X-Men: Dark Phoenix Review & Comments

Discussion in 'Marvel Movies Forum' started by Phil Hinton, Jun 7, 2019.

1. Casimir Harlow

Casimir Harlow
      Blu-ray Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5,880
      • Thanks Thanks x 8
      • Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • List
    2. JimboH

JimboH

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +436
      Thanks man; pretty much, if not slightly better, than what I expected.

Ill still pay my money and take my chances on this I think. Its such a shame that such a big story line has been messed up twice now as you say, although that could mean it's left alone for a while and let brew.

As it should be, it should be something that's built towards. As you mentioned.

3. richp007

richp007
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +7,790
      Thanks Cas. Think I might take a stab on it at the cinema, seeing as it is the end for this run.

Did mention in the film thread though that a Jean Grey concentrated film without Wolverine seems odd to me. Given Logan's love for her throughout the series.

4. lucasisking

lucasisking
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +20,819
      I think they wrote (and possibly shot) scenes with Grey and Logan, but the age gap between Sophie (23) and Hugh Jackman (50) was considered a bit much.

5. barnaby jones

barnaby jones
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5,639
      Although within the context of the films he doesn’t age does he.

6. lucasisking

lucasisking
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +20,819
      The character doesn't but unfortunately Hugh does! (although he's aged well). Might be considered a bit icky having him and young Sophie in a romantic clinch.

7. Casimir Harlow

Casimir Harlow
      Blu-ray Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5,880
      Considering she still looks like a teenager, and he very much looks in his forties now, I completely agree.

I'm happy with the retconned timeline having a different path for these two. I agree that it was important in the comics (and actually made for a strong ending to Last Stand) but it wasn't that missed here. They hardly had the time to do anything with the relationship between Scott and Jean, let alone confuse things with a love triangle. This was a distinct rush-job.

Hopefully Marvel will play around with the characters in a considered fashion, and build them up as per the MCU. I also hope they think about looking at Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men run for inspiration, as it would afford them a chance at giving new life to the same classic stories.

8. barnaby jones

barnaby jones
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5,639
      If only there was a way to de age Hollywood superstars for super hero films, oh wait.....
      Regardless, this film didn’t earn it, it’s lack of vision and ambition didn’t really warrant it.

9. lucasisking

lucasisking
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +20,819
      Yeah same. Knowing that this was the last one in the Fox-verse meant I could just enjoy it as an action film without worrying too much about wider storylines and arcs. Like you say, its already such a rush job that shoehorning Wolverine into it would have been a car crash.

MCU will fix it. They have plenty of time and films to build the story properly.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    10. lucasisking

lucasisking
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +20,819
      Unfortunately you can't de-age real life people in post :laugh: (if only). You'd still need the real Hugh and the real Sophie to get it together on set before the computers set to work.

11. barnaby jones

barnaby jones
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5,639
      Precisely my point, lack of ambition, forethought or a real reason for this film to exist.

12. richp007

richp007
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +7,790
      Fair points about Jackman and Turner, and the age difference. However after what they did with Days of Future Past they could have still had Jackman make an appearance and sidestepped the romantic angle.

However I haven't seen this film yet, so can't comment further. I was just airing my disappointment that Wolverine wasn't involved. For me personally Wolverine is the X-Men, and without him my excitement was always going to be dampened somewhat.

13. lucasisking

lucasisking
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +20,819
      The franchise was on its way out anyway so I'm not as fussed as some. What's done is done. People are arguing that it should have ended on a high note (I agree, should have left it at Logan), but the franchise was always wildly variable in quality so its not like the series is any more tainted than it already was. I'm just glad we got a reasonably enjoyable 2 hours at the cinema.

14. Casimir Harlow

Casimir Harlow
      Blu-ray Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5,880
      That's not strictly true to the comics though, is it? That's a product of the original Singer X-Men movies, their positioning of Wolverine, and, of course perhaps most significantly, Jackman's portrayal of Wolverine. So I don't really mind that they went a different way for this timeline, as at least it offers more balance.

Jackman arguably had the easiest character to make his own, and make cool and enduring in the process (Marsden had nothing to work with; his Cyclops was stiff in his relationship and terrible in action - actually a walking hazard because all he did for the first two movies was get his visor stolen and blow stuff up by accident), but it's not the way the comics portrayed him; Wolverine's a thuggish bruiser and an unreliable blunt instrument to juxtapose the precision firepower and precision leadership of Scott, the most loyal and dependable of the group, and both tapped into different emotions in Jean, for very different reasons.

In the movies, Wolverine was not only the tough fighter, but also more often than not the leader (basically the whole of X2), the emotional centre, the moral compass and just about everything else that other characters like Scott simply didn't/couldn't (or weren't given the chance to) live up to. There was no sense that Jean would ever be torn between Scott and Logan; it was a no-brainer.

That's what happens when actors really succeed in superhero roles, and is not wholly unlike what they initially did with the first Avengers movie; in the comics Cap was always the leader, but in the movies, it was clearly Iron Man because of RDJ. It wasn't until Winter Soldier and then Civil War when Cap came into his own, but in the first Avengers (and maybe even second) movie, the positioning of him as 'leader' was stiff and unearned. RDJ owned the MCU right from the first Iron Man. He did for Iron Man what Jackman did for Wolverine.

So we'll have to see what the MCU do with these characters as, if they cast them right and build them right, they've got a whole MCU Avengers equivalent in the X-Men universe alone.

The Fox films needed more time, a better guiding hand (Kevin Feige style) and, IMO, slightly older actors in the roles. It's telling that McAvoy, Fassbender and Lawrence are the standouts (again, Lawrence did for Mystique, what RDJ and Jackman did - so it really is casting-dependent). The younger cast are either miscast or just too young (and look too young) and would have taken too long / too many movies to really become decent interpretations of these characters.

• Like Like x 5
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    15. jdevil

jdevil
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,510
      The first film with Matthew Vaughn and Jane Goldman was terrific, it’s as good as Logan for me particularly the outstanding musical score.

The rest were very mediocre but watchable films, no different to many of the other Marvel films.

I’ve also never understood people’s fascination with Jean Grey, she’s incredibly dull and if it’s wasnt due to her insane powers most people wouldn’t even care for her.

X-men is always about Wolverine/Professor X and Magneto for me.

16. jdevil

jdevil
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,510
      I kinda disagree with this, the only reason why the shift of leadership took time from Iron Man to Captain America was due to the filming sequence. Iron Man already 2 major cinematic films and several cameos. Cap was frozen in time, so in the current timeline it was hard to interrogate that leadership when it was Iron Man and Fury that got Avengers all together while Cap was finding his purpose.

If that films started with Captain America having his first two features then I’m sure the roles will be reversed regardless of RDJs presence.

17. Casimir Harlow

Casimir Harlow
      Blu-ray Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5,880
      I see what you're saying but perhaps it's a bit of both. A decision to put that character front-and-centre (Wolverine/Iron Man) AND a superb bit of casting where the actor becomes synonymous with the character (Jackman/RDJ).

I like Evans, and with the help of the Russo's, he's made Cap much better than I ever thought possible, but there's no way that I felt the same way about Cap after one movie that I did about Iron Man (who, previously, wasn't even on my comic book radar) after his debut. So if those two had switched places, that wouldn't have necessarily worked.

18. Gambit1977

Gambit1977

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +186
      Any film promoting Sophie Turner as the main character is doomed to failure.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • List
    19. barnaby jones

barnaby jones
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5,639
      She doesn’t really have anything to get her teeth into here, through no fault of her own however.

20. Gambit1977

Gambit1977

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +186
      Fair enough. I just find she has several levels of eye acting.

21. mooface

mooface

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +147
      I'd bet money that Sophie Turner, or any of the GOT youngsters, will never make it as serious leading actors now that the program has finished. As much as I love Emilia Clarke the person, i don't enjoy her acting. I found all of their acting in GOT a bit '6th from drama project' really. But Turner was the worst for me - "doesn't have the range" to quote Rock Profiles if anyone remembers that

22. richp007

richp007
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +7,790
      Sadly any future X-Men just won't interest me without Wolverine. What I've heard about the general future of the MCU isn't really hitting any buttons for me anyway at the moment. Everything peaks, and I think with the original Avengers series we've peaked. But I'm happy to be proven wrong of course. We'll see. I don't disagree with what you say here about how they've presented Wolverine, perhaps that was part of a larger mistake in making his character too big at the expense of others. But I'm personally glad they did, as otherwise we may never have got the tremendous Logan.

I think I'm gonna pass on this now at the cinema anyway. I shouldn't have, but I've read far too much mediocrity about it today. My cinema time is always extremely limited, so not gonna be worth the trip for a 6.5 film. :(

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1
      • List
    23. SteveAWOL

SteveAWOL
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,371
      Yup, think most of the cast will feature on “where are they now” clickbait in a decade’s time like what happened to the lot from Lost!

24. jock1

jock1

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +40
      Watched this wed " Imax/3d" was not to impressed with storyline .After watching GOT and Avengers finishing there story lines , thought this should have finished better . Asper previous comments enjoyed previous movies this fizzled out .

25. epicdream

epicdream

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +43
      After watching it on IMAX, I didn’t think it was terrible, I quite liked it. The thing I liked most was Hans Zimmer’s soundtrack!

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Love Love x 1
      • List
    26. Wedlock

Wedlock

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +215
      Just came back from watching this and all i can say is it wasn't very good in my opinion.......
      The story was really shallow and though it wasn't a slow movie it wasn't really very good.

I expected more from this so my first disappointment of the summer is a fact.....a 5.0 from me !

27. Evinger

Evinger

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +549
      Thanks Cas. We are still split on going to see this Sunday or Monday (The Original Version Screenings at our local Cinema here in Germany), depending on the weather, which says a lot I guess about our indifference

28. Benji315

Benji315

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +206
      Very poor, really wanted it to be good.

The main problem is Avengers has set the bar so high that everything else just feels a bit cheap and rubbish in comparison.

Shame really, but hopefully Disney do something good moving forward with the franchise, the Fox ones haven't been all bad but it's defo a mix of 50/50 being good and poor.

29. max222

max222

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +122
      Sophie Turner is the definition of wooden - awful casting - I didn’t mind famke Jansen at all in the original films (which I think are far better cast generally )

30. Evinger

Evinger

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +549
      You see, I'm torn. I absolutely adore(d) Game of Thrones, and while she was the Whiney kid, she was convincing. But when she was "Older" in the series, I was less and less convinced. And I'm afraid it will be the same here - she always comes across to me as that Whiney spoilt kid complaining that people don't understand. My problem I know at the end!