1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

X1 60Hz question

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by willncc, Jan 5, 2004.

1. willncc

willncc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've checked the X1 FAQ but this doesn't seem to help....

I recently brought back an X1 from a visit to the states. Everything is working perfectly, except when I try and run dreamcast games at 60hz - the output goes haywire. I don't understand this as it plays pure NTSC fine. I've tried switching it manually to NTSC but no joy.

Is this because I am effectively trying to play PAL at 60Hz, which it doesn't like? If anyone knows how to get round this i will be eternally grateful..I don't want to start Metropolis Street Racer all over again in 50Hz...!!!!

EDIT - just in case anyone out there does have a suggestion, another oddity is that it plays US and JAP Dreamcast games (which I presume default to NTSC and therefore 60Hz automatically) fine.....

2. Paul Williams

Paul Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi willncc,

Sorry I can't give you an answer (strictly DVD as a source) but you may wish to either email 'technut @ shaw.ca' direct the person who maintains the X1 FAQ. Or try the Infocus support helpline, but I don't know if you'll be able to use the listed 0800 UK line as the unit was not UK purchased, there is an email support link on their web site - but the only time I used it I got thrown out at the last minute. See below for the support link

http://www.infocus.com/service/contact_support/contacts.asp?site_lang=1&site_region=3&

The other option would be to post on avsforum.com, where the user base for this machine is far greater.

Paul

3. willncc

willncc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Paul,

I'll see what I can dig out

Will

4. willncc

willncc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry for posting what now appears to have been a pointless question, as this now seems to work fine, with the PJ sorting itself out on Auto for the video system.....???(utterly confused as to why that is though).

I do have a new question though...when I'm using the dreamcast, I am likely to switch from 50 to 60 Hz fairly frequently, as I change games. Is the constant changing in speed likely to be wearing for the wheel on the PJ?

Thanks

5. Paul Williams

Paul Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi willncc,

Don't think you'll be able to get a definitive answer for this one, as the unit has not been around long enough to provide a good volume of anacdotal evidence. As you know the effect of moving between 50 & 60 Hz (as with PAL & NTSC) is a change in the speed of the colour wheel. Given the relativelly high speeds the issues will be the change between them - 6000 to 7200rpm. In reality this is not that greater difference and the colour wheel is not exactly substantial in terms of mass.

Paul

6. willncc

willncc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Paul (again)!!