1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

x-files region 1 vs region2 or 4

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by 7 of 9, Oct 14, 2004.

1. 7 of 9

7 of 9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have read on the internet especially the laser examiner website that the region 1 version has better picture quality butis more expensive but with the new price on the uk box sets.

i was just wondering what people think is best value and is the extra picure quality worth paying for.

thanks from 7 of 9

2. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,911
    Nothing mentioned on dvdcompare.net about the picture quality being different, according to them the R1, R2 and R4 sets are exactly the same apart from language differences and considering how cheap the R2 sets are I know which I will be getting.

3. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Hi

I have the Region 1 Box sets and although I have only wathced Series 1 & 2 so far (4:3) I can only describe the picture quality as average. It's not bad but it ain't great either. Due to the number of episodes per DVD, the bit rate is around 6Mb/s on average.

If I was buying the box sets now I would defintely go for the R2 due to the hugh price differential. At the time I bought mine, the R1 box sets were cheaper from amazon.com than buying the R2 box sets. This has of course now changed with the rerelases.

As for extras, the new R2 box sets have the same features, aspect ratio and sound but different packaging.

4. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have season 1 on R1,the rest on R2.I would say picture quality is the same.However,there is a 90 minute documentary missing from the R2 s9 set.

5. CrazyHorse

CrazyHorse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    I've read there are two other documentary features (approx 45mins each, I believe) on the R2 Season 9 set. Are they both on the R1 Season 9 set aswell as the 'missing' 90min doc?

If they are, I may go for the R1 Season 9 (expensive though it is) as I have 1-8 on R2 in the original fold out packaging and at least the R1 will look the same on the shelf :D and more importantly it will be the most complete set.

6. Graham

Graham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    The 90 min documentary is definitely on the region 1 Series 9 DVD, plus the two older 45 min docs.

As an aside, I would say that it's probably best to stick with the region you started buying the series in, as the pitch change in voices is very noticeable when you switch from region 1 X-Files to region 2.

7. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,911
    Might be a good idea to check out the R4 Season 9 set, it may have the missing 90 documentary and with is being PAL you shouldnt notice any change in the pitch.

8. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thinks it 3 45 minute docs,on all regions.And the R4 seems to be unavailable

9. 7 of 9

7 of 9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    go and look at the laser examiners website at www.dvdscan.com and lgo to the dvd reviews page and look up x-files they have done some comparisons between certian seasons.

with this info would the picture on a top quality buget widescreen tv connected by rgb and it is callibrated be better?

and is it worth paying for the exra picure quality?

thanx from 7 of 9

10. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,911
    DVDCrave still have all 9 seasons available but you wont find them unless you type in 'x-files', if you spell it differently they wont be displayed.

11. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After all that,according to DVD Crave,"The Making of the Truth" is also missing from the R4 edition of season 9.
    It looks like it will have to be R1