X1 60Hz question

W

willncc

Hi,

I've checked the X1 FAQ but this doesn't seem to help....

I recently brought back an X1 from a visit to the states. Everything is working perfectly, except when I try and run dreamcast games at 60hz - the output goes haywire. I don't understand this as it plays pure NTSC fine. I've tried switching it manually to NTSC but no joy.

Is this because I am effectively trying to play PAL at 60Hz, which it doesn't like? If anyone knows how to get round this i will be eternally grateful..I don't want to start Metropolis Street Racer all over again in 50Hz...!!!!

EDIT - just in case anyone out there does have a suggestion, another oddity is that it plays US and JAP Dreamcast games (which I presume default to NTSC and therefore 60Hz automatically) fine.....

Hi willncc,

Sorry I can't give you an answer (strictly DVD as a source) but you may wish to either email 'technut @ shaw.ca' direct the person who maintains the X1 FAQ. Or try the Infocus support helpline, but I don't know if you'll be able to use the listed 0800 UK line as the unit was not UK purchased, there is an email support link on their web site - but the only time I used it I got thrown out at the last minute. See below for the support link

http://www.infocus.com/service/contact_support/contacts.asp?site_lang=1&site_region=3&

The other option would be to post on avsforum.com, where the user base for this machine is far greater.

Paul

Sorry for posting what now appears to have been a pointless question, as this now seems to work fine, with the PJ sorting itself out on Auto for the video system.....???(utterly confused as to why that is though).

I do have a new question though...when I'm using the dreamcast, I am likely to switch from 50 to 60 Hz fairly frequently, as I change games. Is the constant changing in speed likely to be wearing for the wheel on the PJ?

Thanks

Hi willncc,

Don't think you'll be able to get a definitive answer for this one, as the unit has not been around long enough to provide a good volume of anacdotal evidence. As you know the effect of moving between 50 & 60 Hz (as with PAL & NTSC) is a change in the speed of the colour wheel. Given the relativelly high speeds the issues will be the change between them - 6000 to 7200rpm. In reality this is not that greater difference and the colour wheel is not exactly substantial in terms of mass.

Paul

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom