X-Men: Days of Future Past AVForums Review

kav

Distinguished Member
:eek: Wasn't expecting that, I have to say. This has just turned into a must-see. Thanks Cas.

Steve Withers

Distinguished Member
I saw it last night - it was superb and rather neatly tied up most of the inconsistencies, continuity errors and disappointments created by Fox's mishandling of the franchise in the past.

rhino2k

Distinguished Member
Looking forward to this one!
Thanks for the review Cas :)

Geoff_D

Distinguished Member
Cracking movie, good review Cas. As you say, even the much-revered Avengers devolved into so much Transformers-style destruction and mayhem (even the dumb 'destroy the mothership and the troops will stop functioning' ending which was nicked from Dark of the Moon which was nicked from Phantom Menace).

Regular correspondents will know that I don't much like the Avengers movie, and DOFP wees over it from a great height IMO. It's an intelligent blockbuster, that rarest of beasts (heh), and while I still think X2 is the better film (DOFP gets off to a horribly clunky start) this latest chapter is a worthy addition to the X-Men series, and indeed to the comic book movie pantheon as a whole.

Anyone else get as jazzed as I did when the X2 theme kicks in? LOVED that, and the few bars of Michael Kamen's theme at the end of the Fox logo was a really nice touch too.

BrynTeg

Distinguished Member
Great review as usual and agree it was a superb film, looking forward to what happens next, Quicksilver was a superb character..

mentasm

Distinguished Member
As you say, even the much-revered Avengers devolved into so much Transformers-style destruction and mayhem (even the dumb 'destroy the mothership and the troops will stop functioning' ending which was nicked from Dark of the Moon which was nicked from Phantom Menace).
Let's face it, all of those were 'nicked' from comic books to begin with.

The Avengers and DOFP are completely different beasts (excuse the pun). Marvel films in general have a much lighter tone than most superhero films, and Singer's X-Men features have always been a little more serious.

I really enjoyed this film though, flaws and all (and it does have them). It almost erases the bad memory that is Last Stand, by pretty much disregarding it (like Singer did with Superman 3 and 4). It acknowledges some parts of it, but it ignores others with no explanation. It also ignores the end of The Wolverine.

I want the next film right now. I'm a massive ESN fan and from what I've heard they sneak peek at the end is not representative of the character as he'll appear in Apocalypse (which is good). The only disappointing thing is that I'm told (by people who care more about gossip than I do) that the next film will most likely focus on the younger cast, rather than the originals. I hope that's not the case, but I can see why they're under contract etc).

Anyway, go and see this film. A true return to form for the superhero franchise that kick-started the current trend (Blade doesn't count).

sammy the squid

Distinguished Member
Watched this earlier in the evening. Enjoyed the film, although I didn't think it was amazing...that accolade seems to be beyond reach for all the recent films I've seen.

The movie wasn't ruined, but spoilt quite a bit by a poor presentation. I had a brief conversation with the manager at the end. Presentation counts and it's always been bang on at the Mancherster IMAX. Looking forward to the re-watch on blu at home.

omniscientquest

I will say one thing, as movies have continued to place so much emphasis on effects this influx of super hero films has proved a perfect partner.

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
Cracking movie, good review Cas. As you say, even the much-revered Avengers devolved into so much Transformers-style destruction and mayhem (even the dumb 'destroy the mothership and the troops will stop functioning' ending which was nicked from Dark of the Moon which was nicked from Phantom Menace).

Regular correspondents will know that I don't much like the Avengers movie, and DOFP wees over it from a great height IMO. It's an intelligent blockbuster, that rarest of beasts (heh), and while I still think X2 is the better film (DOFP gets off to a horribly clunky start) this latest chapter is a worthy addition to the X-Men series, and indeed to the comic book movie pantheon as a whole.

Anyone else get as jazzed as I did when the X2 theme kicks in? LOVED that, and the few bars of Michael Kamen's theme at the end of the Fox logo was a really nice touch too.

Cheers Geoff,

It's nice to know they can still go down the intelligent blockbuster route with a $200M superhero movie (following suit from Winter Soldier and IM3, I guess). That said, I fear that the Apocalypse story may not quite be able to stay away from the Big Bad Boom Boom ending.

DOFP benefited from the dual time-lines though, because there's no way that they would have just closed with a tense, political 70s setpiece without having the effects-tastic all-out-war future mayhem going off at the same time.

And yeah I noticed the old theme, and in the Fox logo the beginning. I definitely think Singer tried to pay tribute to every single thing he could think of (Stryker, the excellent dialogue-less cameos, Quicksilver's father etc etc) within this universe.

Cas

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
Let's face it, all of those were 'nicked' from comic books to begin with.

The Avengers and DOFP are completely different beasts (excuse the pun). Marvel films in general have a much lighter tone than most superhero films, and Singer's X-Men features have always been a little more serious.

I really enjoyed this film though, flaws and all (and it does have them). It almost erases the bad memory that is Last Stand, by pretty much disregarding it (like Singer did with Superman 3 and 4). It acknowledges some parts of it, but it ignores others with no explanation. It also ignores the end of The Wolverine.

I want the next film right now. I'm a massive ESN fan and from what I've heard they sneak peek at the end is not representative of the character as he'll appear in Apocalypse (which is good). The only disappointing thing is that I'm told (by people who care more about gossip than I do) that the next film will most likely focus on the younger cast, rather than the originals. I hope that's not the case, but I can see why they're under contract etc).

Anyway, go and see this film. A true return to form for the superhero franchise that kick-started the current trend (Blade doesn't count).

Heh, I never really thought about the conflict with the last Wolverine film. Hmmm, that's odd, especially considering the mid-credits tease in that film.

And yes, I suspect your suspicions are right - X-Men: Apocalypse will focus on the younger cast (set in the 80s) rather than the old veterans. But I'm ok with that. It's great seeing Stewart and McKellen, but I don't know how many more they can do. And, personally, I'm really looking forward to Singer finally getting Cyclops right. Maybe we'll finally get someone who is believable as the team leader, with the power to punch through a mountain with his eyes. Rather than just a whingy idiot who keeps losing his glasses, and hitting everything in sight, whilst Wolverine (the last person who, in the comic books, would lead any team) rallies the troops.

Steve Withers

Distinguished Member
There's no conflict with the end of The Wolverine, that scene just shows that Magneto and Professor X have united to fight the Sentinels and are recruiting Wolverine to help them. It doesn't even have to ignore The Last Stand since at the end of that movie you saw Magneto's power returning and that Xavier had survived in some way, so you can just assume they're both back by the time they appear at the end of The Wolverine.

Geoff_D

Distinguished Member
What conflict are we talking about? That Wolverine
has his Adamantium claws again? Or the appearance of Eric and Charles 'two years later', even though it's nothing like the dark future depicted in DOFP?

As Steve said, the end of Last Stand gives Eric and Charles a way back: the chess piece and "Hello Moira". I think it's fair to say that DOFP takes place several years after the events of The Wolverine, basically there's an entire movie that's been skipped over with them two coming back and the world being taken over by Trask's robotic army. The events of Last Stand, which are explicitly referenced in The Wolverine re: his visions of Jean, are what precipitates the war.

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
Yeah, I was only talking about Wolverine's
claws being adamantium, where at the end of The Wolverine, they'd been stripped back to bone

I agree, everything else just about fits in, or can be twisted to work.

Geoff_D

Distinguished Member
It's a very minor continuity issue, if that. The grey streaks in Wolverine's hair are an obvious allusion to a fair bit of time having passed since The Wolverine, so him getting his shiny claws back could've happened any number of ways. Seeing as Magneto is now in league with Xavier, I'm assuming that he worked some of his voodoo to spread Wolverine's remaining Adamantium over his claws.

Don't get me wrong, a line about his claws would've been nice because it's something that a lot of people have picked up on, but I don't see how it could be worked in given that the movie starts well into the future and the characters have to chew on enough exposition about their current situation as it is.

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
It's a very minor continuity issue, if that. The grey streaks in Wolverine's hair are an obvious allusion to a fair bit of time having passed since The Wolverine, so him getting his shiny claws back could've happened any number of ways. Seeing as Magneto is now in league with Xavier, I'm assuming that he worked some of his voodoo to spread Wolverine's remaining Adamantium over his claws.

Don't get me wrong, a line about his claws would've been nice because it's something that a lot of people have picked up on, but I don't see how it could be worked in given that the movie starts well into the future and the characters have to chew on enough exposition about their current situation as it is.

I agree that it's relatively minor. It's just that it was a pretty big part of The Wolverine, and here it goes overlooked and almost reversed. I hadn't really thought about it at all, beyond a passing thought
"oh, he got his claws back" when I saw the movie, but, on reflection, it's a slightly stranger choice. I guess they couldn't have had him without claws in the future and the past, otherwise people wouldn't have understood the significance of him being pre-Stryker.

And it makes sense that, sometime between Wolverine and DOFP he gets his Adamantium back - he didn't really do much good against the 70s Sentinels with just bone claws, imagine him fighting the future Sentinels!!

With all that said, following the events of DOFP, I think they should say *something* to explain his claws. Obviously he's not going to get adamantium thanks to Stryker now. But obviously he's not going to be boney forever.
So they'll need to answer that at some point.

Steve Withers

Distinguished Member
Since you mention ants, it was worrying to read this morning that Edgar Wright has left Ant Man, a film he's been working on since 2006. Is this the first sign of a wobble in the Marvel juggernaut?

Geoff_D

Distinguished Member
I agree that it's relatively minor. It's just that it was a pretty big part of The Wolverine, and here it goes overlooked and almost reversed. I hadn't really thought about it at all, beyond a passing thought
"oh, he got his claws back" when I saw the movie, but, on reflection, it's a slightly stranger choice. I guess they couldn't have had him without claws in the future and the past, otherwise people wouldn't have understood the significance of him being pre-Stryker.

And it makes sense that, sometime between Wolverine and DOFP he gets his Adamantium back - he didn't really do much good against the 70s Sentinels with just bone claws, imagine him fighting the future Sentinels!!

With all that said, following the events of DOFP, I think they should say *something* to explain his claws. Obviously he's not going to get adamantium thanks to Stryker now. But obviously he's not going to be boney forever.
So they'll need to answer that at some point.
Yeah. We don't see his claws in the 'fixed' 2023, heck, we've got no idea whether he's got the Adamantium in him at all thanks to the Mystique/Stryker bit at the end of DOFP. It was a nice callback to the original X-Men film (with Mystique impersonating Senator Kelly) but at the same time it's a twist too far, especially if we're to assume that the real Stryker is dead, because what happens to the entire Weapon X program? That bit with Stryker getting a good look at Wolverine's bone claws was wasted, if that's the case.

Nah, there's a lot more to come regarding Wolverine. They can even retcon his origin if they so wish.

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
Since you mention ants, it was worrying to read this morning that Edgar Wright has left Ant Man, a film he's been working on since 2006. Is this the first sign of a wobble in the Marvel juggernaut?

Have to say I always thought that a standalone Ant Man movie was a tough sell but, given they're going with the arguably even more ambitious Guardians next, I'm surprised that Wright found trouble with "creative differences". After 8 years on the project, comic con appearances, and test footage previews I'm shocked they ditched him / he left, but I can imagine that Marvel overlord Kevin Feige wants to keep everything within certain MCU confines, and that perhaps Wright's more extravagant style / eccentric tone just didn't fly. If I've got to pick a side though, I trust Feige's vision more than Wright's talents.

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
Yeah. We don't see his claws in the 'fixed' 2023, heck, we've got no idea whether he's got the Adamantium in him at all thanks to the Mystique/Stryker bit at the end of DOFP. It was a nice callback to the original X-Men film (with Mystique impersonating Senator Kelly) but at the same time it's a twist too far, especially if we're to assume that the real Stryker is dead, because what happens to the entire Weapon X program? That bit with Stryker getting a good look at Wolverine's bone claws was wasted, if that's the case.

Nah, there's a lot more to come regarding Wolverine. They can even retcon his origin if they so wish.

LMAO, it all gets a bit messy doesn't it. Never even thought about a Weapon X! But, thankfully, it doesn't spoil the movie one bit. And at least it was nothing like Kirk getting saved by Tribbles at the hand of Lindlehof's deadly pen.

sammy the squid

Distinguished Member
Have to say I always thought that a standalone Ant Man movie was a tough sell but, given they're going with the arguably even more ambitious Guardians next, I'm surprised that Wright found trouble with "creative differences". After 8 years on the project, comic con appearances, and test footage previews I'm shocked they ditched him / he left, but I can imagine that Marvel overlord Kevin Feige wants to keep everything within certain MCU confines, and that perhaps Wright's more extravagant style / eccentric tone just didn't fly. If I've got to pick a side though, I trust Feige's vision more than Wright's talents.

I agree with Cas on this. Mr Feige seems to be doing a pretty good job so far and if it means losing a director along the way, so be it. With the quality of a The Winter Soldier, there's nothing to suggest that things are going awry or off track..I for one am looking forward to Guardians, Avengers 2..and any other flicks which expand the Mcu.

101 Damnations

Novice Member
This movie is good but not great and certainly not anywhere near as good as First Class. John Ottman has delivered a pedestrian, generic score worthy of any old Hollywood action toot. Following the triumphant First Class score, it's almost an afterthought and certainly forgettable. Oh and please don't be fooled by the credits for that wretch, Jane Goldman, who gets paid for copying someone else's work and made famous because of their efforts. As ever, you really should read the graphic novel! Looks like she read most of it.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sky set to launch its plug-and-play Sky Stream solution
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Movies Podcast: 26th September 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
AV Podcast: 26th September 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
REL Acoustics announces new Serie HT subwoofer trio