Bargain Expired X-Rite i1Display Pro < £140 @ Amazon

Judging by what the calibrator told me from his experience and others I've read elsewhere, I'm reasonably confident it wasn't down to laser drift, but that's not to say it's not possible. I think there was a case where one calibrator said he saw a laser pj that had drifted more than any lamp based pj but that seems more like an exception than the rule, or even a faulty unit.

I think laser has other attributes such as a cleaner, calmer more stable image that is more important to me than how often it may need calibrating compared to a lamp based pj for example.
Thanks Peter.

Am I right in thinking that in your experience, the laser offers a cleaner, calmer more stable image PLUS the benefit of not needing calibration as often as a lamp based pj? If so, is this generally accepted?

Cheers. Bill

Is the higher nits figure for the UF a measure of its higher gain?
It's brighter, so likely yes, but also a different colour. To be sure if the brightness is useable I'd need to calibrate the peak white for each to D65, and I've put the samples away for the night... :)

Thanks for doing that James.

So if the Spandex has a blue shift compared to the UF, without recalibrating the image the UF should measure less blue shouldn't it?
Yes, that is what I would expect. If you overlay the spandex on the UF it does look "bluer" in the light of my UHP lamp, so it stands to reason.

Thanks Peter.

Am I right in thinking that in your experience, the laser offers a cleaner, calmer more stable image PLUS the benefit of not needing calibration as often as a lamp based pj? If so, is this generally accepted?

Cheers. Bill

I don't know about generally accepted but I have seen a lot of similar comments elsewhere with regard to the image it produces, and the laser JVC gets similar comments when compared to the lamp based models, but ideally you'd try and see and compare so you can decide what ticks the most boxes for you.

Yes, that is what I would expect. If you overlay the spandex on the UF it does look "bluer" in the light of my UHP lamp, so it stands to reason.

Reminds me when I saw some Stewart ST130 over a Beamax screen - the Beamax had an obvious pink push to it. I'll try and measure a full white field and see what it comes out like with Ricky's Spandex 709 settings and my UF 709 settings. Not sure when but hopefully soonish. I may even try and measure the Spandex with Ricky's settings and see what that looks like with my meter - that would be interesting.

Measured with my Jeti 1201.
Completely off topic and shamelessly self-indulgent but, I've been trying for years to get my i1Pro corrected using a reference spectro, without success. So if you're anywhere near Silverstone, with Jeti in tow, there's a free lunch waiting for you, in exchange for 30 minutes of your time. :D

Paul

Completely off topic and shamelessly self-indulgent but, I've been trying for years to get my i1Pro corrected using a reference spectro, without success. So if you're anywhere near Silverstone, with Jeti in tow, there's a free lunch waiting for you, in exchange for 30 minutes of your time. :D
Unlikely to happen anytime soon, sorry - I'm seldom round that way. I've not sent it in for cal since I've had it either...!

Before I got the heads up on it I had spoken to @Canary_Jules who was up for profiling only when in the area for what I thought was sensible money given the cost of the meters. He has a more recent 1501 (I recall). You probably stand more chance of him being near you any time soon.

Unlikely to happen anytime soon, sorry - I'm seldom round that way. I've not sent it in for cal since I've had it either...!

Before I got the heads up on it I had spoken to @Canary_Jules who was up for profiling only when in the area for what I thought was sensible money given the cost of the meters. He has a more recent 1501 (I recall). You probably stand more chance of him being near you any time soon.
No worries and yes, I appreciate you're probably not over my way very often (if at all). One can hope though. :D

Jules is who I've been in touch with, off and on for what must be two years now and I've just missed him again, much to my annoyance (100% my fault). I've made a new pact with myself to check in on here everyday, so I don't miss him again.
And yes, I think what's he's offering, and for the rate he's offering it at, is exceptional. As a reference, I Contacted Steve at Light Illusion to rent a 1501 from him and that was £2k a day, plus £10k deposit. Understandable but, way more than I'm willing to spend for a hobby.

I guess it's a fairly unique service and so it's understandable the constraints Jule's, has to put around it. It's a business after all. Maybe I need to drum up some more calibration business for him in my area, to get him around more often. :D

Paul

Last edited:
I hesitate to get into this conversation, but I couldn't resist googling a JETI 1501... from what I can find, they cost £5k new, so I'm surprised that it costs £2k a day plus £10k deposit to rent one! That's a good return on investment! (I'm not criticising anyone on costs, just thinking out loud about something I'm not experienced in, but somewhat intrigued.)

I just got my I1 display pro profiled to a JETI 1501, and it was around de3 off on the JVC projector, as it looked i would never do a 3d lut calibration without a profiled meter.

So im thinking what if someone with a JETI would sell corrections, send him your Xrite, get the correction nr you can punch in manually in HCFR, you have a very very competitive tool.
But it will still take quite a few years to develope the skils to do a good calibration, and thats if you have the skills for it.

I hesitate to get into this conversation, but I couldn't resist googling a JETI 1501... from what I can find, they cost £5k new, so I'm surprised that it costs £2k a day plus £10k deposit to rent one! That's a good return on investment! (I'm not criticising anyone on costs, just thinking out loud about something I'm not experienced in, but somewhat intrigued.)
In the US Flanders Scientific were renting out to pro video folk a high end spectro and colorimeter package for $1000 + either $10K deposit or $1000 insurance policy, a bit cheaper but still expensive (CR250 Spectroradiometer and CR-100 Colorimeter Rental) . At the end of the day you've got to make enough on the rentals that go well to cover the ones that don't, ongoing servicing and maintenance, etc. Hey, maybe if you've got a spare £5k you could go into competition... :)

I just got my I1 display pro profiled to a JETI 1501, and it was around de3 off on the JVC projector, as it looked i would never do a 3d lut calibration without a profiled meter.

So im thinking what if someone with a JETI would sell corrections, send him your Xrite, get the correction nr you can punch in manually in HCFR, you have a very very competitive tool.
But it will still take quite a few years to develope the skils to do a good calibration, and thats if you have the skills for it.
Chromapure did /do this for meters they supplied. Spectracal also, with the C6 meter.
It isn't as easy as you'd think as you need to have representative samples of each display type as the point is the spectro is a true spectral measurement whereas the colorimeter will vary differently against different display tech depending on how far away the filters are from the CIE standard observer.

Thats why i got mine profiled for the displays i have, and know how its setup, and no matter what its much closer to acurate than without the profiling, and get some very nice repetability, even i take it down and put it up again.
You still need to keep your eyes open, and apply some logic when calibrating, and not just trust your meter 100%, same goes with the JETI.

Was actually not able to get a good reading of the CRT with the JETI, so i had to do a perceptual matching to my JVC that was spot on.

Last edited:
They say a dE of 3 or less is unnoticeable, and I believe a dE of 2 or less is preferential for reference white, but I find that although you may be able to see a difference in a side by side comparison, it's going to be much harder when doing A/B comparisons.

Generally it is considered a Delta E 2000 error of 3 or below is unperceivable to an error of 0 with moving content/images viewed side by side.

A Delta E 2000 error of 1 or below is considered unperceivable to an error of 0 with static images/content viewed side by side.

I agree, you can split hairs all day long doing calibration & drive yourself crazy whilst draining your bank account for very little improvement.

You can spend weeks (I have) looking at test patterns & graphs but the real test is with actual content.

I use an i1Display Pro profiled with with i1 Pro 1 Rev D that I purchased used & have had re-certified by X-Rite. I also have a Lumagen that I use as pattern generator but I had this already.

All in all I have spent around £800 including CalMAN but feel I have a fairly accurate setup for what I have spent & have been able to calibrate five displays & learned a lot in the process.

I can also at anytime touch up my projector or TV if I am not happy.

Yes its probably not totally perfect but for someone doing this as a hobby I am not willing to spend anymore for the amount of improvement I will glean.

Last edited:
I also have a I1pro Rev D, and always found that it was often way more off than the I1 display pro, so i never profile to that one, heard the same from others.

I also have a I1pro Rev D, and always found that it was often way more off than the I1 display pro, so i never profile to that one, heard the same from others.

When was the last time your i1 Pro 1 was re-certified?

never bothered, as a recertification wont change the tolerances of the i1Pro, think its fairly well documented as a not very acurate, outdated meter.

what was the tolerances on your last re certification/ how acurate is it compared to a reference meter.?

never bothered, as a recertification wont change the tolerances of the i1Pro, think its fairly well documented as a not very acurate, outdated meter.

what was the tolerances on your last re certification/ how acurate is it compared to a reference meter.?

I am not going to say the i1 Pro 1 is the most accurate meter on the planet, of course its not but then brand new it retailed for just over £1000 when it was released.

What I will say is that it is going to be far more accurate than using an i1 Display Pro directly out of the box with a generic profile. Using a re-certified i1 Pro 1 to create a profile with your display for your i1 Display Pro always will be more accurate.

After re-certification by X-Rite I had it referenced against a CR 250 & it showed difference in Delta E 2000 error of 0.5 max.

The age of the i1 Pro 1 does not effect me for what I use it for, I dont care the peak luminance it can read is 300 nits or that it needs a dark reading every 10 minutes. I just need it to create a profile which takes 3 minutes & can be done at a lower luminance level for HDR.

I think for someone who is buying calibration equipment for a hobby it is more than suitable, I am not mastering or grading content & neither am I calibrating for a living.

Even if you have your i1 Display Pro profiled against the most accurate meter in the world the i1 Display Pro will drift over time & your calibration profile will be more & more inaccurate the more time that passes.

Even though my i1 Pro 1 is not as accurate as a £5000 JETI I would much rather create a fresh profile for every display I calibrate than use an old profile I created months or years ago with a more accurate meter.

I am not going to say the i1 Pro 1 is the most accurate meter on the planet, of course its not but then brand new it retailed for just over £1000 when it was released.

What I will say is that it is going to be far more accurate than using an i1 Display Pro directly out of the box with a generic profile. Using a re-certified i1 Pro 1 to create a profile with your display for your i1 Display Pro always will be more accurate.

After re-certification by X-Rite I had it referenced against a CR 250 & it showed difference in Delta E 2000 error of 0.5 max.

The age of the i1 Pro 1 does not effect me for what I use it for, I dont care the peak luminance it can read is 300 nits or that it needs a dark reading every 10 minutes. I just need it to create a profile which takes 3 minutes & can be done at a lower luminance level for HDR.

I think for someone who is buying calibration equipment for a hobby it is more than suitable, I am not mastering or grading content & neither am I calibrating for a living.

Even if you have your i1 Display Pro profiled against the most accurate meter in the world the i1 Display Pro will drift over time & your calibration profile will be more & more inaccurate the more time that passes.

Even though my i1 Pro 1 is not as accurate as a £5000 JETI I would much rather create a fresh profile for every display I calibrate than use an old profile I created months or years ago with a more accurate meter.

I doubt you will have a de around 0,5 difference from a reference on different displays, i tested it on my JVC projector and i noticed it looked fair, and with CRT it just looked compleetly off, i had it for many years, and its always been a instrument i would not trust, where the I1display pro hed its own pretty well, and after 7 years it measured the same as a new unit, ill try measure the 100% withe on my new JVC that was just calibrated with the JETI/ Klein K10a, and see how the i1pro see that, and ill be able to check with the I1display pro that was just profiled to the JETI, still have the same tripod setup and distance.

I doubt you will have a de around 0,5 difference from a reference on different displays, i tested it on my JVC projector and i noticed it looked fair, and with CRT it just looked compleetly off, i had it for many years, and its always been a instrument i would not trust, where the I1display pro hed its own pretty well, and after 7 years it measured the same as a new unit, ill try measure the 100% withe on my new JVC that was just calibrated with the JETI/ Klein K10a, and see how the i1pro see that, and ill be able to check with the I1display pro that was just profiled to the JETI, still have the same tripod setup and distance.

No worries we will have to agree to disagree & I dont want to derail this thread to be about the i1 Pro 1 I just wanted to share my experience with others as to how I got the results I am happy with & many others have too using the same equipment.

I use an i1Display Pro profiled with with i1 Pro 1 Rev D that I purchased used & have had re-certified by X-Rite. I also have a Lumagen that I use as pattern generator but I had this already.
Is that the i1proD you picked up off me on eBay? Out of interest, did they just re-certify it (ie measure it and tell you it met their spec) or did they re-calibrate it (ie adjust it to make it meet spec?). Was it expensive? (I've still got an i1pro2 that I only use with JVC autocal, use a Jeti 1201 for most other stuff).

Glad it sounds like you're getting good results out of it anyhow :)

Is that the i1proD you picked up off me on eBay? Out of interest, did they just re-certify it (ie measure it and tell you it met their spec) or did they re-calibrate it (ie adjust it to make it meet spec?). Was it expensive? (I've still got an i1pro2 that I only use with JVC autocal, use a Jeti 1201 for most other stuff).

Glad it sounds like you're getting good results out of it anyhow :)

It could very well be as your name rings a bell if it is similar to your eBay ID.

I did use it after I purchased it but I decided to get it re-certified, I would have to get out the report but they made some adjustments to bring it back line.

It cost around £150 including the postage all the way back to Switzerland where it was manufactured.

I have been really happy with it, like I said I had the opportunity to compare it to a CR 250 & was very surprised with how accurate it was. Yes this was only on one display type & at 100% saturation points as we did not have long but I was more than happy with it for what I have paid.

Funny you mention the i1 Pro 2 just picked up one on eBay for £110 with everything other than the beamer holder. I could not resist at this bargin price as even with re-certification it is a steal.

To expand on what I wrote, the Jeti 1501 comes as a package with the CR 250. So I was misleading somewhat. Regardless, if I wanted to profile my meter against the Jeti 1501, what I stated, is what it would cost to do so.

Funny you mention the i1 Pro 2 just picked up one on eBay for £110 with everything other than the beamer holder. I could not resist at this bargin price as even with re-certification it is a steal.
Well done!

I look on eBay every so often for such a deal but never see any, even close to that. So hats off to you for picking up an i1Pro 2 so cheaply.
I'd be interested to know how well it compares to the i1Pro in terms of accuracy.

Paul

I think with the i1pro/2's it is quite a bit of luck of the draw. For a while I had both i1pro2 and 1pro (which I sold as it was older, and not strictly supported on the JVC autocal) and since got the Jeti 1201. The 1201 appears to read closer to my historic i1pro that I sold than to the i1pro2 that I have now that was a few years older. Go figure.

The issue with the i1pro and i1pro2 is that there is no way of knowing, they seems to age fast, and drift a lot, where the i1display pro seems stable and not drift anywhere, sure its fine if you can profile your i1pro or i1pro2 to a jeti or a CR250 every 3 months, ill just prefer a profiled i1display pro, and pay a bit of extra atention to how its setup, and it will work for years to come.

The Klein K10A or CR100 is for sure on my wishlist.. One day i hope to get one of those.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom