via the adapter), as I want to keep the S-Video input for my Laserdisc and dreamcast....

Hopefully this will be a quick'n'easy question for someone??

Ta
    Will

2. RichieG

RichieG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Will,

The VGA input only takes a progressive signal (480p, 576p etc). If the Panny E-55 has a progressive scan and you enable it will work - otherwise not.
    Richard

3. willncc

willncc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Richard,

Yep, it has, but as its a PAL machine, I was a bit concerned about it being 486p (if thats what would happen), and whether the X1 would just scale this down and deal with it OK...

Obviously I can output in NTSC, but I've got about 1 50/50 split PAL and NTSC discs, so would be far from ideal

4. RichieG

RichieG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a Denon 2900 outputting progressive fed into the VGA port on the X1. PAL discs give 576P, NTSC 480P.

The X1 scales down PAL to fit (not sure to what), NTSC 480 is not scaled (some cropping according to X1 FAQ).

It just works - I dont think there is a need to worry about it...

5. willncc

willncc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Richie,

That last sentence is what I've been looking for....